Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finally some good (not great) news to share!
jksav7 Offline

Finally some good (not great) news to share!
I've been playing around with my Toyota pickup and Saturn SL for the past few months, trying to get gains from hydroxy gas. No deal, until today.
My focus in the past couple of weeks has been the pickup. It is a '94 extended cab 4x4 with the 22re 2.4 liter engine and manual 5-spd tranny. it has 146,000 miles on it, and I rebuilt the top end (head) this past December. The ironic thing is that I rebuilt the head while I was in there doing the timing chain, and I rebuilt it for power (not fuel economy): bigger (not real big) cam, bigger SS valves.

Over the years I've done quite a bit of modding to it. It has larger than stock exhaust: 2 inch piping to 2.25 inch from the muffler back, Flowmaster 60 series muffler, new cat, and LC Engineering headers. (If I did it all over again I'd skip the headers). Then the head work, followed by an enlarged throttle body and plenum to go with the K&N cone filter which I had done right after I acquired the truck.

My mileage had always been around 20 mpg when just driving around. After the rebuild it dropped to 17-18. I then realized (not long ago) that the O2 sensor was bad. Replaced that, and I was right back up to 20 again.

My booster is a Smack booster, which is putting out around 1.1-1.2 LPM at 20 amps. However, for my test runs it was around 12-13 amps hot. I'm injecting the gas right before the butterfly.

I have one of Mike's EFIE's to tap into the lone O2 sensor. I did a test today. The wind was almost nill, which was good. I drove the same route (40 miles) 4 times, making sure that I kept the speeds the same each time, and I filled up at the same pump each time. Furthermore, this gas tank allows me to easily fill all the way up 'till it's coming out the top. That way I am able to get a real consistent fill-up everytime.

I wanted to test different EFIE settings, so this is what became of it:

First run: EFIE set at 150 millivolts = 20.01 mpg

Second run: EFIE set at 250 millivolts = 22.62 mpg

Third run: EFIE set at 315 millivolts = 24.45 mpg

The purpose of the fourth run was to prove to myself that the gains were coming as a result of the hydroxy gas AND the EFIE, not just the EFIE.
So, I did it with the EFIE on and generator off.

Fourth run: EFIE still set at 315 millivolts = 21.4 mpg

I still have more testing to do. I might be able to push the millivolts a bit more, but probably not. I also want to bring the generator down to 8-10 amps. I may try moving the hydroxy injection point to the air filter right before the AFM. However, this will be a challenge, as I got rid of the stock air box in favor of the cone K&N filter.

I also want to build a closed bath series generator that should at least double the efficiency of the Smack booster. It will also solve the running hot in summer/freezing in winter problems. In time I would also like to add a fuel line heater.

So, 20 mpg to 24.5 mpg isn't anything to brag about, but at least it's a start for me.

Soon I will be installing another EFIE in the Saturn.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2008 11:45 PM by jksav7.)
06-19-2008 11:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
visek Offline

RE: Finally some good (not great) news to share!
jksav7 Wrote:So, 20 mpg to 24.5 mpg isn't anything to brag about, but at least it's a start for me.

Soon I will be installing another EFIE in the Saturn.

That's a decent 22% gain.

I'm working with a Nissan 2.4L EFI 4x4 and so far see 22-23 mixed with it. Having EFI issues as in hard starting and poor idle I haven't solved yet. Also had timing chain/brake issues.

Had an EFIE on it...and magnets..neither being used right now. Intend to set up HHO soon. Have used moly in the complete drivetrain and freed up the brakes.

If you check out the "components" of the HAFC system...you'll notice that they use magnets...a fuel additive...HHO...EFIE...fuel heat...sensor mods...etc. I think this is the approach to take....INSTEAD of focusing on high HHO output.

Will be testing 3 oz Walmart 91% iso to 3 oz MMoil with an electric fuel pump....and around 4.5 oz of this mix per 10 gallons as an additive. Mix, but shake first before adding.

Getting extra mpg gain from additional bubbling thru methanol/water:

http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=342
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2008 04:26 AM by visek.)
06-20-2008 04:12 AM
skiers4ever Offline

RE: Finally some good (not great) news to share!
Excellent testing and documentation jksav7! Thanks, John

2007 Honda Ridgeline 3.5L 4WD
Hydro Super 2 installed on 5/21/08
Colorado - 10,000 Feet!
06-20-2008 01:57 PM