Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO Nightmare!!!
NeVeRmiNdQ Offline

Sad HHO Nightmare!!!
Okay so here is how last night went for me... I left the movie theatre and mall after being in there for 5 hrs or so and went to my truck I got in and noticed I had left the HHO generator on (I have a switch to turn it off and on( And I was worried bc I thought the battery woukld be dead bc it had been running 3amps and 12 v for 5 hrs! So I was nervous putting the key in, I was worried it wouldn't start. Little did I know that was the least I should be worried about at the time. So I turn the key and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! A big explosion goes off and shoots up the hood. Immediately I knew what happened, but I was hoping it was my HHO cell that had exploded. It was not. I open the hood and see that the intake manifold is totally shredded, peices everywhere and the hood fabric totally burned a hole in. I want to let everyone know, as I'm sure they already do, that HHO is SERIOUS stuff, and it could kill you. It is going to cost me $6OO at the least to fix it, if it IS just the intake manifold. But my question is this...I don't have a 12v ignition switched positive, I've looked for one but can't find it, all I could find was a wire going to the OBD output giving off 5v but it is constantly on, so I have the HHO connected directly to the batt with a switch between the + lead.

1= What can I do to make sure this never happens, like the car will beep if you leave the keys in, how could I do it for this?

and...

2= If I ever notice that I left the HHO on when I get back into the car, what is someone to do, I have thought about it all day but can't figure out what I would do if I could live last night over, knowing what would happen, what could I have done?

I appreciate any input.
03-01-2008 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: HHO Nightmare!!!
Wow, spectacular! I bet you needed a change of underwear after that! Was your girlfriend with you? (That would make the nightmare complete).

You need to use a relay on your HHO power circuit. The relay should be powered from your ACC switch. This powers the relay coil only when the switch is on. As the coil draws negligible power, you can use any easily available circuit that is on when the ACC switch is turned on, but is off otherwise.

Use the same power circuit as before at the coil's Normally Open (NO) contacts on the relay. You can still use your switch, if you want to turn the HHO off. But this will only allow it to run when the key is turned on.

I have been planning to produce (but haven't yet), a device that senses when the engine is running, and will throw a large relay then. It will sense if the alternator is producing current, and only then will it throw it's relay. It's purpose is to provide switching that only occurs when the engine is actually running. And is specifically to avoid the problem you had. With the switched relay as described above, you could still leave the key turned on, listening to the radio or some such, and get a gas build up.

One other note. If you do use a switched relay, and you do listen to the radio with the engine not running, just turn the switch off for a few minutes. Hydrogen is the most elusive gas there is. It is nearly impossible to contain because it's molecule size is so small. It will disperse in a minute or two, and you can then start the car safely.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2008 06:00 PM by mike.)
03-01-2008 02:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NeVeRmiNdQ Offline

Actually I forgot to mention my girlfriend was with me, she jumped out of the car and started crying, she thought it was going to explode. I wasn't scared bc I was so shocked but seeing how much it terrified her made me get scared too. I am a little confused a relay would be put on the + lead wire coming from the batt to the HHO, right? But then how do I get it to sense when I turn the key on? And are there diff voltages of relay or can I get a general one that works for all. Sorry, I do know a little about everything like mechanics, chemistry, and fuel devices, but I'm not familiar with relays, I've never used one, I know they are very common though. Thank you for your advice, it's good to know if it does happen again I can avoid it by letting it sit.
03-01-2008 02:55 PM
Sartech Offline

NeVeRmiNdQ Wrote:Actually I forgot to mention my girlfriend was with me, she jumped out of the car and started crying, she thought it was going to explode. I wasn't scared bc I was so shocked but seeing how much it terrified her made me get scared too. I am a little confused a relay would be put on the + lead wire coming from the batt to the HHO, right? But then how do I get it to sense when I turn the key on? And are there diff voltages of relay or can I get a general one that works for all. Sorry, I do know a little about everything like mechanics, chemistry, and fuel devices, but I'm not familiar with relays, I've never used one, I know they are very common though. Thank you for your advice, it's good to know if it does happen again I can avoid it by letting it sit.

