Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO Canister Blew UP
towjoe42 Offline

HHO Canister Blew UP
Here is a partial quote from my earlier reply.
"My Truck is a 84 Ford F-350 6.9L Diesel. I plumbed the HHO hose into the Air Cleaner Cover with a 90 degree elbow.
That worked for me and Immediately the motor seemed to smooth out a bit. I ran it for a day until the HHO canister suffered a melt down, due to forgetting to put my inline fuse in place."
It must have been almost an instantaneous Explosion/Meltdown in the canister and I noticed smoke from the engine compartment coming up through the hood near the windshield. I shut down the power switch to the HHO Canister and pulled over and found a big hole melted in the canister. That's when I disconnected it and drove home.
I ran the truck for a few days and did not see any adverse effects.
I left for a week to Oregon and upon returning home I fired up the Diesel Truck and it was smoking real bad.
I am trying to figure out what is the cause of the smoke?
Is it possible that when my HHO Canister suffered the melt down too much smoke from the burning plastic canister got into the motor and caused it to start smoking?
I had clean fresh # 2 Diesel in the aux tank it was running on and some diesel injector cleaner in the tank.
What should I look at to figure out the smoking problem?
I have a couple short video clips showing the smoke.
It is not coolant as far as I can tell. I have looked real close at the level of the coolant overflow tank. It has stayed full all during this smoking problem.
I am not getting coolant in the oil pan, so I don't think it is a head gasket starting to go. I tried to attach a short video showing the smoke. Any ideas where I can start?

1982 Mercedes Turbo Diesel, Automatic.
unit is:Water Filter Housing, 10"X4".
Distilled water with 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda.
Plates: Stainless Steel Wire
wound around two plastic plates.
Continuous Duty Solinoid, 30Amp
inline fuse. On/of Switch with Indicator Light.
09-08-2009 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
abe Offline

RE: HHO Canister Blew UP
(09-08-2009 09:54 PM)towjoe42 Wrote:  Here is a partial quote from my earlier reply.
"My Truck is a 84 Ford F-350 6.9L Diesel. I plumbed the HHO hose into the Air Cleaner Cover with a 90 degree elbow.
That worked for me and Immediately the motor seemed to smooth out a bit. I ran it for a day until the HHO canister suffered a melt down, due to forgetting to put my inline fuse in place."
It must have been almost an instantaneous Explosion/Meltdown in the canister and I noticed smoke from the engine compartment coming up through the hood near the windshield. I shut down the power switch to the HHO Canister and pulled over and found a big hole melted in the canister. That's when I disconnected it and drove home.
I left for a week to Oregon and upon returning home I fired up the Diesel Truck and it was smoking real bad.
Is it possible that when my HHO Canister suffered the melt down too much smoke from the burning plastic canister got into the motor and caused it to start smoking?
I had clean fresh # 2 Diesel in the aux tank it was running on and some diesel injector cleaner in the tank.
It is not coolant as far as I can tell. I have looked real close at the level of the coolant overflow tank. It has stayed full all during this smoking problem.
I am not getting coolant in the oil pan, so I don't think it is a head gasket starting to go. I tried to attach a short video showing the smoke. Any ideas where I can start?

Have you checked to see if any lie has got into the carb when the cell got hot.If it got hot enough it could have boiled over and went onto the carb,then through the manifold to your pistons and could have done damage to your engine.I hope not but you could check by looking through your carb and looking for white power or residue.
09-09-2009 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
houdini1953 Offline
HHO Learner

(09-09-2009 03:42 PM)abe Wrote:  
(09-08-2009 09:54 PM)towjoe42 Wrote:  Here is a partial quote from my earlier reply.

Have you checked to see if any lie has got into the carb when the cell got hot.If it got hot enough it could have boiled over and went onto the carb,then through the manifold to your pistons and could have done damage to your engine.I hope not but you could check by looking through your carb and looking for white power or residue.

Diesel engines do not use a carburetor they use direct injection or DI!
11-02-2009 01:49 PM
Smudge Offline

(11-02-2009 01:49 PM)houdini1953 Wrote:  

Metal damage from lye was the first thing I thought of.
Regardless whether the vehicle has a carb or not.
Lye eats through aluminum faster than kids eat through bags of tater chips. The steel piston rings, cylinders and valves should be safe.
If the aluminum piston got eaten enough to give smoke, that's real trouble.
The head could be either steel or aluminum. I don't know.
11-02-2009 03:31 PM
towjoe42 Offline

(11-02-2009 03:31 PM)Smudge Wrote:  
(11-02-2009 01:49 PM)houdini1953 Wrote:  

I did not use Lye, in the canister, I used baking soda in the distilled water. But I am sure the canister melting down and the electrolyed being sucked into the DI intake of the air cleaner with the smoke did affect the engine smoking.
I have started it up every few days and let it run for twenty minuets or so and the smoking has seemed to diminish as time goes on. I also had wondered if the Diesel Fuel went bad after sitting in the tank for a few months?
I put an auxillary five gallon tank next to the main Aero Tank in the bed, and hooked the supply and return lines up to it with fresh diesel in the small tank.
The smoke is almost no noticable now, so I will hook it up to the main tank and see if it smokes on the main tank.
My new HHO unit is a glass Jar with four Electrodes. I have inserted plastic between the electrodes to keep them from swinging back and forth on the road.
I the bottom of the SS electrodes have SS washers spaced with SS nuts. I took the plastic i mentioned and drilled holes in it to match the location of the bottom of the SS Bolts. I turned the nuts up a bit and got enough space on the bottom to put the plastic sheet on the bottom with the last nut holding it in place.
This also keeps the SS washers on the bottom of the SS bolts from hitting the side of the Glass Jar.
I also have another unit for my Mercedes Diesel I shown below, but it will have to wait for my truck to get up and running for the CTTA Meeting.

I am getting it ready and already have a new unit under the hood for the next meeting of the Local CTTA, (California Tow Truck Association) here in San Diego on the 11th of november.
The topic will be "Hybrid Vehicles", and they want to see my installation.
Anyone in the San Diego Area care to help me prepare my HHO unit for the Meeting?
Even any help online will help. Thanks, Tow Joe

Metal damage from lye was the first thing I thought of.
Regardless whether the vehicle has a carb or not.
Lye eats through aluminum faster than kids eat through bags of tater chips. The steel piston rings, cylinders and valves should be safe.
If the aluminum piston got eaten enough to give smoke, that's real trouble.
The head could be either steel or aluminum. I don't know.

1982 Mercedes Turbo Diesel, Automatic.
unit is:Water Filter Housing, 10"X4".
Distilled water with 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda.
Plates: Stainless Steel Wire
wound around two plastic plates.
Continuous Duty Solinoid, 30Amp
inline fuse. On/of Switch with Indicator Light.
11-03-2009 11:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply