Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EFIE problem?
recmndr Offline

EFIE problem?
I just installed an EFIE module for a single O2 sensor. The module came with the wiring for a second O2 sensor which are not hooked up to anything. After many test runs, the best mileage observed was EFIE set at 365mV, which if turned any higher will set the MIL. I have hear on several posts and the install procedures that most were seeing mileage improvements at numbers much less than that. When the EFIE was set at 100-200mV I observed around 10-12mpg and at 365mV I got 24.5mpg. My vehicle is a 1995 Chevrolet K1500, 5.7L. I also have other mods which include the EFIE, HHO booster, K&N FIPK2, Hypertech power programer, roller rockers and cam, and an MSD Ignition. I usually run 89 octane with 10% ethanol. My tests were all conducted on the exact same route at the same speeds with the same gas pump using the automatic shutoff. Please contact me if you have any suggestions.
03-29-2008 04:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: EFIE problem?
Hi recmndr. Welcome to the forum!

Your results at 365 mV sound quite impressive. Some guys have had trouble with with settings that high, but that's not the norm. There's nothing wrong with running it at that voltage, particularly when you get that kind of result.

I don't understand why you are posting you have a problem when you've doubled your mileage. Am I missing something?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-29-2008 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Maybe you meant to post in the results forum?Hmm

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-29-2008 12:04 PM
recmndr Offline

I guess I have never run anything like this before. Like I said before, but you guys are the experts, running this high said it could lead to problems such as valve overheating. I do believe that my truck has an exhaust temperature sensor for this kind of problem. Also, if I were to add more HHO units, would I expect to see better fuel economy? Or, because I am running such high numbers on the EFIE and would not be able to lean it out anymore, would I see the same fuel economy? Also, I have heard of controllers for the MAP sensor, would one of these, working along side the EFIE, work more efficiently? Thank you for your quick responses.
03-29-2008 01:16 PM
mike Offline

OK, cool. I just wanted to make sure I understood your concern. You won't have a problem with your valves overheating. I recommend you not run the EFIE that high, or at all, should you turn off your electrolyser for any reason. But you are fine with your current set up.

I can't answer your question about adding more HHO. But I can tell you something about that. HHO, when burned, does not give back as much energy as the energy that was used to create it. There are several conversions involved, and energy is lost at each conversion. These are: mechanical to electrical (alternator), electrical to chemical (electrolyser), and chemical to mechanical (burning the HHO). If that were all there were to the equation, HHO wouldn't work to save on fuel.

Where we get our gains is the fact that the HHO catalyzes the gas and causes IT to burn more efficiently. We pour the majority of our gas out the exhaust pipe, and the HHO causes some of the waste to be used in the combustion process. This gain in efficiency of the petrol is where we get our mileage gains. However, only so much HHO will give us more efficiency in this way. Adding more after that, you'll start to lose mileage because of the efficiency losses. I wish I knew how to tell you the exact number of liters/min is the correct amount for your car, but I can't. The only way I know of to find the exact amount that is correct is by trial and error. As you add more gas, at some point you'll hit a peak, and then your mileage will start to decline. The correct amount is the amount you were using at your peak mileage.

That's probably a longer answer than you were looking for. But that's how it works.

As to your MAP sensor: Yes you can do adjustments to it and it will help your oxygen sensor. In actual fact, it can happen that your computer will get wise to your adjustments to the oxygen sensor unless you do make some adjustment to the MAP sensor too. This varies between manufacturers. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt, and is bound to help. Please see Tuning For Mileage for more information on this subject.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-29-2008 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bandit354 Offline

Mike I did not now were to post, I e-mail you yesterday and told you that my adjustment screw was just spinning and you told me to push on the back until the blue piece seated onto the screw. Well thats what the problem was and now I can adjust the voltage thanks for the insight.
04-01-2008 07:11 PM
mike Offline

No problem. I'm sorry you had that trouble.

Visit Our Documents Page
04-01-2008 07:57 PM