Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electrodes: Types of metal?
Zipstor Offline

Electrodes: Types of metal?
I want to know if anyone in here knows more about metal properties.. SS316 seems okay however there are some problems in occurrence. The chromium sweats through very quikely and I don't know how long it will take to rust but I know it will, at some point. It's like the sword of Damocles over my head, I can't stand it!

More to that, there is this black powder deposit on the + side of each electrode building up very quickly as well... This will definitely stop the production process at some point too.

So have anyone heard of some metal that would not corrode or oxidize?

Galvo?
Tungsten?
Zinc?

Titanium is out of the picture because of its ridiculous price, and it degrades itself as well after a while, so said the smack..
Here is an invention of plate processing. Have a look. It's called "Sintered metal powder-coated electrodes for water electrolysis prepared with polysilicate-based paints"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4200515.html

After reading the whole paper I'm still not sure what the exact claims are.. let me know if you do better than me..

>> http://brownsgas.com
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2010 05:29 PM by Zipstor.)
04-06-2010 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benny Offline

RE: Electrodes: Types of metal?
WRT build up of oxides on one side of your plates, try reversing the polarity across your generator occasionally, i.e. switch the positive and negative leads. This should clear any build up.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2010 03:15 AM by benny.)
04-09-2010 03:15 AM
staugur Offline

RE: Electrodes: Types of metal?
(04-06-2010 05:05 PM)Zipstor Wrote:  I want to know if anyone in here knows more about metal properties.. SS316 seems okay however there are some problems in occurrence. The chromium sweats through very quikely and I don't know how long it will take to rust but I know it will, at some point. It's like the sword of Damocles over my head, I can't stand it!

More to that, there is this black powder deposit on the + side of each electrode building up very quickly as well... This will definitely stop the production process at some point too.

So have anyone heard of some metal that would not corrode or oxidize?

Galvo?
Tungsten?
Zinc?

Titanium is out of the picture because of its ridiculous price, and it degrades itself as well after a while, so said the smack..
Here is an invention of plate processing. Have a look. It's called "Sintered metal powder-coated electrodes for water electrolysis prepared with polysilicate-based paints"

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4200515.html

After reading the whole paper I'm still not sure what the exact claims are.. let me know if you do better than me..

316L SS should last for years with no problems. smacks talking out of his ass if he said Ti will degrade.I think he admitted the MMO coating degrades.That catalytic layer thats building up is on the oxygen producing side of the plate and won't affect H2 production. If you want everything to be bright and shiny looking we can make you some plates out of 75% nickel 25% copper alloy that will last forever and not tarnish whatsoever.If you want even better production you can send them out and get a pure nickel sintered finish applied.
Boyce says reversing polarity is a big NO NO. It reverses the magnetic field as well which is not good.
04-10-2010 12:48 PM