Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HELP!! Dual Explosion!!! Meltdown!!!
alscrimp Offline

HELP!! Dual Explosion!!! Meltdown!!!
First of all, let me apologize beforehand about the length of this post. Now the details. My father has a 1986 Ford Motorhome with a Holley carbureted 460 V-8. I mounted 2 nine plate dry cells in parallel on this as I was told this would be the best setting for this monster engine. I also mounted on the outlet side a secondary bubbler. There is a 4 quart reservoir attached. This is EXACTLY how I mounted this:

-Reservoir hoses down to 2 tees into the drycells. I have each cell connected with a tee into 3/8 hose on each cell.

-All cells are wired in parallel, not series.

-All hoses are 3/8 ID with hose clamps.

-KOH is used.

-Output hose from the reservoir goes into a secondary bubbler. In between the reservoir and bubbler, there is a check valve.

-Hose goes from the secondary bubbler outlet to another tee that splits the HHO into the PCV hose and the top of the air breather.

-An ammeter is mounted inside the vehicle to monitor the cell. The strength of the KOH is adjusted to run the system at 20-25 amps.

He was on his way home (which is about 3 hours from my house) when he noticed a slight mist on his windshield. He said the weather outside looked like it could rain, so he didn't pay any attention to it. He looked down at his ammeter and noticed it was starting to climb. So he stopped the vehicle and proceeded to get out. All of a sudden this was a muffled noise and then lots of mist. When he finally opened the hood, he noticed that the whole engine compartment was wet and the dry cells had pushed the orings out.

I plan to go see him this weekend to verify this. I would think that the 'mist on the windshield' is an indicator as there was a check valve in the hose at that location. If the check valve somehow fell out or separated, could this be a cause? Anybody else have this problem?
05-19-2011 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abe Offline

RE: HELP!! Dual Explosion!!! Meltdown!!!
My first guss is it overheated. you didn't say anything about using a PWM so I'd guess the amps went up and the cell got hot and the O-rings failed due to heat.I hope you told him to be careful and rinse the engine off.KOH is very corrosive.I would also have him look in the carb.KOH will eat the aluminium manifold it might have boild over into it.
Good Luck
05-19-2011 05:00 PM
mike Offline

There is some error in the install. Perhaps the check valve installed backwards. But there should never be any pressure on the system. Even if it overheated, the pressure shouldn't be able to build up. So find out why it's able to build up pressure and fix that.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-25-2011 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alscrimp Offline

(05-25-2011 08:16 AM)mike Wrote:  There is some error in the install. Perhaps the check valve installed backwards. But there should never be any pressure on the system. Even if it overheated, the pressure shouldn't be able to build up. So find out why it's able to build up pressure and fix that.

He went on vacation, so I have not checked out the system yet. The check valve scenario saids doable. I well check this out when he comes back. Thanks for all the good info!
05-26-2011 02:32 AM