Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good Results
bandit354 Offline

RE: Good Results
I have to do something with my generator keeps on deforming the pvc and I have to cut it apart. Just bought another ten feet of 3inch pvc. Also begun making another generator out of stainless steel, a pasta holder made out of 18/8 stainless steel. 6inches high and 4 inches wide, they also had one that was ten inches high, but do not have enough room for that.
04-19-2008 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rags Offline

bandit
How many plates does your cell have, and how much water does you generator hold? You must be drawing a lot of amps. I had that problem with mine, at one point I was drawing 30 amps, and was blowing fuses, and the + connector melted the pvc. You might try making the plates smaller and run two sets of plated in series.
I solved my heat problem by doing that, one has 7 plates and the other has 6. Believe it or not I am using 15 tsp of soda in a gallon of water and drawing between 7 and 8 amps when warmed up and getting good action in the generator. The + connector is cool to the touch, and the generator is just barley warm. I am also using 3" pvc pipe, 18" long because of space issues. I don't think it is possible to post photos or I would do that.
04-20-2008 04:11 AM
Leftwings22 Offline

As a note here guys, it is beyond est, it is imperative that you use 316L stainless in your cells. 304 will release iron into your electrolyte solution. What happens when you release more fe into your soup? It becomes more conductive and will draw more amps. What happens when you draw more amps? It gets hotter. What happens when it gets hotter? It will draw more amps. What happens when you draw more amps? It gets hotter. What happens....

You get the picture, its a vicious cycle. Eventually you create steam, and blow fuses, melt your PVC, etc etc etc...

Also, baking soda breaks down under heat, so, instead of producing HHO, you are producing steam.

So, baking soda + 304 (or less) SS= Bad idea.

Baking soda + 316L = Good plan, as long as you can control the amperage, which controls the heat.

Also remember, water under a vacuum will boil at a much lower temperature.

Lefty

First! Our Planets Energy Concerns = F!OPEC

"100% of the shots you dont take wont go in"
Wayne Gretzky
04-20-2008 06:09 AM
Rags Offline

I understand what you are saying Lefty, however I have checked at the steel placed in my city and none stock 316 ss, it has to be speical ordered, which they do not want to do for the amount I would need, and if they did it would be to expensive.

Sometime you have to go with what is available, it may mean that the water and soda has to be changed more often, but that is just the nature of the beast. I have two cells in my generator in serial, have driven the car for over a week now every day, I am running at between 7 and 8 amps when warm, checked the water lever yesterday and it has not dropped, checked the action with the cap off, and the water is at a rolling boil (not because of heat). The generator tube is just barely warm and the + contact is cool to the touch. I keep a close watch on my amp guage and if it get higher than I am comfortable with I will change the solution. I still have not decided what amps not to exceed, but am leaning toward 15 amps, and that may be to high.

I checked with the mfg. of the plates I am using and they are rated 302/304. If you know where 316 ss can be obtained reasonably please give me the name and address. I experminted between soda and lye, with just 3 plates, -n+ just to see what happened. With 5 1/2 cups water, 1/2 tsp soda = 2 amps, 1tsp soda a= 3 amps, 11/2 tsp soda = 5 amps 2 tsp soda = 6 amps, 3 tsp soda = 9 amps. With the 9 amps I was getting a steady stream of bubbles. With 1/2 tsp of Lye and 5 1/2 cups of water I was drawing 9 amps, and producing about the same amount of bubbles as I was with 1 1/2 tsp soda and 5 1/2 cups of water.

So from that it appeared to me that I was getting more production out of soda than lye.
04-20-2008 08:01 AM
Fatman1 Offline

I been playing with 304 swich plates, they are cheap and eazy to get. 316 L is mush better ( L stands for low carbon) but like most people it hard to come by. Best price I found was $198.00 for 24 peices 4" x 24" plus shipping. I been told soda makes C02 and lye dosn't. I been using NaOH, it eazy to get here unlike KOH. I can't fine KOH.
http://www.flotronicpumps.co.uk/template...page:0004S Is a great site to see what work with what.
05-29-2008 05:43 AM