Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finally Testing H2
TimThe Scooper Offline

Finally Testing H2
I think I did the calculations correctly, built a 3 cell unit and piped the H gasses all together and ran a line to the air filter box, and piped the O gasses all together and ran a line to vent it outside the engine compartment. At start up I drawing 17.7 amps at 13.3 volts using 3 Tbs KOH in 9 cups of water, After an hour and a half I'm drawing 14.19 amps at 13.4 volts and 110 degrees. (Have no idea why its lower, I measured twice.)So far the H2 displaces about 1/2 liter of water in about 3 minutes. I'm on my first tank of gas on a vehicle that consistently gets 16 mpg. (Nissan Armada V-8) I'm going to test this configuration for about a 1/2 tank, (its a 26 gallon tank and takes me about three weeks to go through it and I don't want to wait that long) then try venting closer to the manifold for a half a tank, compare the two and see if there's a difference. I'll post results here for now. Wish me luck!
10-29-2008 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gtkco Offline

RE: Finally Testing H2
TimThe Scooper Wrote:Wish me luck!
Well, at 166 mlpm this should be very interesting. Make sure to test for leaks (use soapy water) a couple of times during your test. Things might work loose under the hood. There is nothing worse than testing and in the end finding a leak that wasn't there when you first installed it. We are praying for ya!
10-30-2008 05:11 AM
Milosm Offline

TimThe Scooper Wrote:I think I did the calculations correctly, built a 3 cell unit and piped the H gasses all together and ran a line to the air filter box, and piped the O gasses all together and ran a line to vent it outside the engine compartment. At start up I drawing 17.7 amps at 13.3 volts using 3 Tbs KOH in 9 cups of water, After an hour and a half I'm drawing 14.19 amps at 13.4 volts and 110 degrees. (Have no idea why its lower, I measured twice.)So far the H2 displaces about 1/2 liter of water in about 3 minutes. I'm on my first tank of gas on a vehicle that consistently gets 16 mpg. (Nissan Armada V-8) I'm going to test this configuration for about a 1/2 tank, (its a 26 gallon tank and takes me about three weeks to go through it and I don't want to wait that long) then try venting closer to the manifold for a half a tank, compare the two and see if there's a difference. I'll post results here for now. Wish me luck!
The same thing happened to me ,and I found that one of my terminals had loosened up slightly.
10-30-2008 05:40 AM
walt2008 Offline

TimThe Scooper Wrote:At start up I drawing 17.7 amps at 13.3 volts using 3 Tbs KOH in 9 cups of water, After an hour and a half I'm drawing 14.19 amps at 13.4 volts and 110 degrees. (Have no idea why its lower, I measured twice.)

This suggests that your electrolyte has a positive temperature co-efficient. That is its resistance increases as its temperature increases.

If the temperature stablizes at some point, that indicates that you have a positive temperature co-efficient. Actually, this is a good thing as you wont need a PWM to control the current.
11-01-2008 09:20 AM
pfai Offline

What is actually happening with amp draw dropping is you are building up gasses in the top of your cell and uncovering part of your plates,in essence, making your plates smaller= less amp draw.
03-03-2009 12:57 PM
bsmart Offline

TIm, how did your testing go ??????
07-27-2009 09:30 AM