Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electrolizer showing NOT showing OL (open line) in electrolyte solution.
uberhho Offline

Electrolizer showing NOT showing OL (open line) in electrolyte solution.
As the topic states, when I test the cell when in the electrolyte solution I’m seeing somewhere in the range of 1.5 mega-Ohms of resistance. As I understand, that means there is a short somewhere in the cell. However, when I test the cell before I put it into the electrolyte solution, I’m seeing an OL. It’s not until I put the cell into the electrolyte solution that I’m seeing this resistance. Is there anything that I’m doing wrong?
Could it be something to do with either the Anode or the Cathode touching some part of the cell that is causing the short?
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2009 04:22 PM by uberhho.)
02-02-2009 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Electrolizer showing NOT showing OL (open line) in electrolyte solution.
If you had a short, you'd see something like under 5 ohms. If you're reading millions of ohm, that's closer to an open circuit, which is what I'd expect if you don't have power on it.

Me thinks you're over analyzing and should just throw a 20 to 25 amp fuse and an automotive grade ammeter in series with it and just do it.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
02-02-2009 05:39 PM
uberhho Offline

(02-02-2009 05:39 PM)colchiro Wrote:  If you had a short, you'd see something like under 5 ohms. If you're reading millions of ohm, that's closer to an open circuit, which is what I'd expect if you don't have power on it.

Me thinks you're over analyzing and should just throw a 20 to 25 amp fuse and an automotive grade ammeter in series with it and just do it.

You are right I should just put it in. My problem is that I keep putting cells in and they don't work. I checked the relay and I'm getting +12VDC when I test the +V out of the relay to ground. That is why I keep putting new cells in thinking it is the cell.

I will just go poke around some more. Follow the current path again with the FLUKE again. Confused
02-02-2009 06:06 PM
colchiro Offline

That's not how you test it.

Do you get +12 across the terminals of your cell? (One of the terminals should be grounded.)

You should have something like this:

+12 v ---- fuse or breaker ---- relay ---- cell ----- ground.

The relay should be controlled similar to this:

+12 (only when ignition in run) ---- 1 amp fuse ---- relay control ---- switch ---- ground

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2009 06:30 PM by colchiro.)
02-02-2009 06:26 PM
uberhho Offline

(02-02-2009 06:26 PM)colchiro Wrote:  That's not how you test it.

Do you get +12 across the terminals of your cell? (One of the terminals should be grounded.)

You should have something like this:

+12 v ---- fuse or breaker ---- relay ---- cell ----- ground.

The relay should be controlled similar to this:

+12 (only when ignition in run) ---- 1 amp fuse ---- relay control ---- switch ---- ground

Yes, when I have the terminals connected and I FULKE the cell I get +12V

Attached is the schematics for the Relay. However, I don't have a 1A fuse.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-02-2009 07:13 PM
colchiro Offline

The 1 amp fuse is a precaution. I assume the switch makes the relay power up?

IF you have power at the cell terminals, you should be up and running, (assuming you have an electrolyte in your cell, like NaOH or KOh).

Rick

02-02-2009 07:50 PM
uberhho Offline

(02-02-2009 07:50 PM)colchiro Wrote:  The 1 amp fuse is a precaution. I assume the switch makes the relay power up?

IF you have power at the cell terminals, you should be up and running, (assuming you have an electrolyte in your cell, like NaOH or KOh).

ya that's what I t thought when I saw the +V hovering around 13 (which at that point I assumed, the vehicles alternator was defiantly working). I'll give it another attempt tomorrow morning.

Yes your assumption is correct, the switch does indeed give power to the relay. I'll heed your wisdom on that precaution. Thank-you in regards to the 1 amp fuse. I'll end up using an inline style connected in series from the switch to pin 86.

Thank-you again for being so helpful. I really like how us HHO guys have taken to forum based. It's innate really. How else are we going to get thousands perhaps millions of people interacting and sharing their truth with the rest of us.

Adam
02-02-2009 08:22 PM
thomasbala Offline

Adam:

If you still can't get your generator to produce, take it out of your vehicle and bench test it running jumper cables directly from a 12V car battery to the cell. You might as well check output when you bench test. Keep in mind HHO is extremely explosive, so keep it vented. Good Luck.
02-02-2009 09:38 PM
uberhho Offline

(02-02-2009 09:38 PM)thomasbala Wrote:  
(02-02-2009 08:22 PM)uberhho Wrote:  
Adam:

If you still can't get your generator to produce, take it out of your vehicle and bench test it running jumper cables directly from a 12V car battery to the cell. You might as well check output when you bench test. Keep in mind HHO is extremely explosive, so keep it vented. Good Luck.

I though about that but how long will this car battery last me if I'm bench testing my cells? I understand that it is bad to drain the battery because the acid eats away at the plates to gain the current back. So should I buy a battery charger? Or just take it to NAPA once a week? Or just say to the hell with it and go spendy with a very nice power supply?

YA!!! Its a nice gas for the application. I had a cell with about a quarter teaspoon of catalyst and we waited about 10 minutes @12V didn't get much gas so said to hell with it, unplugged her, unscrewed the lid and put flame to it, BOOM. A lot of force this gas produces, there wasn't much gas at all but what was there was POWERFUL I felt it all the way through my arm. Great stuff.
...besides I'd rather say in my cave then be outside looking like a jackass poking around under my hood. Then again, I like that attention.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2009 10:47 PM by uberhho.)
02-02-2009 10:44 PM
benny Offline

(02-02-2009 10:44 PM)uberhho Wrote:  YA!!! Its a nice gas for the application. I had a cell with about a quarter teaspoon of catalyst and we waited about 10 minutes @12V didn't get much gas so said to hell with it, unplugged her, unscrewed the lid and put flame to it, BOOM. A lot of force this gas produces, there wasn't much gas at all but what was there was POWERFUL I felt it all the way through my arm. Great stuff.

Perchance were you a Kamikaze pilot in a previous existence?
Didn't your mother tell you that Hydrogen/oxygen, or hydrogen/air, mix was well dangerous when you apply an open flame?
What kind of generator are/were you using?
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 07:09 AM by benny.)
02-03-2009 07:07 AM