Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Glass container
sax88player Offline

Glass container
Hey, If I put my cell in a glass jar with a plastic lid, how hot will it be able to get before things become a problem? Also, does anyone know where to get a good sealing tall container to put a cell that stands roughly 8-9 inches tall?

Thanks!
10-29-2008 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Delray Dude Offline

RE: Glass container
sax88player Wrote:Hey, If I put my cell in a glass jar with a plastic lid, how hot will it be able to get before things become a problem? Also, does anyone know where to get a good sealing tall container to put a cell that stands roughly 8-9 inches tall?

Thanks!

Dunno here, but alot of cells get to 160-10 degrees on a longer run.

I'm leary of glass in an engine compartment - but if it's secured, no biggie i guess - I could see a rock getting trown up or something breaking the glass - then you run the chance of something bad happening (including running over pieces of glass and trashing a tire or two).

I run a PCV 4" tube and my tube is approximately 26" tall, and have had no problems with it and i have measured temps in the 160-170 range. If you go this route, be sure to get the rated PCV - it's the more expensive one.

1993 Mustang LX
2.3 Liter engine
5 speed manual
8.8 GT axle with 2.71 gears
Smack Design Booster
EFIE currently set at .25
Without HHO was getting 24-25 MPG
Best result with HHO : 29.5 MPG
10-29-2008 10:58 AM
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

The glass can hold more heat, but the plastic lid will soften and eventually fail in short order.
Especially if your cell is under vacuum.
10-29-2008 12:18 PM
AlexR Offline

sax88player Wrote:Hey, If I put my cell in a glass jar with a plastic lid, how hot will it be able to get before things become a problem? Also, does anyone know where to get a good sealing tall container to put a cell that stands roughly 8-9 inches tall?

Thanks!

Please don't use glass, what if your bubbler/backfire arrestor fails while you are working under the hood? Glass and electrolyte everywhere. It's just not worth it.

I know it's cool to watch the BG being made, but there is clear PVC you could use.

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
10-29-2008 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zolar1 Offline
Got a Cheezeburger 4 me?

Thanks!

How about Wal-Mart. $8.99 in the food container isle.
It's clear acrylic with a wired hold down lid.

Be aware though. It wants to deform when under vacuum and hot. Watch where you put it and how many amps you draw.
10-29-2008 03:25 PM
wulfram Offline
Hauptmann Hydro

Plastic lid is a no-no. My very first gen ever was a mason jar with a plastic lid an it lasted a week. It's also a hazard since if the plastic lid melts enough while your on a trip - it can make the electrodes touch and ignite gases. It won't blow you up, but it'll make a mess of that glass jar and electrolyte water all over your engine.
10-29-2008 03:55 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

AlexR Wrote:

Thanks!

Please don't use glass, what if your bubbler/backfire arrestor fails while you are working under the hood? Glass and electrolyte everywhere. It's just not worth it.

I know it's cool to watch the BG being made, but there is clear PVC you could use.

Towards AlexR:
Please don't bash glass. There are many people here (myself included) who have never had a problem with it. Many people don't spend time to think about how the system actually works with glass and how safe it really is. For your sake (and the sake of others), I'm not going to chew you out about it and suggest that you just research it on the forum. Just my $.02 there.

Back on topic! Another thing that I use is an acrylic container. I picked one up at Wal-Mart for $7 and it's 5"x10" tall (I think that height?). It's withstood lots of heat as acrylic is really nice for dissipating heat and having a high heat tolerance. I don't recommend PVC or sometimes ABS for that matter because they melt like butter if there's a short. Yeah, it's a good way for a short detector, but it's also very expensive to recreate when it melts. Not fun. Sad

And remember, NO plastic lids! If ABS won't hold some stuff, plastic will never last. I highly recommend glass with a good lid or acrylic containers, preferring the latter if it will fit in your car.

And another way to have a low-heat buildup is to stick the gen where it could get direct air flow. I put mine in frnt of the radiator and it's warm to the touch after a couple hours of driving. Yay for air!

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2008 09:55 PM by RDKamikaze.)
11-02-2008 09:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sophocha Offline

I`m using glass containers as well , and all I can say is NO PROBLEMO at all! If you control the heat by making them more efficient then there is no problem.I`m using aluminium lids.Much stronger than the plastic ones
11-03-2008 03:25 PM