Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gas volume Vs Engine size calculations
tesla Offline

Gas volume Vs Engine size calculations
Has anyone crunched the HHO gas volume/flow requirements for a given engine displacement? I realize such a formula would be strife with a bazillion variables (vehicle weight, area altitude etc etc) but such info would be handy.

Otherwise building and installing a generator of unknown output on a vehicle with unknown demand is like pissing into the night (and a windy night at that!)

Not trying to be critical, and not in a million years do I mean to deter anyone's experimenting, but we need some hard scientific data...at least to determine some reasonable baseline info.

...same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the world!
07-26-2008 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Milosm Offline

RE: Gas volume Vs Engine size calculations
go to the following
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=374&page=3
post # 22, Qsiguy from MPG Solutions has your answer.
infact read the whole thred there is a lot of info there Doug.
07-26-2008 09:00 PM
tesla Offline

Thank you very much for that link! I don't care what they say about you, you're a gentleman and a scholar LOL

07-26-2008 09:52 PM
CraigBMM Offline

tesla Wrote:Thank you very much for that link! I don't care what they say about you, you're a gentleman and a scholar LOL

i read somewhere its good to shoot for around 1 LPM per liter of engine size to get the coveted 100 % gain

so 2.0 L engine 2 LPM of HHO

dont know if this is true tho , wink . but from what i've seen thats about right , still working to get there
07-27-2008 03:19 AM
hoozadoctor Offline

tesla Wrote:Has anyone crunched the HHO gas volume/flow requirements for a given engine displacement? I realize such a formula would be strife with a bazillion variables (vehicle weight, area altitude etc etc) but such info would be handy.

Otherwise building and installing a generator of unknown output on a vehicle with unknown demand is like pissing into the night (and a windy night at that!)

Not trying to be critical, and not in a million years do I mean to deter anyone's experimenting, but we need some hard scientific data...at least to determine some reasonable baseline info.

Clark or should I call you Mr Kent here is a rough calculation i did.

I my 5l V8 I am getting around 15L/100k sitting on 100 KPH that means I am using 15 litres of LPG per hour. Thats 15 Litres of compressed LPG or 4800 Litres in it natural gas form. that works out to 80 Litres per minute.

So at 100KPH I am using 80 Litres of Propane per minute.

now the AFR is 15.4:1 which is stoich for Propane (LPG)

80 x 15.4 = 1232 Litres

so I am actually burning 1232 Litres of GAS per minute.

Yes Propane and Oxygen and air are all gases.

So I suppose when you think about it 2 or even 3 litres per minute of browns soup is hardly even pissing in the wind.

Just one more thing to think about. if your generator is producing 1 litre per minute then it is only producing around 600 mill of hydrogen

thats 0.048% of the total gas needed to move the vehicle.

Evidently it takes 3 or is it 3.5 times as much space to store an equal quantity of hydrogen as it does to store propane and it is suggested you cannot get enough hydrogen into the motor via the manifold to run the car entirely on hydrogen.

They have found the most effective way to use propane is inject the propane into the cylinder while it is still in liquid form and the rapid expansion actually creates the compression to move the cylinders. It actually produces more torque and economy that fuel injected petrol.

seems the only way to use hydrogen on demand to entirely fuel a car is to seperate the water in the cylinder.

Doc
07-27-2008 05:24 AM
umim Offline

Good math....but most people want just lean gas mix and ADD HHO to gain MPG. So, question is still there: Production of HHO (LPM) vs. engine LITERS.
07-27-2008 06:51 AM
hydrodine Offline

I have found that 250 ml per minute per liter of engine seems to work out good for me. Just my numbers.
07-27-2008 02:38 PM
tesla Offline

hoozadoctor Wrote:Clark or should I call you Mr Kent here is a rough calculation i did.
Jor-El will suffice LOL! Thanks for all that info. Seeing as it's not my intent (at the moment) to run solely on hydrogen then your quoted 48% factor won't apply to me.

hydrodine Wrote:I have found that 250 ml per minute per liter of engine seems to work out good for me. Just my numbers.
Seeing as my heap has a 3.3 liter squirrel cage then you're talking about roughly 800 ml. Which in reality may mean 1000 ml is a reasonable safety margin to accommodate sustained heavy load (that's a nice way of saying "haul my fat ass around")

07-27-2008 05:05 PM