Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EGR with HHO...
ghahai ghato Offline

EGR with HHO...
Guys,
I was reading about EGR and wondered if this system could contribute to increase further my fuel economy with HHO...Hmm
What I'll do is just re-route my WIS breather to the tail pipe, so now it'll be sucking on exhaust gasses...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

... and I guess all the negative effects of EGR could be offset by HHO.
11-28-2008 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

RE: EGR with HHO...
I dunno, but it's been posted today that some are experimenting with it. The website link stunk IMO (theirs, not yours), but the concept makes some sense. I mean, consider that if our problem with latemodel vehicles is the addition of o2, then the 20% oxygen content of intake air would be lessened by the recirculation of EXTRA exhaust gasses, balancing out at some point the addition of o2 from HHO.
Also, not to forget, that hotter intake air is another fuel saver. Might as well keep that recirculant up to temp. so logically, it would seem as though revamping the EGR system would be the easiest way to do it, since the technology is allready installed. It's just set to work with the existing fuel.
The question now is, what do we have to do to leak more gas into the intake, and how to control it.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2008 08:19 PM by Gary.)
11-28-2008 07:56 PM
ghahai ghato Offline

Gary Wrote:I dunno, but it's been posted today that some are experimenting with it. The website link stunk IMO (theirs, not yours), but the concept makes some sense. I mean, consider that if our problem with latemodel vehicles is the addition of o2, then the 20% oxygen content of intake air would be lessened by the recirculation of EXTRA exhaust gasses, balancing out at some point the addition of o2 from HHO.
Also, not to forget, that hotter intake air is another fuel saver. Might as well keep that recirculant up to temp. so logically, it would seem as though revamping the EGR system would be the easiest way to do it, since the technology is allready installed. It's just set to work with the existing fuel.
The question now is, what do we have to do to leak more gas into the intake, and how to control it.

Please post the web-site so as I can read it up a little...
Thanx Gary.
11-28-2008 10:54 PM
mattsauto Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:Guys,
I was reading about EGR and wondered if this system could contribute to increase further my fuel economy with HHO...Hmm
What I'll do is just re-route my WIS breather to the tail pipe, so now it'll be sucking on exhaust gasses...

Been there, done that, ghato man,
if you add too MUCH EGR to the intake, you will get a nasty "stumble/hesitation" drive ability problem, but you can try it for yourself just for the fun of it...
11-29-2008 06:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary Offline

You'll find the link and some other discussion to your idea here:
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2123
11-29-2008 07:40 AM
ghahai ghato Offline

mattsauto Wrote:

if you add too MUCH EGR to the intake, you will get a nasty "stumble/hesitation" drive ability problem, but you can try it for yourself just for the fun of it...

Excellent...Smile now I have someone with 1st hand experience to discuss with... I'm figuring out the parts needed at the moment.
So here's the idea;
A U-bent metal tube (copper) with the short end going into the exhaust tail-end while the other connects to a long vinyl tubing that goes into my WIS breather... Hmm... need to route the vinyl away from the hot exhaust pipe and I might need a bubbler to trap carbon or other impurities too.
I'm actually looking for inert & especially CO (carbon monoxide) for the latter to recombine with free O molecule to bring down the O2 level at the exhaust manifold. If the result is even 5% positive I'll probably tap the pre-cat exhaust gasses...

So bro, did you have the EGR with HHO? What was you HHO output? Can you give a bit more details on your car & setup... thanx matt

Gary, thanks for the thread...
Think i kinda understand what they're doing...more tech involved there.

Thanks for the support guys...Smile
11-29-2008 06:37 PM
mattsauto Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:
mattsauto Wrote:

Excellent...Smile now I have someone with 1st hand experience to discuss with... I'm figuring out the parts needed at the moment.
So here's the idea;
A U-bent metal tube (copper) with the short end going into the exhaust tail-end while the other connects to a long vinyl tubing that goes into my WIS breather... Hmm... need to route the vinyl away from the hot exhaust pipe and I might need a bubbler to trap carbon or other impurities too.
I'm actually looking for inert & especially CO (carbon monoxide) for the latter to recombine with free O molecule to bring down the O2 level at the exhaust manifold. If the result is even 5% positive I'll probably tap the pre-cat exhaust gasses...

So bro, did you have the EGR with HHO? What was you HHO output? Can you give a bit more details on your car & setup... thanx matt

Gary, thanks for the thread...
Think i kinda understand what they're doing...more tech involved there.

Thanks for the support guys...Smile

If you run the test on a vehicle with EFI , when you add the "extra" EGR gases to the intake, the MAP sensor will sense the intake vacuum pressure drop and ENRICH the the fuel mixture (longer injection time) -> NO gain here. On carburetor vehicle you can gain A LOT, if you know what you are doing. What type of vehicle are we talking here???
11-29-2008 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghahai ghato Offline

Damn.... my car is an EFI.... my air sensor is a MAF though.... So how?
11-29-2008 08:25 PM
mattsauto Offline

ghahai ghato Wrote:Damn.... my car is an EFI.... my air sensor is a MAF though.... So how?

Look at the wiring diagram and check if there is a MAP sensor as well, it is very rare NOT to have a MAP sensor...Some vehicles have 2 MAP sensors, one on the intake manifold and one on firewall (atmospheric pressure)...
11-30-2008 05:51 AM
ghahai ghato Offline

mattsauto Wrote:
ghahai ghato Wrote:Damn.... my car is an EFI.... my air sensor is a MAF though.... So how?

Look at the wiring diagram and check if there is a MAP sensor as well, it is very rare NOT to have a MAP sensor...Some vehicles have 2 MAP sensors, one on the intake manifold and one on firewall (atmospheric pressure)...

Confirm... mine has no MAP, it's just MAF.... then it's the IAT... TQ
11-30-2008 06:06 PM