Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE not effecting the engine
hazard2600 Offline

Question EFIE not effecting the engine
Hey guys,
I just finished installing my efie and it isn't changing the AF mixture. Or at least it isn't changing idle or killing the truck when I adjust it.

I have a '04 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L Manual 4x4. I have a single dry cell setup in line and a dual wideband efie from ya'll. I hooked it up to the blue (4 wire setup) wires to the two (4-wire) O2 sensors on my exhaust system. One in front of my cat and one behind.

I'm piggy backing the 12volt power from my hho setup and I do get power to the efie but just no changes to the engine. I've set them to full lean & full rich, but I get no changes.

The only part I might have erred on would be the terms "downstream" and "upstream". I assume "upstream" would be the sensor closer to the engine. or further up the pipe towards the engine. "Downstream" would be the sensor closest to the exit of the tailpipe. They are both 4 wire sensors (Black, Black, Blue, White). As mentioned above, I'm connecting to the blue. I tried to troubleshoot as best I could, but I'm not all that savvy with a multimeter. Gasp
Help!
07-25-2011 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE not effecting the engine
Many engines have CPUs that have a minimum fuel flow, no matter what the sensors are saying. So you can't actually go by the engine idle changing.

Now, I'm assuming you have correctly installed the correct type of EFIE. But if that's all certain, then you probably have an ECU that is programmed that way.

You have the definitions correct. Upstream is closer to the engine. If you have 2 sensors, the upstream will be wide band, but the downstream will be narrow band. They wire up differently, and this is covered in the instructions for our wide band EFIEs. You wired the wide band and the narrow band EFIE differently?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
07-25-2011 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hazard2600 Offline

yeah, I wired the wideband upstream as an inline connection. and I also have hooked up downstream appropriately per the instructions. I'm also sure I got the correct efie as I requested the info from the fuel-saver moderator before and I bought the efie from your site. Wink
It's the wideband dual (http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/popup_image/pID/204)

So if you are saying the engine may set a minimum fuel flow and I set the efie to it's leanest setting, it wouldn't allow the engine to backfire or die as the minimum AF would kick in. I did read something about that before somewhere and was wondering if that was the case with my engine. Have you come across any resolution to override that feature? Otherwise, I guess I'm screwed :-/ I have a tendency to never give up though lol.
07-25-2011 04:16 PM
mike Offline

Ok. But you say you installed the wide band as an inline connection. Maybe it's just the way you're using the word, but that means to me that the EFIE is wired in series with the signal wire. That would be incorrect. Wide band EFIE circuits tap into the signal wire, but the signal wire is still connected between the sensor and the computer.

The downstream sensor will be narrow band, and that signal wire should be cut, and the EFIE circuit wired inline.

Maybe you have all of this correct, but I just want to be sure.

Then, the next most common error is to not get the correct wire. If all is correct then measure the voltage of the blue wire and the white wire on the upstream sensor. Measure the blue wire on the downstream sensor. I need to know the voltage of all 3 wires while the engine is idling. This will help establish that you have installed the EFIE on the correct wire.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-26-2011 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hazard2600 Offline

I'm certain I wired it up correctly. But to the correct wires, I can't be certain. I went by the color of the wire and not by the voltage. I know I should have checked, but I'm not great when it comes to using a multimeter. I'll see if I can get those numbers and post them here. I'm away from home currently, but I'll post them in a couple days.

BTW Thanks for the quick replies mike. I know I wouldn't have been able to get this far without you all!
07-26-2011 12:04 PM
hazard2600 Offline

I hope I measured this correctly...
This is what I measured with pot set to zero:
Downstream blue wire:
.25v (up)
.05v (down)

Upstream blue wire:
3.5v
Upstream white wire:
3.02v

**Side Note
I did increase the coarse pot a 1/4 turn lean on the downstream with the following results:
Downstream blue wire:
.4v (up)
.10v (down)
07-26-2011 05:48 PM
mike Offline

Ok. First of all, the blue wire is the correct wire for the upstream sensor.

It is probably also correct for the downstream sensor. Are you measuring the voltage out of the sensor? It sounds like you're measuring the voltage out of the EFIE and going to the computer. But either way, I think you have the correct wire. The signal acts like a signal wire on a downstream sensor.

So, now the only thing I can't see is how you wired it. I'm assuming you have seen the diagram in the wide band instructions found here: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/wide-band-e...structions . There is a diagram about 1/2 way down the page that shows the different wiring for wide band and narrow band EFIEs. Your upstream should be wired for wide band, and your down stream sensor should be wired for narrow band. Is all of that correct?

If so, the final points are the settings on the EFIE, which should be done as per the instructions. And if that doesn't work (or has already been tried), then you need to go through the following checklist: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/hho-system-debugging

Visit Our Documents Page
07-28-2011 02:35 PM