Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front O2 sensor, which wire should I choose ?
Quebecker Offline

Front O2 sensor, which wire should I choose ?
Hi,

While waiting to receive my HHO cell, I'm in various preparations. Yesterday, I checked the voltage of oxygen sensor my upstream of the catalyst (The Wideband sensor). My car is Honda Civic SI 1.7 liters 4 doors (Canadian version). The sensor has 4 wires: 1 green, 1 white and 2 black. Here the voltage reading on each of the cables while the engine was at idle (750 rpm)for more than 2 minutes

Green: some variations between 1.80 to 1.82 volts
White: constant voltage of 2.11 volts
Black #1: some variations between 14.11 to 14.14 volts
Black #2: always changes between 9.56 to 10.26 volts

Is it possible that the white wire is the "reference wire" and that the green cable is the "current return wire", and this is the one that we will connect the EFIE's signal wire to ?

If my fears are right, why the "reference wire" (the green wire) gives so little variation in the voltage ?

Thanks in advance
Remi

-----------
Remi

"Excuse my poor english, Google is my friend"
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 04:54 AM by Quebecker.)
06-09-2011 04:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
koya1893 Offline

RE: Front O2 sensor, which wire should I choose ?
(06-09-2011 04:54 AM)Quebecker Wrote:  Hi,

While waiting to receive my HHO cell, I'm in various preparations. Yesterday, I checked the voltage of oxygen sensor my upstream of the catalyst (The Wideband sensor). My car is Honda Civic SI 1.7 liters 4 doors (Canadian version). The sensor has 4 wires: 1 green, 1 white and 2 black. Here the voltage reading on each of the cables while the engine was at idle (750 rpm)for more than 2 minutes

Green: some variations between 1.80 to 1.82 volts
White: constant voltage of 2.11 volts
Black #1: some variations between 14.11 to 14.14 volts
Black #2: always changes between 9.56 to 10.26 volts

Is it possible that the white wire is the "reference wire" and that the green cable is the "current return wire", and this is the one that we will connect the EFIE's signal wire to ?

If my fears are right, why the "reference wire" (the green wire) gives so little variation in the voltage ?

Thanks in advance
Remi

To start with: Did you order the correct EFIE from Mike or Bruce? If so, ask them for the wiring diagram for your car. Then is should be easy to identify the signal wire. they have not failed me yet.

One note as an advice here, most of the imports I've worked with are already running lean fron the factory, hence when you start with the recommended setting from the instruction you will get a PO133 code, which is slow to response on the front sensor. The only way I was able to combat that was start with a lower setting on the wide band (7:30-8 O' clock) position.

Black #1 and #2 reading are too high, so it has to be the white or the green, I don't have my notes for Honda's but I think it is the Green one. Get the wiring diagram for your car. The last Honda I did reported 35-40% increase.
06-09-2011 06:25 AM
Quebecker Offline

Hi koya1893,

Yes, my EFIE is from Mike and it's "Wideband Dual EFIE".

The instructions say that the correct setting will be between 1/4 and 1/2 power but do not indicate whether it is clockwise or counterclockwise.
Thank you very much for clarifying that it was in the counterclockwise (7:30-8 O' clock) direction because I would have done the opposite (3h00 o'clock)

Wow, if I get an improvement of 35-40% with my civic, I'd be very very happy with this performance.

Best Regards

-----------
Remi

06-09-2011 06:44 AM
koya1893 Offline

When you get the EFIE or if you already have it, turn it FULL CCW it will be close to 6 O' clock, start from that position working your war towards the 7-8 O' clock position. As I recomment, start with 7:30-8 O' clock. Make you drive on that setting for a full tank before you make any adjustment, the ECU needs to accept a setting before another is made. One the client had to get use is, a new way of driving with the HHO, like taking your foot off the gas when you see a red light 200 yards ahead and taking your foot off the gas once you achieved the speed you want then just a touch on the pedal to keep the speed going. If you have a heavy foot on the gas it will kill you MPG. Learn a new way to drive your car with the HHO acting as an enhancer.
06-09-2011 06:52 AM
Quebecker Offline

I already have a driving method suitable for fuel economy. I am already take off the gas when approaching a red light or a stop. Often, I put the transmission in Neutral. My acceleration is smooth and I rarely exceed the speed limits.

Currently, I have a consumption rate of 9 liters per 100 km (26.1 MPG) in city driving. It's not a lot because I live in the mountains and my job is at sea level The engine is much in demand when I return home. Home to office: ±32 MPG Office to home: ±22 MPG

-----------
Remi

06-09-2011 07:12 AM
Quebecker Offline

Hi,

Finally, Mike send me (thank for the information) and the white wire is the current return wire and the green is the reference wire.
That's what I understand the schema

-----------
Remi

06-20-2011 06:53 AM