Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fuel Heater...Advantages??
jjski78 Offline

Fuel Heater...Advantages??
I got my hands on the Water4Gas book and it has some really cheap little projects that can be done in it. I plan on eventually building and installing an HHO generator, but for now I was looking at doing a fuel heater and the PCV enhancer. Will the fuel heater actually help with mileage at all?? I'm thinking it will. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, and jet engines have a fuel heater built in to aid in fuel vaporization. My question is will it actually help on a gas powered car? It's stupid easy to make one, you only need a couple of brass barb fittings, fuel hose, clamps, and zip ties, but will the system have any effect?? For the record, I'm not going to build it per the W4F manual. I'm going to tap the fuel line, wrap a good length of the rubber line around the upper radiator hose, and tap back into the line. I figure this will give much more contact area than the W4F method, thereby increasing heat transfer. Anyone have any ideas as to if this will work??
06-05-2008 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rpatzer Offline

RE: Fuel Heater...Advantages??
It takes more than just heating the fuel. These guys seem to have come up with a workable unit.
http://www.vftllc.com/index.htm
06-05-2008 12:20 PM
jjski78 Offline

What I found really funny about the stuff in the book. The PCV enhancer. I'm sure it benefits the engine to a degree, but what I found really humorous is the fact that it costs about $15 to build, yet for years now the same thing has been sold marketed as the Condensator. I think I'm gonna do these mods, they're cheap, and almost impossible to screw up your car, and see if I get any improvement over my 19.1MPG average per tank that I've seen for the past few years. Actually considering instead of rubber fuel line for the heater, using copper tubing, and encase the entire thing, radiator hose and all, in aluminum dryer duct. Probably just use the rubber though, it's cheaper and easier to work with.
06-05-2008 12:39 PM
celticpiper71 Offline

Ive been a mechaic for 20 years now and i dont beleive this theory of a fuel heater.I could be wrong ive seen alot of amazing things over the years.But,going by feel and not actual temp measurements,i know for a fact that the fuel rail itself does in fact get hot enough to burn skin.With that in mind i would pose the question"Does preheating fuel make a difference?"I would think if it was a deisel,carbed,or TBI unit baybe to a point.But in a MPI SPI injection system most fuel rails are made if alunimum or a tubuler steel and they get hot.
06-06-2008 05:57 PM
jjski78 Offline

I know what you're saying. Fuel rails do get wicked hot. But I don't think they get the fuel hot enough for long enough to vaporize. I have worked on jet engines for 10 years and even those use a fuel heater, and believe me, ALL of the components inside a jet engine get ridiculously HOT. So my reasoning is, if a jet engine needs a fuel heater, even though everything in the engine is hotter than hades, then I would imagine there would be a benefit of adding one to a car engine since the components under the hood don't get 1/2 as hot as a jet.
06-07-2008 09:25 AM
rpatzer Offline

jjski78 Wrote:I know what you're saying. Fuel rails do get wicked hot. But I don't think they get the fuel hot enough for long enough to vaporize. I have worked on jet engines for 10 years and even those use a fuel heater, and believe me, ALL of the components inside a jet engine get ridiculously HOT. So my reasoning is, if a jet engine needs a fuel heater, even though everything in the engine is hotter than hades, then I would imagine there would be a benefit of adding one to a car engine since the components under the hood don't get 1/2 as hot as a jet.

Does the airplane fuel heater keep the fuel reasonably warm due to the cold @ high altitudes rather than for vaporization purposes?
06-07-2008 10:43 AM
jjski78 Offline

It's used for both purposes. It's used to heat due to the cold, and also to bring it up to the proper temp for proper atomization. Even running on the ground, if the fuel heater on a jet is not working properly, the engine will have a very noticeable decrease in performance.
06-07-2008 12:57 PM
rpatzer Offline

jjski78 Wrote:It's used for both purposes. It's used to heat due to the cold, and also to bring it up to the proper temp for proper atomization. Even running on the ground, if the fuel heater on a jet is not working properly, the engine will have a very noticeable decrease in performance.

Do you know what that proper temp is?
06-07-2008 02:44 PM
visek Offline

I had 8-9 wraps of copper tubing around the upper rad hose on a carbed car. Probably gained 8-10% mpg. Measured 110F gas temps without the heater...135 to over 156F with it working. Only time I saw what approached vapor lock was idling offroad where the slow fuel flow and heat buildup caused the temps to go up over 156F where my remote readout quits.

On a trip in summer stuck in traffic idling I noticed that the engine sounded like a diesel..shut it off and got it going after the light changed...no damage. Big issue was controlling the temp.

Also have a couple of Condensators...they work and are a bit more complicated than your basic PCV jar.

I paid for the water4gas info...a lot of it is pretty simple stuff....but the details are there...and it all works as a system. Guy says he is willing to take readers suggestions...but haven't seen a lot of change yet.

Too many people assume that you need a boatload of HHO to see a good gain...might with a non O2 or maybe pre '96...best to start down around 6 amps and work up? Tweak the sensors? Use additives? etc...etc.
06-09-2008 12:57 PM
gasfree2023 Offline

"I had 8-9 wraps of copper tubing around the upper rad hose on a carbed car. Probably gained 8-10% mpg."

8-10%, that's 40 cents a gallon when gas hits $5.

I've seen people line up around the block to save 40 cents a gallon.

With my work truck, that's a savings of about $11.00 a fill-up. I'm sold.
06-10-2008 11:31 AM