Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finding an HHO compatible car
DrBrown Offline

Question Finding an HHO compatible car
I currently have an 02 Taurus with a 3.0L vulcan. Has 94k miles so Im thinking of getting a newer car. I drive 110 miles a day for work, all freeway on cruise control at 70mph. I've been averaging 27.5-30.6mpg w/out any HHO, NOT BAD! But Im spending $340/mo for gas not to mention needing an oil change every 2 months! Im in the process of building a cell for the tortise but with 4 o2 sensors I just dont have faith in any o2 manipulator being able to overcome the ECU. I have a kit to build a COSM-IIA (like EFIE - see utube) but I dont think these newer cars respond as well to o2 manipulation. Seems most Ford folks dont get the results, aside from Wolfram's probe but thats actually a 2.0L mazda.

Ive read through a lot of threads in this forum and seen the results. Most people seem to get better results on older OBD1 cars that have less o2 correction to deal with. Look at wulfram's 2.0L probe getting 70mpg+ with just tin foil lol. So Ive been considering buying a 4 cylinder but not sure what kind. I'd like to get a newer car but I just have doubts about these 2000 or newer engines and trying to overcome the battle with the ECU's. Can anyone recommend a decently quick 4 cylinder that responded well to HHO that was made 2000 or later? I've been considering a Cobalt SS or SRT4 neon because the forced induction might accept HHO really well. The turbo diesels seem to. ANYWAY if anyone has recommendations let me know! Thanks in advance,
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2008 06:57 AM by DrBrown.)
08-28-2008 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hydrodine Offline

RE: Finding an HHO compatible car
DrBrown Wrote:I currently have an 02 Taurus with a 3.0L vulcan. Has 94k miles so Im thinking of getting a newer car. I drive 110 miles a day for work, all freeway on cruise control at 70mph. I've been averaging 27.5-30.6mpg w/out any HHO, NOT BAD! But Im spending $340/mo for gas not to mention needing an oil change every 2 months! Im in the process of building a cell for the tortise but with 4 o2 sensors I just dont have faith in any o2 manipulator being able to overcome the ECU. I have a kit to build a COSM-IIA (like EFIE - see utube) but I dont think these newer cars respond as well to o2 manipulation. Seems most Ford folks dont get the results, aside from Wolfram's probe but thats actually a 2.0L mazda.

Ive read through a lot of threads in this forum and seen the results. Most people seem to get better results on older OBD1 cars that have less o2 correction to deal with. Look at wulfram's 2.0L probe getting 70mpg+ with just tin foil lol. So Ive been considering buying a 4 cylinder but not sure what kind. I'd like to get a newer car but I just have doubts about these 2000 or newer engines and trying to overcome the battle with the ECU's. Can anyone recommend a decently quick 4 cylinder that responded well to HHO that was made 2000 or later? I've been considering a Cobalt SS or SRT4 neon because the forced induction might accept HHO really well. The turbo diesels seem to. ANYWAY if anyone has recommendations let me know! Thanks in advance,

Stay away from Saturn they are a pain.
08-30-2008 04:57 PM
gtkco Offline

hydrodine Wrote:Stay away from Saturn they are a pain.

Now, that is not entirely fair hydrodine. Even though you had an admittedly miserable time, which I might add you overcame with true grit and heroric determination, Wulfrum got spectacular results on a Saturn using pickle jars and wire right out of the box. I know it's not fair but it is true. It is possible that the newer saturns don't have as fussy of an ECU as yours. But your cautioning is quite appropriate. Glad to hear your H only system is giving you your much deserved gains!
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2008 08:47 PM by gtkco.)
08-30-2008 07:47 PM
hygear Offline

DrBrown Wrote:I currently have an 02 Taurus with a 3.0L vulcan. Has 94k miles so Im thinking of getting a newer car. I drive 110 miles a day for work, all freeway on cruise control at 70mph. I've been averaging 27.5-30.6mpg w/out any HHO, NOT BAD! But Im spending $340/mo for gas not to mention needing an oil change every 2 months! Im in the process of building a cell for the tortise but with 4 o2 sensors I just dont have faith in any o2 manipulator being able to overcome the ECU. I have a kit to build a COSM-IIA (like EFIE - see utube) but I dont think these newer cars respond as well to o2 manipulation. Seems most Ford folks dont get the results, aside from Wolfram's probe but thats actually a 2.0L mazda.

I'd test the voltage on the o2s before ruling out an efie to see if the o2s were narrowband or not.Most results I'v seen here have a fair ammount of success with them.Won't hurt to try before purchasing another vehicle.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
08-31-2008 05:15 AM
hydrodine Offline

gtkco Wrote:

Now, that is not entirely fair hydrodine. Even though you had an admittedly miserable time, which I might add you overcame with true grit and heroric determination, Wulfrum got spectacular results on a Saturn using pickle jars and wire right out of the box. I know it's not fair but it is true. It is possible that the newer saturns don't have as fussy of an ECU as yours. But your cautioning is quite appropriate. Glad to hear your H only system is giving you your much deserved gains!

It seems everything wulfrum touches gets 100 mpg right out of the jar.
08-31-2008 06:40 AM
mattsauto Offline

hydrodine Wrote:
gtkco Wrote:

It seems everything wulfrum touches gets 100 mpg right out of the jar.

No, you are wrong...the word on the web is that he is going for the 200+++ MPG mark with NO jars at all... just by touch to the hood of the car or wheelbarrow handle...
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 07:49 AM by mattsauto.)
08-31-2008 07:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrBrown Offline

Maybe we should all have wulfram sneeze on our cars to bless them?? lol

For the record, I know the o2's on every passenger car is a narrowband. There are probably 5 cars made in the USA that implement wideband o2's and most are VW or BMW. Too rich for my blood!! I may just give the tortise a try because I jus found out the trade in value is about 3k less than what I owe on it haha. I may be stuck with indefinitely.
08-31-2008 09:20 AM
tomture Offline

DrBrown,

If you check this forum, you can see that there are thousands & thousands of readers. There are also quite a few posters,. maybe also in the thousands,.. And yet if you check the result section there are only few,.. less than 100 cars (1-2%) that have had any MPG gain at all using HHO. My point would be that you can not use the statistics that are found on this board when you are looking for a new car,... the results are not here yet,..

Thanks.
09-01-2008 02:23 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

mattsauto Wrote:No, you are wrong...the word on the web is that he is going for the 200+++ MPG mark with NO jars at all... just by touch to the hood of the car or wheelbarrow handle...

Laugh That made my day! Smile

DrBrown, sorry for the delay on replying your message in PM. I'll get to it soon.
As for compatible cars... I'll definitely vouch for early model 2nd generation f.Probes. Although my wife's 6 cyl isn't getting what my 4 cyl is; she's still averaging good around 45 mpg (we use her car for city travel and in town stuff). My father's explorer started getting better after the EFIE was installed, and my mother's Saturn is doing wonderful. My cousin recently installed on his Saturn too, and called me recently to say he's at 47 mpg.

Still, if you can get your hands on an f.probe... go for it. Smile
09-01-2008 03:23 PM
gtkco Offline

DrBrown Wrote:There are probably 5 cars made in the USA that implement wideband o2's and most are VW or BMW....

If you are refering to the AFR sensors, sadly I think there might be a few more. My lexus rx300 2001 is certainly one of the 5. So is colchiros toyota rav4 2005. The first place you ought to check is
http://www.autozone.com/shopping/vehicleSelect1.htm
to see if they have the free wiring diagrams of the car you interested in. You might luck out and they might have them there. Hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2008 05:49 AM by gtkco.)
09-02-2008 05:48 AM