Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Engine cut-off switch
Mika Offline

Engine cut-off switch
Hi.

I'd like to share my new experience with you, I have been playing with ignition key and switched the ignition off and switched the gear to neutral when there's a downhill.

Guess what. On the first trip I tried it, there's a road where my car uses normally 6.5l/100km (according to car computer) when I drive easily. Now, when switching the engine off when needed and rolled downhill, the consumption was only 5.0l/100km!

I think it would be worth it to make a ignition cut-off button to the gearshift so that the engine could be turned off when not needed. I calculated that I saved about two euros on that trip which only was 120 km...

I would not recommend this to your big trucks and suv:s, because when engine is off, so is power steering, and the vacuum in your brake booster won't last many brakings and a big truck would be difficult to stop after that. But on a small or medium size car, you can easily handle it on speed without engine running. My car is 1250 kg and has (too) heavy 17' wheels and there's no problem. Smile

Also, if you play around with your ignition key, don't forget to turn the ignition on after turning off the engine, or your steering wheel might lock. Big Grin
07-08-2010 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AltheaD Offline

RE: Engine cut-off switch
That’s a nice discovery huh? Thanks for posting it. Am sure that will help car owners who can read this save more. But I think it is not good to play with your car because accident might happen. And as owners, we should know that the engine is an important part of our car. Also, we must be familiar with it.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2010 02:12 AM by AltheaD.)
07-10-2010 02:11 AM
kinley Offline

This must be real cool for people who really know about cars and I am sure they try this one out!! In these days where fuel price is shooting up, anything that helps to keep the cost down is most welcome and worth trying out!! I will definitely try this one pout and if I find that turning off the ignition can really reduce fuel consumption, I’ll certainly make an ignition cut-off button to the gearshift!!

Car wraps
11-06-2010 09:40 AM
bhart Offline

(11-06-2010 09:40 AM)kinley Wrote:  This must be real cool for people who really know about cars and I am sure they try this one out!! In these days where fuel price is shooting up, anything that helps to keep the cost down is most welcome and worth trying out!! I will definitely try this one pout and if I find that turning off the ignition can really reduce fuel consumption, I’ll certainly make an ignition cut-off button to the gearshift!!

When I was in my teenage years I thought that it was pretty cool to turn the ignition off while driving, step on the gas to load gas in the engine and turn the key back on. The vehicle than would backfire. I really wouldn't suggest that this be a normal way to drive.
11-17-2010 05:18 PM
Milton Park Offline

I won’t call that as a discovery since there are some cars which have this technology (akin to a start stop mechanism) which prevents unnecessary fuel wastage while idling/coasting. Hyundai implements this technology and calls it as a ‘blue drive’ technology and you can also install a similar system in any car you like. Simply source the parts or call a knowledgeable mechanic/expert and he will install this function in your car also.

Parts and Accessories
06-16-2013 11:36 PM