Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE no change in mpg
DAJO Offline

EFIE no change in mpg
Hi
I installed EFIE on my 2007 Ranger 4.0. I also have a fuel heater/fogger and a scan gage. I have adjusted the dual EFIE to 200mv and 300mv and ran tests back to back same road same weather (wind). The ranger has four sensors, EFIE installed on the two front sensors. No change in mpg. MPG same with unit turned on or off.
Thanks
Dave
05-18-2008 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE no change in mpg
There's not enough data here to debug you. Is the fuel heater/fogger 2 separate units? A heat exchanger to warm the fuel, and a fogger to apply acetone and zylene? Where did you get them?

Do you have any check engine lights? Does the scan gauge show that you are in closed loop?

You should also do the test in the article, http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/ReadEFIE.html - I'd like to see what the readings are from your sensor wire to ground, in particular, to make sure the sensor is functioning properly.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2009 10:44 AM by mike.)
05-18-2008 06:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DAJO Offline

[quote=mike]
There's not enough data here to debug you. Is the fuel heater/fogger 2 separate units? A heat exchanger to warm the fuel, and a fogger to apply acetone and zylene? Where did you get them?

Do you have any check engine lights? Does the scan gauge show that you are in closed loop?

You should also do the test in the article, http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/ReadEFIE.html - I'd like to see what the readings are from your sensor wire to ground, in particular, to make sure the sensor is functioning properly.

Mike
The fogger is a bright green unit in the radiator hose only, no check light, scan gauge indicates closed loop.
I will check sensor readings tomorrow. I have read the EFIE.
Thanks
Dave
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2009 10:45 AM by mike.)
05-18-2008 06:21 PM
DAJO Offline

Mike
I did voltage testing as outlined in how to read your EFIE. The O2 sensor is .2 to .7 volts. I checked output to the ECM and the added voltage is up to 1v with EFIE set at 400MV. The scan guage indicated open loop for only a few seconds after starting and going to closed loop. So why do I see no change in mpg or performance? S
ome on this forum have indicated that they could hear a change while adjusting at idle.
Thanks
Dave
05-19-2008 01:28 PM
mike Offline

Well, it appears the EFIE is working properly. We need to look now to your fuel saving devices.

I thought the Bright Green fogger added a mist of soup into your intake stream (acetone, xylene among other things). Am I mixed up with something else? And I still don't get what you mean by a heater. I know Bright Green puts out a heat exchanger so that your fuel gets warmed by your engine coolant. Do you have both of these devices installed? Please clear me up on exactly what else you have installed. I'm not understanding something.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-19-2008 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DAJO Offline

I have the device that heats the fuel by the engine coolant.
Dave
05-19-2008 05:15 PM
mike Offline

Ok. Well, what is Bright Green telling you? I'm pretty surprised that you don't get an increase by using that device all by itself. Warming the fuel is definitely one of the known workable fuel saving technologies.

Do you have a ScanGauge II installed? How are you calculating your mpg? miles driven divided by gallons at fillup? The ScanGauge becomes inaccurate as soon as you start adding fuel saving technologies, and particularly the EFIE because it uses AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) as part of it's calcs for mpg. As the AFR has been altered by the EFIE it also throws off the SG's fuel calcs.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-19-2008 06:56 PM
DAJO Offline

Bright Green blames no results on the ECM. They are no help just excuses. I have never seen an increase in MPG no mater what I do. Just spent a lot of money and no results.

I have the scan gauge ll . Before they took their Fever Buster off the market they had instruction on checking with the Scan gauge and it being inaccurate never came up. I have not been checking the full tank way except for checking the gallions used at fillup. The Scan gauge is usually very close at fillup on gallions used.
05-20-2008 04:21 PM
mike Offline

Well, here's the deal. Fuel efficiency devices change the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. This changes the readings that the sensor gives out. The ECU uses these readings to determine how much gas is in the mix. But when oxy content changes the ECU will see that as a different amount of fuel as well, even though fuel content didn't change. The same applies to the EFIE. It is directly changing the signal from the sensor, and the ECU will infer the amount of gas in the mix from this altered data. It will then have an incorrect amount of fuel in it's mpg calcs.

If everything were perfect, the extra oxygen from your fuel saver would exactly balance the change in the signal from the EFIE and the mpg would come out the same. Otherwise, your measurements will be skewed. So the only real gauge is miles divided by gallons. If the SG II turns out to be correct when compared to real measurements, then you can use it.

On a broader look, you probably need to apply more of the technology in Turning For Mileage. BrightGreen is right. It is the ECU that is the culprit (assuming you don't have malfunctioning sensors and equipment). They have been programmed in such a way that they tend to nullify our efforts to improve mpg. Tuning For Mileage has tips to help unlock this impasse, so that you get the full gains from what you have installed so far.

Lastly, what temperature are you getting your gas up to? Do you drive long enough to actually have the gas get warm and stay warm for the majority of your driving. It will take enough driving to get your coolant hot before you even get a benefit from a heat exchanger. If you drive 1/2 hour to work and back as your main driving, you will get no gains. Is this part of the problem?

Visit Our Documents Page
05-20-2008 08:30 PM
jdram58 Offline

I heard an interesting tip for those who use HHO generators it takes a lot of juice to run all this stuff. So best to run your headlights and run your blower fan to increase the amps as more amps means or equals more HHO gas produced.

And not all HHO systems are the best series is better then parrallel plates parallel being pairs of negative - and plus + plates equals one cell.

But a series plate has a negative - plate with several neutral plates in between and then a positive + plate. In the parallel plate design HHO gas gets trapped to the plates due to a magnetic effect.

Granted They parrallel plate generators still work just not as efficiently because they have a much stronger magnetism that tends to trap the gas bubbles instead of being made and released.

Where in the series plates with the additional neutral plates in between the positive and negative plates there is less magnetism or "magnetic effect" or more spaces in between the positive and negative plates and the neutral plates also produce gas because they are still connected through the electrolyte fluid.
05-21-2008 11:37 PM