Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting Ready To Fire Up The Cell Block
DodgeViper Offline

Getting Ready To Fire Up The Cell Block
I had a major meltdown of my hard drive and lost nearly everything I had collected. Most of you know what I am building. Today I want to fire of the HHO system but I cannot remember what mixtures of Potassium Hydroxide and Distilled water I was going to begin with due to the lost of data.

I had bought 5-1 gallon jugs of distilled water and was going to mix each jug with a different mixture going from weak to strong in each jug. The plan was to flush the system between each mixture and not to exceed 50 amps. Just testing the cell block and output of litters with no HHO to the intake.

[Image: 30.jpg]

[Image: 33.jpg]

[Image: 34.jpg]

[Image: Hydrogen%20Powered.jpg]
2002 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 Ram
4.7L EFI
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2009 07:16 AM by DodgeViper.)
01-03-2009 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tonyc860 Offline

RE: Getting Ready To Fire Up The Cell Block
(01-03-2009 07:06 AM)DodgeViper Wrote:  I had a major meltdown of my hard drive and lost nearly everything I had collected. Most of you know what I am building. Today I want to fire of the HHO system but I cannot remember what mixtures of Potassium Hydroxide and Distilled water I was going to begin with due to the lost of data.

I had bought 5-1 gallon jugs of distilled water and was going to mix each jug with a different mixture going from weak to strong in each jug. The plan was to flush the system between each mixture and not to exceed 50 amps. Just testing the cell block and output of litters with no HHO to the intake.

[Image: 30.jpg]

Is this the 36 plate 8x8 like the sid's cell? I'm eagar to hear your output. I am awaiting my SS stock & gasket material to arrive so I can put the 36 8x8 together. Sid is claiming 7.1 lpm but he doesn't specify the amps.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

[Image: 33.jpg]

[Image: 34.jpg]

Tony
2003 Volvo v70 2.5L turbo
2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L v6
2005 F150 4.6 ltr-No longer Thank God!Smile
01-03-2009 11:39 AM
DodgeViper Offline

(01-03-2009 11:39 AM)tonyc860 Wrote:  Is this the 36 plate 8x8 like the sid's cell? I'm eagar to hear your output. I am awaiting my SS stock & gasket material to arrive so I can put the 36 8x8 together. Sid is claiming 7.1 lpm but he doesn't specify the amps.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Yes this is a Sid Cell and yes it will put out that many litters but be prepard to run it upwards of 75 amps to get this type of output. I take it your building your own cell? If so contact me by PM as I have something to share with you...

4.7L EFI
01-03-2009 02:23 PM
Gary Offline

I wouldn't premix anything. Just measure out your first batch and guess your second mix. Then you can extrapolate from the measurements and amps what you'll need (or close to) for your target amperage. Premixing I would expect to be pretty far off and a waste.
01-03-2009 05:26 PM
DodgeViper Offline

(01-03-2009 05:26 PM)Gary Wrote:  I wouldn't premix anything. Just measure out your first batch and guess your second mix. Then you can extrapolate from the measurements and amps what you'll need (or close to) for your target amperage. Premixing I would expect to be pretty far off and a waste.

But if the system does not hold a gallon I am never going to really know what my ratio is if I do not keep tract of the measurements. I don't have a problem of flushing and adding a new amount...

My issue is i do not know what amount to begin with...

4.7L EFI
01-03-2009 08:01 PM
thomasbala Offline

(01-03-2009 08:01 PM)DodgeViper Wrote:  
(01-03-2009 05:26 PM)Gary Wrote:  I wouldn't premix anything. Just measure out your first batch and guess your second mix. Then you can extrapolate from the measurements and amps what you'll need (or close to) for your target amperage. Premixing I would expect to be pretty far off and a waste.

But if the system does not hold a gallon I am never going to really know what my ratio is if I do not keep tract of the measurements. I don't have a problem of flushing and adding a new amount...

My issue is i do not know what amount to begin with...
You might want to buy a hydrometer, about $10.00. It measures the specific gravity of a liquid. You could probably find one at an aquarium supply or even Pet Smart. Salt water fish enthusiasts use them to check the salinity of their water which can mean, if you get it wrong, you lost some really expensive fish. Worst of all they're usually not even big enough to make a Filet-O Fish sandwich. They're pretty accurate for the price; you can work with small quantities of the liquid instead of gallon jugs; adjustment of the concentration is easily accomplished by adding more KOH, or removing some electrolyte and replacing it with distilled water. That's one fine looking professionally built cell. 50 A is dangerous, as I'm sure you know. I used to run 50 A until a fire [overheated wire melted through an HHO line causing small explosion] brought me back down to 20 - 25 A. I've often thought of using a deep cycle trolling motor battery to just power the generator, charging it up every night for the next day's travels. Rational being drawing 50 A from the alternator and the resulting drag on the engine might offset any mpg gains. Good Luck.
01-03-2009 11:55 PM
Gary Offline

Since the load is broken up into sections, I don't see any problem there. As long as there's no heavy load on any small wire, 10g in this case. I began melting insulation on my 10g fine-strand wires at 30a, but the heavy strand wires did fine for some reason. I'd thought it would be the other way around, but it makes sense, in that your house wiring is single strand. My experiment with using Romex (house wire) on a unit worked beautifully.
01-04-2009 05:36 AM
thomasbala Offline

(01-04-2009 05:36 AM)Gary Wrote:  Since the load is broken up into sections, I don't see any problem there. As long as there's no heavy load on any small wire, 10g in this case. I began melting insulation on my 10g fine-strand wires at 30a, but the heavy strand wires did fine for some reason. I'd thought it would be the other way around, but it makes sense, in that your house wiring is single strand. My experiment with using Romex (house wire) on a unit worked beautifully.
Thanks for the Romex tip; as long as there's no constant flex in the wire Romex should work.
01-04-2009 12:15 PM
DodgeViper Offline

Remember 50 amps would be the total draw but not the total of each cell. You would have to check each cell to see the amp draw. When I say 50 amps that is the draw at the solenoid. Each cell is wired with #10 THHN wire of which is really rated at 45 amps by national codes. The wire from the solenoid back to the battery is #2 stranded copper. The ground from the PWM is #2 back to the battery. With the PWM this is not going to be a problem...

Here is a link to the entire project, My HHO Project

4.7L EFI
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2009 06:46 PM by DodgeViper.)
01-04-2009 06:38 PM