Scary occurance there. Mike is right, the HHO is pretty unstable and the Hydrogen molecule wants to be with an O2 molecule and will work tirelessly to be water again. All you would have had to do is wait about 15 minutes for the gas to disperse and you would have been fine.
You could just find the signal from the oil pressure switch and fire a relay (12vdc coil of course) and pick up your gen circuit that way. Oil pressure works best as it GUARENTEES the motor is running before letting the generator run. Simple too. If yours is a variable signal as some are, you can install a simple oil press switch for an idiot light type system to give you 12 v when running. Works good and very reliable.
03-01-2008 04:53 PM
mike Offline

Excellent idea Sartech. I like the idea of using the oil pressure to activate the relay.

Nevermindq, have a look at this page. Notice terminals 85 and 86. These are the coil terminals in the relay. The coil is what activates the relay (ie, turns the switch on). The coil requires very low amounts of power, so can be powered by other circuits, such as the oil pressure light, as Sartech suggested. Just check that your oil pressure switch produces 12 volts when the car is running, and 0 volts when it is off. If so, use this for your coil + (terminal 85 in the diagram), and attach terminal 86 to ground. This will activate the relay only when the oil pressure comes up, when the engine is running.

Then connect the circuit you already have for your electrolyzer through the NO (Normally Open) contacts. This will ensure your electrolyzer only gets juice when the engine is actually running. As soon as you turn the car off, the oil pressure will drop, the pressure switch will deactivate, and this will deactivate your relay.

You can get a relay from an auto parts store, as well as a base (something to plug your relay into), that has terminals to attach your wires. I don't know exactly what amperage your HHO device is supposed to need, but a relay rated for 40 amps should cover anything you'll need it to do. 30 amps is probably ok too.

If you need to more about relays, read the first part of the relay wiki. It can be found here. This will give you better understanding of how they work.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-01-2008 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sartech Offline

mike Wrote:Excellent idea Sartech. I like the idea of using the oil pressure to activate the relay.

Nevermindq, have a look at this page. Notice terminals 85 and 86. These are the coil terminals in the relay. The coil is what activates the relay (ie, turns the switch on). The coil requires very low amounts of power, so can be powered by other circuits, such as the oil pressure light, as Sartech suggested. Just check that your oil pressure switch produces 12 volts when the car is running, and 0 volts when it is off. If so, use this for your coil + (terminal 85 in the diagram), and attach terminal 86 to ground. This will activate the relay only when the oil pressure comes up, when the engine is running.

Then connect the circuit you already have for your electrolyzer through the NO (Normally Open) contacts. This will ensure your electrolyzer only gets juice when the engine is actually running. As soon as you turn the car off, the oil pressure will drop, the pressure switch will deactivate, and this will deactivate your relay.

You can get a relay from an auto parts store, as well as a base (something to plug your relay into), that has terminals to attach your wires. I don't know exactly what amperage your HHO device is supposed to need, but a relay rated for 40 amps should cover anything you'll need it to do. 30 amps is probably ok too.

If you need to more about relays, read the first part of the relay wiki. It can be found here. This will give you better understanding of how they work.

Mike, George makes a board now that uses Batt +, Ign, contact closure from his float switch (to signal when to fill, w/led), oil press all in a compact board to control power to the HyZor. I am sure he will sell them seperately from the kits. He uses a 7809 vr to control over current to the generator and shut it off. Easy to build too I'm sure.
03-01-2008 06:45 PM
mike Offline

Cool. I probably have the diagrams for that in my HyZor manual. For now, I think we just need a simple fix to get Nevermindq up and going again. Your pressure switch idea was excellent.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-01-2008 07:25 PM
NeVeRmiNdQ Offline

Turned out to be $86O to fix, new intake manifold, map sensor, fuel pump fuse, and intake gasket set. Where would I find my oil pressure signal wire on my 2OO3 Ford Ranger?
03-05-2008 08:28 PM
mike Offline

I don't know. But...

If you don't have your wiring diagram, get the diagrams for all your car's systems from ahdol.com. They'll email you a .pdf file with all your wiring diagrams for $11. Well worth it. The beauty of that is that you don't have to hook up at the oil pressure switch, which may be in an inconvenient location. You can just pick up it's wire at the ECU harness where it's nice and accessible.

Visit Our Documents Page
03-05-2008 09:44 PM
Sartech Offline

You may find that oil press doesn't land on the ecu but instead goes directly to the instrument panel. Hard to say. Oil press. is often a go-no go signal so the computer doesn't necessarily need it. Either way, it is easier to get to it at the ecu or the panel instead of fishing it out from behind the motor.
03-09-2008 05:41 PM