Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Electrolyte concentration and amps used...
visek Offline

Electrolyte concentration and amps used...
Ran into a strange effect when switching from Draino (don't use it!) to soda to Roebic NaOH.

Seems to be a memory effect when switching from one electrolyte type or concentration to another. This is when not washing the plates off with clean water....though I'm not certain this would actually help.

Had put baking soda into the cells after cleaning them.(running 3 to 5 amps) ..seeing only 2.5 amps cold. Then replaced this with 1/2 tsp NaOH...still seeing only 2.5 amps. So I double the amount to 1 tsp...then see 12-13 amps cold. Reduced to 3/8 tsp and still see 12 amps...but maybe falling some.

So my advice when changing concentrations or types is to allow the cells to sit a few days or at least run them awhile...before making further changes.
06-25-2008 03:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skiers4ever Offline

RE: Electrolyte concentration and amps used...
Good observation Visek! Mine did the same thing when I switched from Baking Soda to NaOH...but I didn't make the connection you made. When I switched to NaOH, I used one teaspoon to 64 ounces...ouch! Way too much, then tried 1/2, still too much, then 1/4, still too much, down to 1/8 teaspoon to 64 oz. Before I did the 1/8 mix, I did let distilled water by itself soak in it for about 15 minutes then drained it. Not sure why I did it though...can't remember now...I think I still saw a few particles of solid that I wanted to get out of there. Then I tried 1/8 teaspoon. But with the 1/8 teaspoon of NaOH, it started out at 2 amps cold up to 6 amps after an hour or so. But now it starts at 6 amps and goes to 12 amps after an hour. No changes. Just needed to run a while I guess.

John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-25-2008 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply