Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Goop, Glue, Epoxy inside a generator?
jrior001 Offline

Question Goop, Glue, Epoxy inside a generator?
Like most other newbies I've been searching all over for all the info I can find....Best I can tell a good series cell is the safest most consistent design if you can succesfully seal off the edges of the plates. So I've been studying the ZeroFossilFuel video series on youtube. He uses marine adhesive or GOOP in his cell. I've seen enough to know that anything silicone based is a definant NO-NO. Anybody else got any info on what else will hold up to life inside the cell ???
06-12-2008 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jrior001 Offline

RE: Goop, Glue, Epoxy inside a generator?
anybody???
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2008 12:23 PM by jrior001.)
06-15-2008 12:23 PM
tjh566 Offline
HydroCrazy

I am currently in progress of building my generator and I am using the GOOP you speak of, in the water4gas books he says it will hold up fine, But with no personal experience I cant say.
06-15-2008 03:33 PM
qsiguy Offline

If you use baking soda you can use about anything. I don't recommend using baking soda because NaOH or KOH works much better. Not sure about any compatibility issues with NaOH and GOOP. If you build it with tight enough tolerances, you won't have to use anything like that. If you want to enclose all the plates in one cell the Eagle Research HyZor plans will show you a good way to do it. Also the ER "Browns Gas Book 1" and "Browns Gas Book 2" (mostly Book 2) will show you ways to build a sealed series cell without any GOOP type sealants around the plates.

The two models I'm working on are 8 series cell units with 8 separate compartments in one container. Here's a photo of my narrow long model. The other one will be the same configuration but will be square. Each of the 8 compartments will have two electrodes 2" x 3". Voltage will be 1.5 - 1.725 volts per cell @ 12-13.8 volts supplied. We are planning to release these for sale by August. This is the first enclosure prototype so a few minor changes may be made prior to the release of the production model. The removable dividers allow you to perform maintenance easily as well as change around configurations if you desire.

[Image: IMG_2071.jpg]

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-15-2008 06:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owen1969 Offline

I also wanted to test the diffrence on a bench test with goop /no goop , But one prob thou..... What is goop? Is this it? http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html

tjh566 Wrote:I am currently in progress of building my generator and I am using the GOOP you speak of, in the water4gas books he says it will hold up fine, But with no personal experience I cant say.
06-15-2008 07:48 PM
jksav7 Offline

I've heard that 3M Window Weld works just fine. It can be purchased at NAPA.

BTW, baking soda turns into NaOH over time when it is used in electrolysis.
06-16-2008 03:34 AM
owen1969 Offline

Thanks JKSAV7 , I will try that stuff on one cell for testing vs no sealent, Would really like to see if it really helps.

jksav7 Wrote:I've heard that 3M Window Weld works just fine. It can be purchased at NAPA.

BTW, baking soda turns into NaOH over time when it is used in electrolysis.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2008 05:21 PM by owen1969.)
06-16-2008 04:40 PM
owen1969 Offline

qsiguy, Did you get a company to make those for you? Or can you buy like that? I would really like to buy one to try , Thanks

[quote=qsiguy]
If you use baking soda you can use about anything. I don't recommend using baking soda because NaOH or KOH works much better. Not sure about any compatibility issues with NaOH and GOOP. If you build it with tight enough tolerances, you won't have to use anything like that. If you want to enclose all the plates in one cell the Eagle Research HyZor plans will show you a good way to do it. Also the ER "Browns Gas Book 1" and "Browns Gas Book 2" (mostly Book 2) will show you ways to build a sealed series cell without any GOOP type sealants around the plates.

The two models I'm working on are 8 series cell units with 8 separate compartments in one container. Here's a photo of my narrow long model. The other one will be the same configuration but will be square. Each of the 8 compartments will have two electrodes 2" x 3". Voltage will be 1.5 - 1.725 volts per cell @ 12-13.8 volts supplied. We are planning to release these for sale by August. This is the first enclosure prototype so a few minor changes may be made prior to the release of the production model. The removable dividers allow you to perform maintenance easily as well as change around configurations if you desire.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2008 05:19 PM by owen1969.)
06-16-2008 04:42 PM
qsiguy Offline

I designed this prototype on CAD and sent it to a plastics company we use to manufacture various enclosures for us. I will be offering just the enclosures but I would suggest holding off until I get a chance to thoroughly test this one. I need to verify the material is suitable and that it will hold up in a vehicle environment. Of course I need to make sure it will produce the volume of gas I want within spec. What I like most is the fact that you will be able to run anywhere from 1-8 cells in series. We may find that we only want 6 or 7 wired in series. Or we could run two sets of 4 series cells in parallel. Many combinations available. It will also be quite easy to adjust the plate spacing with the electrode design I'm going to try first. You could put any style of electrode in it you want, I'm supposed to have the first set of electrodes back from the waterjet company in a day or two, made from 22 gauge 304 stainless.

[Image: LogoSM.jpg]
http://www.mpgsolutions.org
Authorized Scangauge II dealer
06-17-2008 07:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grisen Offline

jrior001 Wrote:Like most other newbies I've been searching all over for all the info I can find....Best I can tell a good series cell is the safest most consistent design if you can succesfully seal off the edges of the plates. So I've been studying the ZeroFossilFuel video series on youtube. He uses marine adhesive or GOOP in his cell. I've seen enough to know that anything silicone based is a definant NO-NO. Anybody else got any info on what else will hold up to life inside the cell ???

What about skipping the acrylic and just using a high quality epoxy like Loctite Professional to coat the edges of the plates and minimize current leakage? But will it stick...?
07-05-2008 11:02 PM