Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ethanol
joe38socalif Offline

RE: Ethanol
Gary Wrote:Rick mentioned a 20 cent reduction in gas prices from the ethanol...but I have to wonder about the increased prices I pay for milk, meat, eggs, and everything that has to do even remotely with corn. That was my biggest 'beef' with it.

You might get a 20 cent reduction in gas prices, but you get 20% less miles, so where is the gain.

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
11-30-2008 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Gary Wrote:Rick mentioned a 20 cent reduction in gas prices from the ethanol...but I have to wonder about the increased prices I pay for milk, meat, eggs, and everything that has to do even remotely with corn. That was my biggest 'beef' with it.

The bulk of that has been attributed to increased diesel and gas prices (which makes sense), and from increased demand world wide for grains. From what I remember about 7% was due to increased ethanol.

Regarding ethanol pricing, that varies a lot from state to state. Prices at the pump in my area are about 20 cents cheaper for e85, the average for Minnesota is 33 cents cheaper, and St. Cloud and Minneapolis (MN) have 60-70 cents cheaper. FWIW I saw $1 price differences when gas hit $4, which you damn well know is going to happen again. Everyone knows the price at the pump will not be this low for long.

Regarding your huge post, here's some reading material: Biofuel Myths vs Facts. Why the American Lung Assn would endorse ethanol if it didn't burn cleaner? http://www.cleanairchoice.org

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-30-2008 06:18 PM
colchiro Offline

mattsauto Wrote:Are you getting bad mileage??? Engine problems??? Any problems???
Why do you hate ethanol so much???

Good questions. I'd rather discuss this, which is more on-topic.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-30-2008 08:12 PM
joe38socalif Offline

Has nothing to do with topic. I asked a question, you became I dont know what, ran off to your other fourm pasted what I asked, the jumped all over me with it.

Personally I could careless what you think or anyone else, I asked a question. nothing more nothing less.

If you dont like the topic, its very easy, dont read it.

CALL YOU CONGRESS MEN AND OR LOCAL LEGISLATOR AND TELL THEM TO REMOVE ETHANOL FROM ARE FUEL. TELL THEM FOOD ON THE TABLES OF AMERICANS IS MORE IMPORTANT AND KILL THE ETHANOL FROM CORN DEAL. ETHANOL FROM CORN CAUSES EVERYONE TO PAY MORE FOR FOOD.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2008 08:04 AM by joe38socalif.)
11-30-2008 08:21 PM
Delray Dude Offline

colchiro Wrote:
mattsauto Wrote:Are you getting bad mileage??? Engine problems??? Any problems???
Why do you hate ethanol so much???

Good questions. I'd rather discuss this, which is more on-topic.

I hate the E-10. Yes it is great for those cars designed for it.
I live in Florida and it is next to impossible to find any fuel without E-10. My mileage instantly dropped 20% when we got this crap here. I also own several "older" vehicles that I can't drive because the alchol attacks the rubber lines - resulting in sh*t in the carb and destroying the carb in the process. I can't see the finacial gain of "20 cents" less per gallon when it's costing me about the same for the mileage reduction - not to mention all the small engines that are evenutally crap out (lawn mowers, etc) that will have to be replaced or rebuilt just to break again.

A good example of how bad this stuff is, a buddy bought the "clear" fuel level sights for his holley carb and we installed them on the car. After a few minutes these clear plastic pieces were nothing more than soft goo melting.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
12-01-2008 05:23 AM
flex Offline

joe38socalif Wrote:How many of you would help fight against the blending of Ethanol in gas.

trust me one person can make a difference. if we ban together we can be heard.

there are openings in very state if you want to help in this fight.

I just joined a group who deos just that.

lets all join them and fight this.

if you want infomation about it let me know.

I don't have a problem with ethanol in gas.
I think we need MORE of it, not less.
There is a "sweet-spot" in most late model vehicles where
the mileage doesn't degrade further, the LTFT still adjusts to
the mix, and the price is proportionally lower (due to ethanol content).
If we had a choice between E0, E20-30,E85, or E98, this would please
all concerned parties.
Such a choice is possible with the addition of blender pumps at all
fueling stations..
If you have to propose a change, why not this type of change -- choice!
12-01-2008 06:08 PM
SacramentoE85 Offline

flex Wrote:If we had a choice between E0, E20-30,E85, or E98, this would please
all concerned parties.
fueling stations..

I have to agree with Flex on this. Blender pumps (E0 on up to E98) should be what becomes available. This gives the choice for each of us. If you choose to go with E0, that's all the more ethanol at lower prices for the rest of us!
12-01-2008 06:35 PM
Delray Dude Offline

SacramentoE85 Wrote:
flex Wrote:If we had a choice between E0, E20-30,E85, or E98, this would please
all concerned parties.
fueling stations..

I have to agree with Flex on this. Blender pumps (E0 on up to E98) should be what becomes available. This gives the choice for each of us. If you choose to go with E0, that's all the more ethanol at lower prices for the rest of us!

I would agree to the ability to select a blend or no blend at all - what pisses me off is the fact that you cant get unblended down here in South Florida and while it may be ok or great for "newer" cars - it's really wreaking havaoc on older equipment. I really hate it when some idiots who know nothing jump on a "bandwagon" without understanding the impacts on the whole scene.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
12-03-2008 08:19 AM
realtyroy Offline

Here in Oregon as hard as I've tried I cannot find a station without ethanol in it. My rig sucks the fuel when everything is perfect and you throw that junk in the fuel and my mileage is even worse.
I do run acetone and xylene in my fuel as it is supposed to give back to the gas what ethanol takes away. I do get the mileage I used to get before the ethanol was added but the added expense and the hassle sucks.

I think Ethanol sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember back in the late 70's when everyone was pumping gasohol. Same sorta thing but it didn't last all that long and that is the fate that I'm hoping for with the E-10.

Having a selector at the pump as to give the consumer a choice to the mix he or she would prefer would be nice but will never happen. Station owners would have to have another tank for the ethanol and than the goverment would have to have another division for inspection of the pump selectors and equipment related to the situation. End result is the price of fuel would go up again to cover all the BS.

Oh well, I think it sucks and that is just my opinion!

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
12-03-2008 10:38 AM
gtkco Offline

joe38socalif Wrote:Has nothing to do with topic. I asked a question, you became I dont know what, ran off to your other fourm pasted what I asked, the jumped all over me with it.

Personally I could careless what you think or anyone else, I asked a question. nothing more nothing less.

If you dont like the topic, its very easy, dont read it.

Boy talk about talking past each other! Shocked When Colchiro says getting more on "topic" he is refering to the subject of this "results" forum. Your post, which is more of a philosophical discusion on the merits of ethanol, probably should have been posted in the "general" or "other technologies" forum. I don't think he is trying to insult you.
12-03-2008 02:15 PM