Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flattening Switch plates for Smack type booster
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

Flattening Switch plates for Smack type booster
How would you flatten a stainless steel single gang blank cover pate as used in the Smack booster design as I drilled out all the plates and even with nylon spacers and nylon all thread rod to connect them to fit into the PVC the spacing is not really the same in all of them.

In other words they might be spaced properly in some places but not the rest, I also noticed that using a nylon all thread rod that apparently either the rod is getting warped or the 1/4" holes I have drilled and then reamed with a unibit to eliminate the ridge on the back side of the plate that they are not necessarily lined up properly.

So instead of this since drilling stainless dulls bits quickly if you are not slow and use a lube while drilling. I want to flatten the plates then drill them all the same by aligning the edges all around and getting it over with so I do not have to buy more plates at $1.70 each.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2009 03:03 PM by houdini1953.)
11-07-2009 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

RE: Flattening Switch plates for Smack type booster
I just completed the main part of a Smack booster but am concerned about the unequal spacing as you will see from the photo. Is there a way to correct this? should I ream the holes out to get proper alignment or spacing? Any help will be appreciated.

As you can see from the photo also the straps I used were actually cut from 7" pipe clamps about $2.00 each at Home Depot and Lowes in the plumbing department.

[Image: Smack.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2009 12:07 PM by houdini1953.)
11-08-2009 11:50 AM
jbalat Offline

Dont waste your time.

You can buy flat sheet from your local sheet metal shop already cut to size..
Just look them up in the phone book.. Ask for 0.063" 304 or 316 S/S.. You would be surprised how cheap it is compared to what you have already spent..

Make sure you specify flatness of 0.005" or you will have all kinds of problems trying to get it flat and achieve a consistent gap.

If you are starting from scratch just build a dry cell.. There are some simple designs out there and the gasket sets the gap which should be around 3mm.
11-11-2009 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

(11-11-2009 02:49 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Dont waste your time.

You can buy flat sheet from your local sheet metal shop already cut to size..
Just look them up in the phone book.. Ask for 0.063" 304 or 316 S/S.. You would be surprised how cheap it is compared to what you have already spent..

Make sure you specify flatness of 0.005" or you will have all kinds of problems trying to get it flat and achieve a consistent gap.

If you are starting from scratch just build a dry cell.. There are some simple designs out there and the gasket sets the gap which should be around 3mm.

I am already working on that and just got a 1/8" - 27 NPT paid for from Irwin sent to Northern Tool about 8 miles away from home for $2.63 with 5-10 day shipping for the BB Smack Gen V.

Hey I am learning as much as I can but am a cheap guy so I can wait but still am going to do this with my one and only truck and see what happens.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2009 03:09 PM by houdini1953.)
11-11-2009 03:06 PM
jbalat Offline

Unless they are really bad, just screw the plates together and carefully lever them apart at the edges so that the gap looks fairly consistent and they are not touching. Its only the 1.5mm gap that matters.
You will learn much more as you start testing...

I used a router to make up end plates from perspex. I made some slots about 1.5mm deep and slid the end cap on from one end. This made the gaps even and did something to minimise leakage. You can see it in my video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdbMw2xyZc

P.S. The extra plate didn't really do much since there is lots of bridging there, I would stick to 5 plates with the large gap between each set..If you are going for plates back to back then you need to go with 3mm spacing especially in a wet cell.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2009 10:15 PM by jbalat.)
11-11-2009 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply