Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE installed!
keenman11 Offline

EFIE installed!
Mike,
I installed my EFIE today. No problem. I am still waiting for some parts for my Electrolyzer so my HHO fuel saver is not hooked up yet. However, with the EFIE turned on, O2 sensor warmed up, I get a reading on my digital multimeter starting at 00.0 that slowly climbs to about 265 mv. At that point the reading starts losing and gaining points but still climbs . I have not made any adjustments to it yet. It is as I received it. After about 10 miles of driving it reaches 290 mv slowly, but still is climbing. Is this nomal? With the EFIE switched off, the mv reading is 00.0 mv as it should be. Also I have a new analog multimeter and the lowest setting on it is 2.5 volts DC. With it hooked up, set at 2.5 volts, turned on, the needle barely moves off of 0, even after 10 miles. I'm not convinced the analog multimeter will work.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2008 05:36 PM by keenman11.)
02-07-2008 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE installed!
Yes, the EFIE is working as expected. You probably want to reduce it's value as .290 is pretty high to start with. You will find that the EFIE voltage rises quickly towards it's set point, and then approaches it's set point quite slowly. It will then fluctuate over time plus/minus about 2%.

When you are reading millivolts you are reading a very small unit of measure. The air/fuel ratio is affected about 1/20 as much as the voltage. It takes .020 volts to affect air/fuel ratio of .001. So don't sweat these swings. They look big on your multimeter, but are actually quite tiny in the overall scheme in terms of their effect.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
02-07-2008 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
keenman11 Offline

mike Wrote:Yes, the EFIE is working as expected. You probably want to reduce it's value as .290 is pretty high to start with. You will find that the EFIE voltage rises quickly towards it's set point, and then approaches it's set point quite slowly. It will then fluctuate over time plus/minus about 2%.

When you are reading millivolts you are reading a very small unit of measure. The air/fuel ratio is affected about 1/20 as much as the voltage. It takes .020 volts to affect air/fuel ratio of .001. So don't sweat these swings. They look big on your multimeter, but are actually quite tiny in the overall scheme in terms of their effect.
I went on a 200 mile round trip today and used that to set my EFIE. It is now set at .100/.105 v. As I understand it, the higher the offset setting is, the leaner the air/fuel mixture becomes?
02-09-2008 04:16 PM
mike Offline

Yes, that is correct. How was your mileage?

Visit Our Documents Page
02-09-2008 04:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
keenman11 Offline

mike Wrote:Yes, that is correct. How was your mileage?
I was getting 22 mpg before and at the above stated offset it went to 25 mpg. I'm going to bump the offset up to .130 mv & take a ride when it get a chance. It takes about 10 miles for the O2 sensor to heat up, then about another 10 miles for it to reach the offset setting here in the cold Northeast. So the first 20 miles or so will not have much of a fuel savings. That is if my warm-up estimates are correct.
02-09-2008 07:31 PM
qsiguy Offline

Your analog meter should show an obvious reading on the 2.5 volt range. Are you absolutely sure you have the correct O2 wire? In my Toyota p/u the O2 sensor wire begins pulsing between about .3-.8 volts after only about 2-3 minutes. On the 2.5 volt scale my alalog meter uses the 250 volt display, you just move over the decimal point. So if it says 100 volts you are at 1 volt when on the 2.5 volt scale. On my Infiniti the O2 sensor also begins pulsing after a few minutes or only a mile or two.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
02-09-2008 09:14 PM
mike Offline

The time it takes the sensors to heat up enough to put the computer in closed loop, definitely varies. However, even though it takes longer for the efie to come up to full voltage in cold weather, doesn't mean you wont get any mpg savings. You may get less until it comes all the way up, but you should still get some of your mileage savings well before then. Although in the dead of winter, in the NE, will be a worse case scenario. In ordinary temperatures, the EFIE gets over 90% of its voltage in the first 2 to 3 minutes.

As a note, I've tested smaller capacitors, but have rejected them because a) they don't maintain as steady of a voltage, and b) come up to voltage too fast, and can fool the computer into thinking the sensor is operating before it actual is warmed up. So, that's why we have the delay coming up to voltage in the first place.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-10-2008 02:04 AM
keenman11 Offline

qsiguy Wrote:Your analog meter should show an obvious reading on the 2.5 volt range. Are you absolutely sure you have the correct O2 wire? In my Toyota p/u the O2 sensor wire begins pulsing between about .3-.8 volts after only about 2-3 minutes. On the 2.5 volt scale my alalog meter uses the 250 volt display, you just move over the decimal point. So if it says 100 volts you are at 1 volt when on the 2.5 volt scale. On my Infiniti the O2 sensor also begins pulsing after a few minutes or only a mile or two.
I was plugged into my EFIE with the analog meter. The reading was very, very small on the 2.5 volt range. When I plugged my digital meter into the EFIE after I unplugged the analog meter, it read 290 mv, which would have been very close to the .3 volt reading on the analog meter. The analog meter does work on dc voltage. I tested it on the cars electrical system to be sure.
02-10-2008 10:31 AM
mike Offline

We probably covered this before, but did you read, "How to Read Your EFIE"? If you haven't read it, then you may find some helpful information there.

Visit Our Documents Page
02-10-2008 01:25 PM
keenman11 Offline

mike Wrote:We probably covered this before, but did you read, "How to Read Your EFIE"? If you haven't read it, then you may find some helpful information there.
Mike, I did read it. The above reply was to qsiguy in repsonse to his statement about the analog meter. Mine didn't do much as I stated. I was not impressed with the reading from it. It was just a $10.00 one from Walmart. I took it back for a refund.
02-10-2008 03:14 PM