Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fuel Heater...Advantages??
fixityourselfer Offline

RE: Fuel Heater...Advantages??
what can one expect if they run a loop of metal fuel line around the exhaust?

i don't see that anyone is interested in heating the fuel past coolant temperature. is there a reason for this?

is it a guaranteed vapor lock perhaps?
04-26-2009 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pinhead Offline

Run the fuel much hotter than coolant temperature and you greatly increase the risk of burning out injectors.
04-26-2009 02:35 PM
COMP Offline

(04-26-2009 02:35 PM)Pinhead Wrote:  Run the fuel much hotter than coolant temperature and you greatly increase the risk of burning out injectors.

i agree it would cut their life
04-26-2009 06:00 PM
Ryanrpm Offline

And, your exhaust temps can get as high as 1200 degrees.

Purchased! The AquaThrustPlus. Installed on my engine: Tundra 4.7L

[Image: f_emp3hbpw24tm_bcf4d7d.jpg] [Image: f_d32qa8uwm_b9baaff.jpg]

My next mods: Envalve, Vapor Assist.
08-08-2009 07:22 AM
rpatzer Offline

Don't forget- most of the high mileage devices were developed for the carb and not for FI.
You can create vapor with heat or by mechanical means. After reading the literature by George Weisman, he seemed to be saying that the 14.7:1 stoichcastic ratio is still the best for mileage and pollution with the current computer-controlled FI vehicle.
I think the vaporizer does a good job of creating more vapor than the ECU can handle. The idea is not to lean out the mix, but rather, it seems to me, to go for as much vapor to replace the liquid and still maintain that ratio. (replacing rather than leaning) The EFFIE should allow one to do that.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2009 10:28 AM by rpatzer.)
08-08-2009 10:27 AM
COMP Offline

(08-08-2009 10:27 AM)rpatzer Wrote:  Don't forget- most of the high mileage devices were developed for the carb and not for FI.
You can create vapor with heat or by mechanical means. After reading the literature by George Weisman, he seemed to be saying that the 14.7:1 stoichcastic ratio is still the best for mileage and pollution with the current computer-controlled FI vehicle.
I think the vaporizer does a good job of creating more vapor than the ECU can handle. The idea is not to lean out the mix, but rather, it seems to me, to go for as much vapor to replace the liquid and still maintain that ratio. (replacing rather than leaning) The EFFIE should allow one to do that.

has anybody looked up Smokey Yunicks system ??
08-08-2009 11:00 AM
Pinhead Offline

The magic 14.7:1 ratio NOT the ratio of air to fuel. It is is the ratio of air to FUEL VAPOR by weight. The more vapor you can produce the less liquid you need.
08-08-2009 11:42 PM
rpatzer Offline

(08-08-2009 11:42 PM)Pinhead Wrote:  The magic 14.7:1 ratio NOT the ratio of air to fuel. It is is the ratio of air to FUEL VAPOR by weight. The more vapor you can produce the less liquid you need.

It sounds correct, but I think with the current fuel delivery system, FI, you will need a minimum of liquid just to be operational. I am not sure just how much liquid can be replaced with vapor. I am in the process of finding out. I have mileage figures for the EFFIE @ 2mv with max vapor and will increase the EFFIE to 2.5 and 3 to see how it works out. It seems to work by increasing the vaporizer until the engine starts to run rough and then back it off until you reach smooth running.
08-09-2009 06:27 AM
Gary Offline

That's what we need: some actual mileage figures instead of just theory. I can't say the Aquatune won't work, but anecdotes are negative so far. Heating fuel too much will cause injector cavitation, and that's bad, so putting vaporized fuel in the air intake makes more sense to me.
08-09-2009 04:28 PM
rpatzer Offline

(08-09-2009 04:28 PM)Gary Wrote:  That's what we need: some actual mileage figures instead of just theory. I can't say the Aquatune won't work, but anecdotes are negative so far. Heating fuel too much will cause injector cavitation, and that's bad, so putting vaporized fuel in the air intake makes more sense to me.

I think people who are concerned with heating the fuel are shortchanging themselves. What you want is vapor and a vaporizer will make more vapor than you can use. It is just a matter of liquid/vapor balance.
I read that review of the Aquatune and agree with the reviewer. From what I remember of physics/chemistry, you need to use electrolysis to split H20 and that unit doesn't and seems to me just an expensive water vaporizer. I used those back in the 60's. They didn't do much.
08-09-2009 05:31 PM