Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electrolite mix problem I think
Tom1803 Offline

Electrolite mix problem I think
I have been running a 3 cell generator with a PMW that pulls close to 20 amps if I let it using 3 teaspoons of HaOH to 1 gal of water. I changed the system to a 6 cell by adding 3 more cells the amp draw dropped to 3 amps with the same mix. It's wired in series, and the HHO dropped to almost nothing. Does anyone have any idea what is going on.

2002 PT Cruser 2.4
Phoenix, Arizona
12-03-2008 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Electrolite mix problem I think
When you dropped the voltage, you increased the efficiency so you want to make this work.

You'll need to make your electrolyte stronger to get the output you want. It's possible you might be happier with 5 cells, which will decrease your efficiency a bit, but you won't need quite as strong of electrolyte. You want to keep each cell between 2 and 2.5 VDC to be efficient.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 06:32 PM by colchiro.)
12-03-2008 06:30 PM
255KCamry Offline

colchiro Wrote:When you dropped the voltage, you increased the efficiency so you want to make this work.

You'll need to make your electrolyte stronger to get the output you want. It's possible you might be happier with 5 cells, which will decrease your efficiency a bit, but you won't need quite as strong of electrolyte. You want to keep each cell between 2 and 2.5 VDC to be efficient.

Colchiro,

Just wondering here...not doubting you at all, but why would the voltage need to be between 2 and 2.5 VDC? Is it 6X 2volts (for a total of 12V), or is it most efficient with 2V vs 12V?

Reason I ask is because I am experimenting with a 2.1VDC - rated capacitor split between 2 modified Smacks boosters. High amperage (my cable can handle it) but low volts.

Thanks...
12-03-2008 06:45 PM
colchiro Offline

The ideal voltage varies depending on the electrolyte used. Two volts is the most efficient, but some people find 2.5 volts easier to work with since the electrolyte doesn't have to be so strong.

It also depends on what voltage you have at your cell. If you have good alternator output and generous wire size with short lengths, it's possible you could have close to 14 volts at your cell. With a fuse, switch, relay, ammeter, etc. many people will be closer 12.

"2V vs 12V"?

Did you mean 2V vs 2.5V?

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-03-2008 06:52 PM
255KCamry Offline

colchiro Wrote:The ideal voltage varies depending on the electrolyte used. Two volts is the most efficient, but some people find 2.5 volts easier to work with since the electrolyte doesn't have to be so strong.

It also depends on what voltage you have at your cell. If you have good alternator output and generous wire size with short lengths, it's possible you could have close to 14 volts at your cell. With a fuse, switch, relay, ammeter, etc. many people will be closer 12.

"2V vs 12V"?

Did you mean 2V vs 2.5V?

No, 2V per cell vs 12V for the same cell - 2V would be easier on the electrodes as far as oxidation is concerned.

Let me ask you this - which would be more efficient...
2V at 72A or 12V at 12A? Both use the same power, but which one would make more HHO and why??
12-03-2008 07:01 PM
colchiro Offline

12 volts per cell creates a lot of heat and make the electrolyte boil. Unless you want to use caustic KOh steam to power your engine, it's not an option.

It takes less than 2 volts to make hho. If you're using 12 volts, you have 2 volts creating hho and 10 volts to boil water.

Rick

12-03-2008 07:26 PM
255KCamry Offline

colchiro Wrote:12 volts per cell creates a lot of heat and make the electrolyte boil. Unless you want to use caustic KOh steam to power your engine, it's not an option.

It takes less than 2 volts to make hho. If you're using 12 volts, you have 2 volts creating hho and 10 volts to boil water.

OK, knowing that would an increase in amperage with a steady voltage of between 2 and 2.5VDC translate into more HHO? How would a tenfold increase in amperage, say from 10A to 100A (2.5V for both) affect heat and HHO output?
12-03-2008 07:31 PM
colchiro Offline

In theory, 20 amps should give you double the output of 10 amps, but there's always a limiting factor. It's possible that doubling the amperage might only give you 1.8 times the hho because of the hho bubbles limiting electrolyte from coming in contact with the plates. Also, doubling the current will increase the heat in the cell.

I'm not in a position to comment further since I'd just be guessing. IMHO there's little reason to go past 20 amps with an efficient cell, unless you're working with a diesel powered semi.

Rick

12-03-2008 07:49 PM
colchiro Offline

Camry, maybe this will answer some of your questions: http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php...7#pid24637

Rick

12-04-2008 12:04 PM
Tom1803 Offline

I have been playing around with this cell. I went from 3 teaspoons of NaHO to 10 per gal of water. This made no change in amp draw or gas producted. As I dropped cells, amps and gas went up. I max out at 20 amps with 4 cells and it appears that is were my gas flow peaked. It looks like that the plate size to volts, amp formula in the thread above is at least a good rule of thumb.
Back to the drawing board and "SHE who must be obeyed" yelling about the time in the shop.

2002 PT Cruser 2.4
Phoenix, Arizona
12-05-2008 03:52 PM