Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Efie Adjustmet, engine light
hiddengiant Offline

Efie Adjustmet, engine light
I got my efie installed with an hho system that I built. I have the efie set at .270. My engine light came on with a code indicating that it's on the lean side. Do I increase the efie? Not sure what's going on.

Specs:
2000 Toyota Corolla 1.8 liter

I have the basic single efie board.

Thanks

Tim
05-05-2008 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Efie Adjustmet, engine light
Hi Tim,

Before we go any further, please check that the sensor is an oxygen sensor, and not an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) sensor. I don't think Toyota was using them that early, but I want to make sure. Efies aren't compatible with AFR sensors.

If that is ok, then I think something is wired up wrong. That's too low of an EFIE setting to be throwing an engine light. You can try lowering it, to see if the light will go out, but I think you need to check that your installation is for sure, exactly like the plans. Also that you have the correct sensor wire (the signal wire).

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-06-2008 04:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hiddengiant Offline

Hey Mike:

100% positive o2 sensor

100% correctly installed

I found the wire with an electrical diagram for my car by a fulltime mechanic.

NOTE that the code indicated too lean. So I'm thinking that turning it up would tell that computer that everything's cool. Wrong? Thoughts?

Tim

mike Wrote:Hi Tim,

Before we go any further, please check that the sensor is an oxygen sensor, and not an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) sensor. I don't think Toyota was using them that early, but I want to make sure. Efies aren't compatible with AFR sensors.

If that is ok, then I think something is wired up wrong. That's too low of an EFIE setting to be throwing an engine light. You can try lowering it, to see if the light will go out, but I think you need to check that your installation is for sure, exactly like the plans. Also that you have the correct sensor wire (the signal wire).
05-06-2008 04:53 PM
mike Offline

The problem is that it shouldn't be throwing a CEL at that voltage. You can try other settings. You won't damage your engine. But there has to be something else that is wrong for this to be occurring. Please retrace your steps before the CEL came on, and see if there is something else that needs to be reverted.

Trying different settings is safe enough. See if other settings will get it to go out. If that works, tell me what settings made it go out.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-06-2008 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Mike, I think the air/fuel sensor started in '99 in California only.

How much current on the cell? Getting lots of gas?

I would think .270 without much gas, could throw a CEL.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-06-2008 05:41 PM
hiddengiant Offline

I just took it out on the road and racked up about 40 miles. My son checked voltage and set the pot as we drove. We started at about .370 and worked our way down to .256. We drove for a while each time we made adjustments to make sure the efie settled to each turn. No code this time and the car ran fine. I need to rework my Electrolyzer and use plates instead of what I'm using now which is two 5/16 X 6'' Stainless bolts. It's producing gas but not like I've seen in some videos on youtube. I'll be careful not to blow up my car after 5 hours in the mall. My HHO is connected to a circuit that only comes on when the key is on so that shouldn't happen. I need to build a HHO system that's simple. I like the mason jar concept. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

Tim

mike Wrote:The problem is that it shouldn't be throwing a CEL at that voltage. You can try other settings. You won't damage your engine. But there has to be something else that is wrong for this to be occurring. Please retrace your steps before the CEL came on, and see if there is something else that needs to be reverted.

Trying different settings is safe enough. See if other settings will get it to go out. If that works, tell me what settings made it go out.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2008 06:33 PM by hiddengiant.)
05-06-2008 06:31 PM
hiddengiant Offline

Okay, maybe I'm a moron. What does CEL stand for? The code the computer generates when there's a problem? "Computer ? ?" something or other?

I'm pulling about 7 amps with two jars that contain two 5/6" X 6" Stainless Bolts hooked up in series.

I think you may be right about the gas content. I have a couple stainless plates I'll try instead of the bolts. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

colchiro Wrote:Mike, I think the air/fuel sensor started in '99 in California only.

How much current on the cell? Getting lots of gas?

I would think .270 without much gas, could throw a CEL.
05-06-2008 06:38 PM
bandit354 Offline

The bolt design is not the greatest, but works plates are alot better to use. There is more surface are in a plate than a bolt.
05-06-2008 06:45 PM
colchiro Offline

Yup, it's all about surface area. You could try a stronger electrolyte or move the bolts closer together (1/8 inch apart) to get the current up.

CEL= Check Engine Light.

I ordered one of these: Clear Educational Cell. I suspect it'll be 3 weeks before I see anything.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2008 06:54 PM by colchiro.)
05-06-2008 06:53 PM
hiddengiant Offline

I'm new to this but I've spent a lot of hours lately learning and having fun at the same time. Thanks for the tip. I'll rebuild tomorrow and let you know my results. Thanks!
Tim

bandit354 Wrote:The bolt design is not the greatest, but works plates are alot better to use. There is more surface are in a plate than a bolt.
05-06-2008 07:13 PM