Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO Generator
mrmechanical Offline

HHO Generator
To start, I would like to say Hi to all, I am new here, and to HHO, but am certainly getting a crash course in HHO generating. So let me tell my story, and hopefully those of you better at it than I will be able to point me in a good direction to continue. I started with a clear generator kit from Hydrogen Garage, purchased a jar of KOH from Soapworks, and started the fun. I assembled the generator as per instructions, installed it in what I thought to be the coolest place in the engine compartment of my 1987 Nissan Sentra, hooked everything up, turned it on and drove away. I wish it was just that simple. I am a truck mechanic by trade, and love a challenge, but this is different. No matter how much I adjusted the KOH strength, it appeared that I would always end up with thermal run off, 150+ degrees and 25+ amps. I guess at this time I should say I live in south Florida (think HOT HOT all the time). I hooked a thermometer to the outside of the generator and found that even when not in use it would get to over 130 degrees (I think that's too hot). I tried various ways to keep it cool. I used a washer pump to pump the solution through an old copper transmission cooler, the temp stayed down, but didn't produce any gas. So I took the pump off and let thermal dynamics take its course, that didn't work either, the solution started to turn green, and I kept filling the cooler with HHO so it wouldn't cool it. Finally I relocated my battery to my trunk, and relocated the generator to a cooler spot in the engine bay. I enclosed the generator and mounted a 10" radiator fan above it to give good air circulation, I also glued aluminium strips to the outside of the generator to help with heat dissipation. Finally I also lowered my KOH concentration to 10 amps at start up, within 45 min will hit 20 amps, finally blowing a 25 amp fuse. Well I can't seem to get it to run below about 120-125 degrees (ambient right now is about 95 degrees and very humid). I am going to install a PWM within the next few days, and I am hoping that will help. So my questions to whoever can answer them are; What is a reasonable temp for the generator to run at? and Does anyone have any other cooling ideas?

God give me the serenity to accept things which cannot be changed;
Give me courage to change things which must be changed;
And the wisdom to distinguish one from the other
06-06-2008 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlexR Offline

RE: HHO Generator
Did you ask the same question to the folks at Hydrogen Garage?

Alex

Alex

Cool Flame, LLC
http://www.cool-flame.com
06-06-2008 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrmechanical Offline

No I didn't, I just felt that here and overunity would give me access to more information

God give me the serenity to accept things which cannot be changed;
Give me courage to change things which must be changed;
And the wisdom to distinguish one from the other
06-08-2008 08:31 AM
jksav7 Offline

I highly recommend that you learn to build a true series cell booster where each cell's bath of electrolyte is separated from the others. That will limit the heating while maximizing gas production.
06-08-2008 10:33 AM
owen1969 Offline

jksav7- Do you have any info on the series cell booster you are reffering to? Such as plates in cell, -n+ or -+ or +nn-nn+nn- or whatever? I would lke to make a series cell for my truck but never seen one as of yet and all above I mentioned seems to produce all the same - weird!
06-11-2008 01:11 PM
jdram58 Offline

Hmm? I think hydrogen garage also sells a PWM Pulse width modulator that may help keep your temperature down and a little less draw on the currant and it produces better HHO more monatomic "H" not "H2". As it is like a pulsed currant and should also produce I have heard up to 3 times more gas. It is like turning a poweer switch on and off very quickly and i believe it is adjustable so you can fine tune it. God knows we don't want to lose a mechanic here as they are to few and far between that will even look into something like this!
06-16-2008 04:35 AM
jksav7 Offline

Of course, there are other ways of doing it, but these are the plans I will most likely be following when I get around to do it:

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/

Go to Chapter 10, and page 31.

owen1969 Wrote:jksav7- Do you have any info on the series cell booster you are reffering to? Such as plates in cell, -n+ or -+ or +nn-nn+nn- or whatever? I would lke to make a series cell for my truck but never seen one as of yet and all above I mentioned seems to produce all the same - weird!
06-16-2008 10:25 AM
CraigBMM Offline

jksav7 Wrote:Of course, there are other ways of doing it, but these are the plans I will most likely be following when I get around to do it:

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/

Go to Chapter 10, and page 31.

owen1969 Wrote:jksav7- Do you have any info on the series cell booster you are reffering to? Such as plates in cell, -n+ or -+ or +nn-nn+nn- or whatever? I would lke to make a series cell for my truck but never seen one as of yet and all above I mentioned seems to produce all the same - weird!

also the Sodium Hydroxide runs alot cooler . try that , distilled water with 1/2 teaspoon of 100% NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) , and try adding 1/3 cup of 70% isoprpl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) , i use this mix and it runs waaaaaay cooler than any other
07-08-2008 06:20 PM