Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE necessity question
Gary Offline

EFIE necessity question
Doug brought up something interesting today we don't seem to think about.
How come we don't need an EFIE on an engine using turbos or superchargers? They're getting a lot of air rammed in and that means more O2 as well. Guys put turbos on engines without modifying the ECU in any way and get massive results.
01-03-2009 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: EFIE necessity question
Good question. I wasn't aware of that but don't spend much time in turbo groups.

Massive results? You mean better results with hho?

I know I'd be real careful adjusting an efie on a turbo.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-03-2009 06:55 PM
Gary Offline

No, I mean like the guys in the Paseo forum: they put turbos on these little 100 hp cars and push up to 300hp, with a cam and injectors, or 200+ with just a turbo. But NO EFIE added!
01-03-2009 08:00 PM
colchiro Offline

Why would you need an efie for a turbo? (am I missing something?)

The ecu already knows how to make a stoich mix and the only change I could see with a turbo would be a higher pressure fuel pump and/or bigger injectors to handle the more fuel needed. The only reason that that ecu would be off if some other fuel than pump gas (like hho) was used.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
01-03-2009 08:15 PM
Sartech Offline

those guys use fuel adders/diablo programmers etc. to compensate for increased air mass. Stock tunes will increase pulse width to the injectors right up to continuous duty and the afr will then lean out. So, in cases where they are doubling and tripling the hp, they are changing injectors and often going to higher flow fuel pumps. In that case all the fuel tables have to be remapped with software. EFIE technology is totally unrelated.

(01-03-2009 08:00 PM)Gary Wrote:  No, I mean like the guys in the Paseo forum: they put turbos on these little 100 hp cars and push up to 300hp, with a cam and injectors, or 200+ with just a turbo. But NO EFIE added!
01-12-2009 06:46 PM
Gary Offline

I have seen them post that they'd installed some odd and end things by abbreviation that I didn't understand. That could be the chips or whatever all you were talking about. So then there IS a change in the mapping, just not with EFIE's because the stock range wont' make it with larger injectors and the extra air.
Now we know.
01-13-2009 06:27 AM
Sartech Offline

Correct. Almost all OBDII vehicles (post '96) require software to alter stock programming. The days of exchanging preprogrammed EEPROMS are gone. The performance guys will typically run afr's of 12-13/1 to get that kind of power without blowing engines.

(01-13-2009 06:27 AM)Gary Wrote:  I have seen them post that they'd installed some odd and end things by abbreviation that I didn't understand. That could be the chips or whatever all you were talking about. So then there IS a change in the mapping, just not with EFIE's because the stock range wont' make it with larger injectors and the extra air.
Now we know.
01-13-2009 07:10 AM
Gary Offline

I'd like a switchable eprom that would give 15.7:1 on steady throttle and switch off when accelerating.
01-13-2009 03:01 PM
Sartech Offline

wouldn't we all!!! Most tuning software will allow you to set the TPS % at which the WOT tables kick in. That is as close as you are gonna get to the best of my knowledge. Run the efie's for lean afr and tune for a lower WOT setting for open loop. When ECU goes open lp, it uses different fuel tables for richer afr's. Find a shop that does tunes. Might cost ya' a hundred bucks or so.

(01-13-2009 03:01 PM)Gary Wrote:  I'd like a switchable eprom that would give 15.7:1 on steady throttle and switch off when accelerating.
01-13-2009 07:43 PM