Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Efie on Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl.
hanzer Offline

Exclamation Efie on Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl.
Has anyone had experience using HHo generator and working with an efie for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 6 Cylinder? I need to locate and setup efie to use with my hho generator.
06-29-2008 06:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Efie on Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl.
You need to make sure you don't have an air-fuel sensor first.

EFIE's work with narrow band sensors, but the jury's still out as far as using it with an air-fuel sensor. Check out the Toyota sensors link in my sig.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-29-2008 06:38 AM
hanzer Offline

colchiro Wrote:You need to make sure you don't have an air-fuel sensor first.

EFIE's work with narrow band sensors, but the jury's still out as far as using it with an air-fuel sensor. Check out the Toyota sensors link in my sig.

I called Toyota dealer and confirmed that it is an A/F sensor. Can I Mod this with efie?
06-30-2008 06:19 AM
colchiro Offline

This is the thread with the directions on how to use an EFIE with your sensor. Give me a couple days to try it on my Toyota first.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
06-30-2008 05:31 PM
mike Offline

colchiro Wrote:This is the thread with the directions on how to use an EFIE with your sensor. Give me a couple days to try it on my Toyota first.

Wasn't mtthhrs sensor a 5 wire sensor? And isn't yours a 4 wire sensor? I thought he had a 5-wire, and he was using the "5th wire" that just gives a voltage reference to communicate the air fuel ratio.

Did I misunderstand on this point?

I'm excited enough that we have a workable installation on a 5-wire wide band. But I would really really be excited if we have a workable solution for 4-wire AFR sensors.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
07-01-2008 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

hanzer Wrote:Has anyone had experience using HHo generator and working with an efie for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 6 Cylinder? I need to locate and setup efie to use with my hho generator.

That year may be before Toyota started using AFR sensors. But please read What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor? for resources to find out what you have.

Visit Our Documents Page
07-01-2008 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Mike, from that air-fuel sensor page under my Toyota Sensors link: "Toyota first started using Wide Range Air:Fuel sensors with some 1997 models in California. By 1999, their use had spread to other Toyota and Lexus models."

I don't know how fast it spread to those "other" models.

Another thing I don't know is how many wires does the o2 sensor (not air-fuel sensor) on models prior to that have? Is it easy to identify? Hmm

Rick

07-01-2008 02:50 PM
mike Offline

The only way I know of to differentiate between 4 wire oxygen sensors and 4 wire AFR sensors is to measure the signal wire. This is covered in the EFIE Installation Instructions.

However, the easiest way to do it is to get the documentation needed on the vehicle that tells you which type you have, as covered in, What Do I Need To Know About My Oxygen Sensor?.

One other tip, but you can't bank on this one: The AFR sensors seem to all have a blue wire, and the oxygen sensors never seem to use this color.

I'm pretty sure you know all of these things already, but I went through them for other folks that read this post.

Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2008 12:19 PM by mike.)
07-03-2008 12:16 PM
hanzer Offline

Mike,
I already called my Toyota dealer prior to my first post and he said definitely was AFR sensor. They go by the vin number to get the info. Some have them some don't. Mine definitely does. Now knowing this, how do I hook up the efie? Do I need a duel efie? The V6 Tacoma has 3 sensors...two prior to the CAT and one after. Apparently, the sensor after the CAT only alerts when the CAT is defective? Will efie work on the dual AFR? At one time carburators were so simple.
Jack
07-04-2008 07:30 AM
colchiro Offline

hanzer, I'd use a 50k linear 1 watt pot in series with your MAF sensor output to control your mixture. I still can't get my EFIE to work with my Toyota air-fuel sensor.

Rick

07-04-2008 10:47 AM