Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flash Suppressor?
brandnew Offline

Flash Suppressor?
Wouldn't small fuel filters make a decent HHO flash suppressor ?
03-28-2011 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Flash Suppressor?
You could test it, I suppose. But I don't think they would be effective. But just try it and see. Let us know if they work.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-29-2011 09:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
comrevkr Offline

Shocked No It won't work! Shocked I tried it. They will store gas and become a mini bomb. Please don't Try! Buy one from Bruce energetics on ebay. $11.00 w/ship. My homemade ones fail. Be safe. Cool

Cool
1994 Mazda B3000 3.0L V-6
400k+ miles and still going strongBig Grin
04-30-2011 05:14 AM
David Gonzales Offline

To make a decent flash suppressor you will need some sort of foolproof interruptionin the hydrogen flow. It HAS to interrupt the flow or it will go bang given the chance.

I think a bubbler with a pop off top is about the best way to go. If it goes boom you simply push the top back on (provided you can find it) and you are back in business.

I used a 1 1/2 inch diameter lucite tube with about an eighth inch wall thickness so it is pretty robust. The pop off plastic push on tops I found at a Home Depot and are a real nice slip fit but tighten up more the further you push them on. I only push them on about 1/4 inch so they can pop off pretty easily if needed. They are black semi soft plastic and thick enough to tap a thread into them for hose barb connections.

I made the total length about 12-13 inches long and fill it about half way with clean distilled water so it will have a nice tall column of water to prevent flashbacks into the hydrolizer as well as scrub any electrolite out that makes it into the bubbler.

I bring a 1/4 inch tygon line out of the top of the hydrolyzer and run it down and into the side of the bubbler, down near the base using another 1/8 inch pipe thread tapped through the side of the lucite bubbler.

Lexan would be stronger but I found a lenghth of lucite free, so the price was right.

I also put a one way check valve between the hydrolizer and bubbler in the middle of the 1/4 inch line as an additional preventative measure.
06-07-2011 10:48 PM
koya1893 Offline

I've been running a system on my F-150 for 32K miles now not having a flash arrestor: this is because I am using an air stone n my bubbler which is constantly submerged. Having said that none of the system I've installed have one. One to note here, if you are having some backfire enough to worry going back your your cell or the system. I would think you would want to find out the problem. If your car or truck is running as advertise and the system you install is working as advertise, the flash arrestor are nothing more than addition equipment not really needed.
06-09-2011 06:44 AM
Gary Offline

Not necessarily true. It's not backfires you have to think about; cars don't backfire any more. It's random sparks that are generated by whatever means: parts rubbing, carbon particles catching on, and whatever all else is going on in an air plenum. I saw a video of an intake manifold inside, and there was an occasional spark that really made me wonder.
True, there are units out there that have no flashback arrestors, not even bubblers, and haven't popped - yet.
06-11-2011 03:44 AM
glass-shard169 Offline

(04-30-2011 05:14 AM)comrevkr Wrote:  Shocked No It won't work! Shocked I tried it. They will store gas and become a mini bomb. Please don't Try! Buy one from Bruce energetics on ebay. $11.00 w/ship. My homemade ones fail. Be safe. Cool

What did you use instead of the filter inside your homemade flash suppressor?
06-11-2011 06:23 PM
David Gonzales Offline

I was giving a buddy a demo of the gas produced by running the output line into a can of water and then a torch at the surface to pop off the bubbles as they surface over this past weekend.

My hydrolizer seems to be producing more gas as I get the electrolite dialed in and also due to the higher temps in the engine compartmant as Summer is in full swing.

Well it was putting out so much gas that the bubbles in the can were a solid stream (at least that is what I think happened) as suddenly there was a louder pop away from the demo can and I realized my bubbler had popped its top! Fortunately, my bubbler has a taller column of water than the demo can has, as it did stop the backburn from reaching the hydrolizer.

Also proved my bubbler design is pretty functional....so far anyway!
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2011 07:50 AM by David Gonzales.)
07-11-2011 07:48 AM