Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
H2 production membranes
hydrotinkerer Offline

RE: H2 production membranes
jjb2888 Wrote:
Terry_Dodson Wrote:
hygear Wrote:
Terry_Dodson Wrote:Has anyone thought about Kevlar cloth?

Got any specs on the kevlar?

I found this and thought it sounded good:

Kevlar was developed in the early 1960's by Dupont. Assuming the same weight, Kevlar is literally five times stronger than steel. Kevlar fibers also have 43 percent less density than fiberglass. Originally developed to replace steel tire belts, it is an aramid with high strength and notable heat resistance. Kevlar's biggest weakness is its lack of compressive strength.
Why is Kevlar so useful for composites? A few reasons:

Thermal properties
Highly flame resistant
Can handle temperatures to 320 degrees F for extended periods with ease
Significantly lighter than even E-glass
Will not melt (at 800 degress F it begins to decompose

Kevlar sounds good, just don't know the cost also Goretx could work.

You can buy those kevlar sleeves to put on your arm for 3-10 dollars. They are about 12-14" long tube. Mechanics use them to slide on their arms to work around hot parts.
09-10-2008 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
texasdanml430 Offline

where do you get them? harbor freight (i hope)?

i LIKE kevlar; makes great sails that dont stretch.
09-11-2008 06:49 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

texasdanml430 Wrote:where do you get them? harbor freight (i hope)?

i LIKE kevlar; makes great sails that dont stretch.

Grainger has them for 4 dollars all different lengths
09-11-2008 07:23 AM
texasdanml430 Offline

cool. we have a graingers here, though i'll have to re-open my 'commercial' account.

kevlar is cool. i think a little old lady invented it. they use it in tires. also makes terrific
rope, again for sailboats. not so hot in the sun though, as u/v tends to make it break down.

best part is, though, its thin enough we could keep fairly tight electrode spacing for
efficient production.

wonder if it can take chemical and electrical environment?
09-11-2008 07:38 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

texasdanml430 Wrote:wonder if it can take chemical and electrical environment?

I would think it will take the electrical, I don't have a clue if the chemicals used for HHO will affect it or not.
09-11-2008 04:30 PM
Gary Offline

I think I'll chime in and report that H2 is not HHO in many ways. I've recently found, using tubes that as long as they're in the same bath they'll pick up the opposing voltage quite well; UNLIKE HHO. From this I surmise that your spacing issues may not be as critical as one may think. I've just made a jump of 1" tube to tube and it works extremely well.
The more I learn of H2, the more HHO stuff I have to let go of.
Welcome to the New Order.
09-11-2008 05:17 PM
hydrotinkerer Offline

Gary Wrote:I think I'll chime in and report that H2 is not HHO in many ways. I've recently found, using tubes that as long as they're in the same bath they'll pick up the opposing voltage quite well; UNLIKE HHO. From this I surmise that your spacing issues may not be as critical as one may think. I've just made a jump of 1" tube to tube and it works extremely well.

What electrolite are you using? What is your spacing? I'm in the middle of putting a h2 only cell together and I would rather not find out I messed up. Of course it will be after I finish glueing it all up. I've been toying with differing dividers.
09-11-2008 05:28 PM
Gary Offline

Well, I'm trying to use up my massive supply of NaOH, but Hydrodine uses sodium citrate at a mix of 4 oz (shot glasses) to 2 cups water. I started out waaaaay too hot. I cut it in half and surprisingly, the target tubes still bubble up all around to the outsides, which I thought they would not do.
For some reason, proximity is key in HHO and not in H2. Interesting, huh?
I was at about 18-19 amps hot before and now am about 5 amps cold; test run tomorrow will show out the hot current.
My divider is just plexi with 1/16" holes drilled 1/2" apart and stop 2/3 of the way up.
09-11-2008 05:56 PM
jjb2888 Offline

hydrotinkerer Wrote:
Gary Wrote:I think I'll chime in and report that H2 is not HHO in many ways. I've recently found, using tubes that as long as they're in the same bath they'll pick up the opposing voltage quite well; UNLIKE HHO. From this I surmise that your spacing issues may not be as critical as one may think. I've just made a jump of 1" tube to tube and it works extremely well.

What electrolite are you using? What is your spacing? I'm in the middle of putting a h2 only cell together and I would rather not find out I messed up. Of course it will be after I finish glueing it all up. I've been toying with differing dividers.
Ya know Gary, the more I read your post I keep think to Stan Meyer's cell. His was tubes not plate. I think is that with a tube you have a consistent surface area wiht no edges were the current can flow from one tube to another kind of like a radio antenna. With a plate you have two flat sides so the current is going to find the easiest way out which is near the edges.
09-11-2008 06:41 PM
Gary Offline

By Jove, I think you've got it jb! Makes sense to me. But ol' Stan was making HHO. He was so close to the answer it's scary! Too bad he died.
I know what you're working on; stay in touch. My friend and I may sort of fade out here soon, due to taking a different course in our experiments, but I think of you as one of the six or so guys in with us on this. I actually think you may be on a better track, because of the science projects we saw in that link. Everything they did was with plates, but who knows at this point?
At least I know now how to make a better water heater than even a Smack!
09-12-2008 02:22 AM