Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Explain to me
HerronPerformance Offline

Explain to me
I am seeing the use of the EFIE to include an adjustment to the MAP sensor.
Is this to tell the computer there is less load on the engine than there actually is OR is this actually connected to the MAF sensor where you are telling the computer you have seeing less air flow.

I am pretty familiar with the GM VCM set up and have been able to tune the VCM to gain 12% just from the settings in the VCM, it would be so much nicer if the programmers could crack the Ford and Mopar stuff.

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-26-2008 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Explain to me
Both. Big Grin Either one signifies less load, telling the cpu a leaner mix is warranted. Most vehicles have a MAF or a MAP, but not both.

Details on the reasoning are in Tuning for Mileage.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 08:38 AM

how many are using a WBO2 sensor to actually see how lean the mixture is?
Honda is stock with a WB and will run in the 20+:1 when conditions are right.
My theory is to get a WB on our caravan and use one of these 'tricker's to lean out the mixture until I can get my head around the HHO set up, we are taking a 600+ mile trip in a couple of weeks and would like to up the MPG with the fuel cost being $4/gallon reported where we are heading to...

05-26-2008 08:42 AM
colchiro Offline

Do you mean an air-fuel meter? They're available for $30 and up.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-26-2008 08:55 AM

colchiro Wrote:Do you mean an air-fuel meter? They're available for $30 and up.
WB is a Wide Band O2 sensor, you will not buy a WB for $30, I think what you are referring to is a AFR gauge that just says you are rich/lean/OK (basically) but these are just as accurate for tuning is the narrowband O2s ie NOT so accurate once you move from the 14.7:1 AFR range.

05-26-2008 08:59 AM
colchiro Offline

Sorry, you said, "how many are using a WBO2 sensor to actually see how lean the mixture is?" so I assumed you meant a "meter" rather than a "sensor". I tend to see a lot more questions from naive people than informed people, if you catch my drift. Hmm

Nope, $30 buys you a cheap (or used) narrow band meter, but still "and up" covers WB. Wink

WB is perfect for controlling the mix, but IMO, narrow band works fine to run a little meter that has a display that could vary a lot. I have WB for the ECU and narrow band for the meter. I have no complaints about the narrow band meter. I doubt you could tell the difference if it was next to a wide band meter.

Rick

05-26-2008 09:16 AM

the 'cheap' meter, I would want to use an Autometer gauge, is it showing the actual Lean/Rich of the sensor OR what is going to the PCM?

05-26-2008 09:38 AM
colchiro Offline

I have one of those too. Wink It's on my "to do" list.

You want to connect it to the sensor, before any EFIE or other o2 mods or the readings will be skewed and just about useless. If you had 2 meters and time to burn, it might be interesting to see what the ECU sees, but I don't see that as useful long-term information since the ECU does whatever it pleases anyway.

Rick

05-26-2008 10:05 AM