Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Factory MPG readouts
Piranhasaurus Offline

Factory MPG readouts
My truck has one of those electronic gauges that gives you a readout for average MPG and instantaneous MPG. Can I use these to determine if my HHO setup is working properly or does the installation of such a unit interfere with correct operation of these guages?

I would think these guages work by measuring fuel going to the engine and by the distance driven. I wouldn't think an HHO system would interfere with the integrity of those results.
05-20-2008 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
harlfishing Offline

RE: Factory MPG readouts
I did read somewhere that it does skew the readings. I don't remember where I read it or the reason behind it but it made sense at the time. If I run across it I'll post it here.

The old fashioned way is the most accurate for yourself anyway. You may want to show your buddies the high mileage from the computer! lol

Dan

Piranhasaurus Wrote:My truck has one of those electronic gauges that gives you a readout for average MPG and instantaneous MPG. Can I use these to determine if my HHO setup is working properly or does the installation of such a unit interfere with correct operation of these guages?

I would think these guages work by measuring fuel going to the engine and by the distance driven. I wouldn't think an HHO system would interfere with the integrity of those results.
05-20-2008 07:11 PM
Piranhasaurus Offline

harlfishing Wrote:I did read somewhere that it does skew the readings. I don't remember where I read it or the reason behind it but it made sense at the time. If I run across it I'll post it here.

The old fashioned way is the most accurate for yourself anyway. You may want to show your buddies the high mileage from the computer! lol

Dan

Of course! If the computer shows a huge change then it must be true ([Image: sarcasm.gif])!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2008 07:55 PM by Piranhasaurus.)
05-20-2008 07:21 PM
jksav7 Offline

I don't know how the vehicle's on board computer computes mileage, but I would think it's similar to the scangauge. The scangauge will not read right if the MAP or MAF is tweaked, among other things.

Piranhasaurus Wrote:My truck has one of those electronic gauges that gives you a readout for average MPG and instantaneous MPG. Can I use these to determine if my HHO setup is working properly or does the installation of such a unit interfere with correct operation of these guages?

05-20-2008 09:12 PM