Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Frying Voltage Regulators in EFIE
quaturbo Offline

Frying Voltage Regulators in EFIE
I've not heard of anyone else having this problem, but hopefully someone has a suggestion. I've installed a dual EFIE in a 2007 Ford Expedition. (20 years of automotive electronics experience, BTW) Tested each wire and found them exactly as described. I even toned the individual O2 sensor wires back to the firewall plugs and found the colors to match those discovered by other members. Voltages matched for the signal and everything went well until I powered the EFIE. It clicks rapidly and fries the voltage regulator. I tripple checked every wire..still correct. Just received a replacement dual EFIE today. Installed it and turned it on for only 3 seconds just to be safe and the voltage regulator is extremely hot. Thinking maybe a shorted O2 sensor so I clipped the green wire..same results. Clipped the blue wire, the white wire and the brown wire. Only have 12V and power now... still cooks the VR. Swapped EFIE modules thinking maybe had a shorted pot. Still cooks the VR. Power is 12V with ignition, 13.8-14V with engine running. Could I just have 2 bad EFIE's? Any thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2008 10:20 AM by quaturbo.)
11-20-2008 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Frying Voltage Regulators in EFIE
The chances of 2 bad EFIEs is vanishingly small. But on the other hand, I don't see how the VR could be frying. The VR is designed to be able to work up to 20 volts or more, so your voltages are fine. Also, the VR is separated from the outputs by a transformer so it shouldn't matter what your outputs are doing, it still shouldn't affect the VR.

I think you'd better contact us directly to more quickly sort this out. Please use this page: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/contact.html - If you can call in during our support hours, that would be best. Or if not, use the support email address. Be sure to copy what you wrote in the post if use the email.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2009 10:49 AM by mike.)
11-21-2008 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

I've had another thought on this: On the second EFIE, you say the voltage regulator is hot. But apparently it's working? The voltage regulator gets hot normally. Now note, in the instructions we describe the heater jumpers. These cause the VR to get even hotter and is designed to heat up the voltage circuitry on the other side of the circuit board. Are these jumpers set?

If not, the regulator still gets hot, but not too hot to touch. If you can comfortably keep your finger on the VR, then it's not frying. They just get hot.

It may be that your replacement EFIE is working properly, but you're just worried that it will fry like the first one did. If it passes the touch test above, go ahead and use it. If it blows up too, well, we'll still take care of you. But I just can't conceive of a single person getting 2 bad EFIEs. Due to our testing, bad EFIEs are very rare. They still occur, but are just rare.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-21-2008 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quaturbo Offline

I tried the complete replacement unit and it took about 10 seconds to 'smoke' the VR. I replaced it with a brand new replacement VR that I received from Digikey and hooked it directly to my 12V bench power supply only (no other wires connected except power and ground on pins 3 and 4. It makes a loud clicking noise and gets very hot (hot enough to smell within seconds). Somethings just not right. I spoke with Bruce today and he was extremely helpful (just like yourself). I'll probably send them back so you can check them out. Thanks for the help.
11-21-2008 08:58 PM
colchiro Offline

Two for two. Your luck is about like my wife's.Gasp

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
11-21-2008 09:13 PM
mike Offline

The only time I've heard of "clicking" from an EFIE is when the power supplied to the EFIE was way under the expected power. One guy had this happen when he used his trickle charger to power up the EFIE. For some reason that produced the clicking that didn't occur when he put it in his car.

Another time it occurred with someone who was drawing so much amperage on his HHO generator that he was dropping the voltage of his electrical system to below 9 volts. Once he got this corrected the EFIE (and the rest of his system) ran properly.

Anyway, that's food for thought. If you've sent them in, we'll check them over and go from there. One way or another we'll get you up and running.

Visit Our Documents Page
11-24-2008 09:01 AM
Usman Offline

mike Wrote:The only time I've heard of "clicking" from an EFIE is when the power supplied to the EFIE was way under the expected power. One guy had this happen when he used his trickle charger to power up the EFIE. For some reason that produced the clicking that didn't occur when he put it in his car.

