Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Goop, Glue, Epoxy inside a generator?
Gary Offline

RE: Goop, Glue, Epoxy inside a generator?
What happens to silicone in NaOH? I know of some people who are swearing by it, so I used it on one plate stack, as an experiment. GOOP is a bit more expensive; over 2x. Epoxy would be the most expensive, and can't be easily taken out.
07-06-2008 02:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Milosm Offline

You can get “GOOP” at Home Depot in the glue/adhesive section, Zero fossil fuel was using it and found out unbonded from the stainless steel plates due to the combination of the heat generated and chemical in the electrolyte. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_x8LOBpvA. Or he touched the edges of the plates with hie bare hands and deposited body oils on them.
There is another adhesive you can try its made by 3M and it’s called “5200” (also at Home Depot) in the caulking section. It’ about $15.00 a tube and doesn’t keep too long after opening. It is a marine caulk that is a super bonding agent, once you apply it as a bonding agent it will not come off, it is also self leveling to make a nice seal. The only place I found that has smaller tubes is in a marine store.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2008 09:04 AM by Milosm.)
07-06-2008 08:58 AM
jrior001 Offline

Lots of great info... thanks, i'm trying my first experiment using the GOOP, hopefully it does ok. If not it peals off my stainless pretty easy and i'll try something else.
07-06-2008 10:54 AM
Fatman1 Offline

I use goop and so far its worked great. I also get along good with 100% silicon but goop cost the same so I use it. It has a better flow and tacks up lot faster. i cross sand my plates by hand and clean them with mek or actone and goop's a b' to get off. if you get your gen around 190f for a long time 6-8 hrs it seems to debond a little where it thin. i coat everything inside my gen's with it that can come loose or gunk up.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2008 06:26 PM by Fatman1.)
07-06-2008 06:21 PM