Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO and Air Cooled Engines
cavediver520 Offline

HHO and Air Cooled Engines
Hi everyone, The question I have is has anyone used hho on an air cooled VW engine and were there any adverse effects such as engine overheating or anything else? Thanks in advance.
12-17-2008 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: HHO and Air Cooled Engines
There's been no reports of overheating that I've seen in this forum. If anything the engine runs cooler.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-17-2008 05:52 PM
cavediver520 Offline

colchiro Wrote:There's been no reports of overheating that I've seen in this forum. If anything the engine runs cooler.

ok thanks, I figured it probably would but wasn't sure
12-17-2008 06:09 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

If I remember right (haven't done research on it lately), the only thing that COULD make the engine run hotter (unless I'm 100% wrong because I forgot, colchiro help!) is ethanol fuel (aka. E85). I'm not sure though, now that I think about it more it makes the engine run cooler. It is 105 octane though... but HHO was rated at 150 octane as well, so who knows.

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
12-18-2008 06:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

R and D, Wink I thought of that when I wrote that. Actually ethanol creates less heat, which can be a problem with sub zero temps. I remember driving down Interstate with E85 and it took an hour to get decent heat in my '05 Rav4.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
12-18-2008 06:24 PM
RDKamikaze Offline
Because Saving Gas Matters

colchiro Wrote:R and D, Wink I thought of that when I wrote that. Actually ethanol creates less heat, which can be a problem with sub zero temps. I remember driving down Interstate with E85 and it took an hour to get decent heat in my '05 Rav4.

Hahaha colchiro, I thought you did, which is what gave me the idea too! Anyway, that's what I thought, but I hate posting misleading information. So yeah, e85 runs cooler! Yay in AZ hahaha!

My Car:
2006 Toyota Solara 2.4L 4cyl.
-Aftermarket (JPP) header
-DNX exhaust
-Injen Short-Ram Intake (SRI)

Add yourself to the HHO member map!!
12-18-2008 06:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
saltmine Offline

Hmmm, if you guys remember...the original "watercar" that Stan Meyer built actually was a Volkswagen.....
HHO does make an engine run slightly cooler due to more complete combustion. E85 on the other hand has a BTU content of roughly half of straight gasoline...so, you won't be overheating anything with it...unless your engine computer can't compensate for the E85 fuel and it runs lean...that would make it hot...for sure.
12-18-2008 06:45 PM
colchiro Offline

E85 tolerates a lean mix better than straight gas, so it's even possible to add an efie to it.Cool

Rick

12-18-2008 07:35 PM