Another time it occurred with someone who was drawing so much amperage on his HHO generator that he was dropping the voltage of his electrical system to below 9 volts. Once he got this corrected the EFIE (and the rest of his system) ran properly.

Anyway, that's food for thought. If you've sent them in, we'll check them over and go from there. One way or another we'll get you up and running.

I personally think in his the below theory and suggestion shouldnt apply. He would need Voltage regulator 7812 which will aviod voltage regulator to be fried.

''I recommend using a 9 volt voltage regulator instead of 12 volts. The problem with a 12 volt unit is it drops 2 volts minimum from it's input voltage. If your input voltage is 14 volts or more, then the output will be 12 volts. However, if the input voltage is 12 volts (for instance), the output voltage to your EFIE is going to be 10 volts due to the minimum 2 volt drop in voltage by the regulator. When your engine is running the alternator is charging the battery, and is producing about 13-1/2 volts, but it's fluctuating slightly all of the time. Therefore the output of the regulator will be 11-1/2 volts, and mirroring the car's voltage fluctuations. This must be eliminated for good steady EFIE voltage output. I use 9 volt voltage regulators and they are more than adequate for our purposes.''
12-15-2008 04:45 AM
quaturbo Offline

Thanks for the input. I'm only running a smaller HHO generator which is drawing about 15 AMPS max. Its on a Ford 5.4l V8 with a honken huge alternator. When I power it the voltage doesn't even flinch from 14V.

When I was bench testing it, I was actually using a 12V battery charger. It only has 10AMP and 50 AMP settings, so no lack of power there either.

Sent them in a couple of weeks ago, so you should have them both back by now. Anxious to hear what you find out.

Thanks..
12-15-2008 08:19 PM
mike Offline

If you never heard from Bruce in tech support, then write to support@fuelsaver-mpg.com.

I recall talking to him about these units when they came in. They had both been modified in some way. I know you tried a new VR on one of them. But I told him to send you a new one, but to caution you not to alter it in any way. I wanted to see what happens when the device is installed exactly the way we send it out.

We just don't have trouble frying regulators ordinarily, and if you are maintaining 12 volts (or 14 is fine too), then it just shouldn't be a problem. About the only thing that could be a problem is if your wiring is not well connected. If you have a poor power connection, it can cause the relay to click as the connection makes and breaks. So check your connections and make sure the power wires to the EFIE have a steady voltage.

Visit Our Documents Page
12-16-2008 08:40 AM
Bruce Offline

quaturbo Wrote:I've not heard of anyone else having this problem, but hopefully someone has a suggestion. I've installed a dual EFIE in a 2007 Ford Expedition. (20 years of automotive electronics experience, BTW) Tested each wire and found them exactly as described. I even toned the individual O2 sensor wires back to the firewall plugs and found the colors to match those discovered by other members. Voltages matched for the signal and everything went well until I powered the EFIE. It clicks rapidly and fries the voltage regulator. I tripple checked every wire..still correct. Just received a replacement dual EFIE today. Installed it and turned it on for only 3 seconds just to be safe and the voltage regulator is extremely hot. Thinking maybe a shorted O2 sensor so I clipped the green wire..same results. Clipped the blue wire, the white wire and the brown wire. Only have 12V and power now... still cooks the VR. Swapped EFIE modules thinking maybe had a shorted pot. Still cooks the VR. Power is 12V with ignition, 13.8-14V with engine running. Could I just have 2 bad EFIE's? Any thoughts?

Hey give me a call. Either there is an electrical fault or your power supply is dropping below a low threshold value. We test these up to 20 volts on the bench and have not been able to reproduce what we found with the EFIEs you returned. We need to figure out where the problem lies.

Bruce

Bruce
Customer Service
FuelSaver-MPG

FuelSaver-MPG Documents Page
12-16-2008 10:40 AM