Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fine Bronze Wool
cjpeaceful Offline

Fine Bronze Wool
I need some help from my fellow HHOer's who have built torches. I have looked everywhere in St. Louis county for fine bronze wool with no results. Ace Hardware sells course but no fine. And, based on what I've seen and heard on the web, you should not use anything other than fine grade bronze wool.

I can order the stuff off the web but the cheapest shipping rate I can find is through Ace Hardware - 6.99. This would bring my total to 14.50 for a 6.00 product!Crazy

Does anyone out here have any fine bronze wool they are willing to sell for a few bucks? I don't care if it is sent via snail mail. I'm just trying to save a few bucks on a simple project.Wink

Thanks!
11-12-2008 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
realtyroy Offline

RE: Fine Bronze Wool
cjpeaceful Wrote:I need some help from my fellow HHOer's who have built torches. I have looked everywhere in St. Louis county for fine bronze wool with no results. Ace Hardware sells course but no fine. And, based on what I've seen and heard on the web, you should not use anything other than fine grade bronze wool.

I can order the stuff off the web but the cheapest shipping rate I can find is through Ace Hardware - 6.99. This would bring my total to 14.50 for a 6.00 product!Crazy

Does anyone out here have any fine bronze wool they are willing to sell for a few bucks? I don't care if it is sent via snail mail. I'm just trying to save a few bucks on a simple project.Wink

Thanks!

Here is a link to some I was looking at on eBay. $9 and free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRONZE-WO...ccessories
Something I heard about and have not tried yet is using a cigarette butt in there. I think they are some kind of fiber glass and very fine. Seems like it would work but I don't know from first hand experience.

RealtyRoy-HHO Scambuster
http://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/

2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7
2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
1964 Chev Impala SS 409 My baby!

A day is a day but the day I save gas is a good day!!
11-12-2008 01:48 PM
HALS-GUNSMITHING Offline

cjpeaceful Wrote:I need some help from my fellow HHOer's who have built torches. I have looked everywhere in St. Louis county for fine bronze wool with no results. Ace Hardware sells course but no fine. And, based on what I've seen and heard on the web, you should not use anything other than fine grade bronze wool.

Thanks!

I would think the bronze would corrode from the electrolyte.

1999 F150 4.6L 5 speed manual 4x4 ext. cab
start @ 15mpg best @ 17mpg with HHO into vacum only
No EFIE's yet
11-12-2008 03:22 PM
Mavrick Offline

Try something like this. I think it works well as a flame arrest and particle filter. You add the proper barb connector on both sides for the diameter hose your using. I clean mine once in awhile in ISP alcohol and blow compressed air in the reverse of the direction I am filtering. I have one on the output side of my generator and another on the output of the bubbler. http://www.arrowsinteredproducts.com/Sal...-sales.pdf

Make my day
11-12-2008 03:48 PM
cjpeaceful Offline

HALS-GUNSMITHING Wrote:

Thanks!

I would think the bronze would corrode from the electrolyte.

Not sure. But, I do know there is no electrolyte vapor reaching the torch. I use a fairly large bubbler and dryer. The dryer is basically a fuel filter. After which, the gas coming out is dry.
11-13-2008 11:13 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

Mavrick Wrote:Try something like this. I think it works well as a flame arrest and particle filter. You add the proper barb connector on both sides for the diameter hose your using. I clean mine once in awhile in ISP alcohol and blow compressed air in the reverse of the direction I am filtering. I have one on the output side of my generator and another on the output of the bubbler. http://www.arrowsinteredproducts.com/Sal...-sales.pdf

Very nice and cheap! Thanks!
11-13-2008 11:15 AM
Tom1803 Offline

I made mine out of a bronze scrub pad. Found them in housewares. 3 for I think $2.00
11-13-2008 12:39 PM
gtkco Offline

cjpeaceful Wrote:I have looked everywhere in St. Louis county for fine bronze wool with no results....

Marine stores often carry it. However, I don't know how many of those are in MO. But you do have lakes so there might be one or two in the area.
11-14-2008 09:10 AM
cjpeaceful Offline

Well, I bought my fine bronze wool. I ordered online through Ace Hardware and with no shipping charge! They have a feature called ship to store. Nice. 5.98!

Now, if I can just finish my next SBB dry cell...
11-19-2008 02:28 PM