Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO and Turbos
uj2 Offline

HHO and Turbos
Hello all, long time stalker and first time poster. Been doing a fair share of research on HHO systems and what it takes to get the most gain from them but the one thing I have not seen is information about is installing one of these units on a modern-day turbo charged car. All in all I would say I haven't seen much of anyone who has done so and what their experience has been, nor have I seen any posts saying, "no, you don't want to put this on a turbo". So for better or worse I've purchased a system and look forward to receiving it and installing it shortly.

Since there is little info about the subject on a turbo it looks like I might be a guinea pig in some ways so I plan on taking very small baby steps at first. Already have the wiring diagram for my car and have identified virtually all of the sensors. With my laptop I've logged a trip to and from work to use as a baseline and will go from there. Hopefully I'll be able to make a contribution of my experience and it won't be that my turbo melted or valves burned Blush

Regards,
Joseph
05-22-2008 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jksav7 Offline

RE: HHO and Turbos
Based upon what I've heard you definitely want to inject the hydroxy gas right before the butterfly, not into or near the turbo.

uj2 Wrote:Hello all, long time stalker and first time poster. Been doing a fair share of research on HHO systems and what it takes to get the most gain from them but the one thing I have not seen is information about is installing one of these units on a modern-day turbo charged car. All in all I would say I haven't seen much of anyone who has done so and what their experience has been, nor have I seen any posts saying, "no, you don't want to put this on a turbo". So for better or worse I've purchased a system and look forward to receiving it and installing it shortly.

Since there is little info about the subject on a turbo it looks like I might be a guinea pig in some ways so I plan on taking very small baby steps at first. Already have the wiring diagram for my car and have identified virtually all of the sensors. With my laptop I've logged a trip to and from work to use as a baseline and will go from there. Hopefully I'll be able to make a contribution of my experience and it won't be that my turbo melted or valves burned Blush

Regards,
Joseph
05-22-2008 11:40 AM
bandit354 Offline

I wouldn't install it before the throttle body if it leaks you will be losing lots of boost off the turbo and those turbos on gas cars run from 8psi all the way up to 20psi thats alot of pressure on your hho generator you would be better off on the air intake tube to the turbo, nothing after the turbo to the intake though, not even the inter-cooler.
05-22-2008 06:41 PM
uj2 Offline

After reviewing the logs of my rides to and from work I'm inclined to agree bandit354, the turbo boost hit a max of 26.4 PSI which is a lot of pressure on a device not exactly designed to take pressure. Besides, if the system were put after the turbo with a flow-control valve to prevent back pressure I'd be losing the benefit of the HHO system any time the system went in to boost which on this car is quite often. Odd just how often it does go in to boost even when not 'getting on it'.
05-23-2008 04:41 AM
ptours99 Offline

listen, have you considered that your forced air temps b4 the intercooler could detonate the hydroxy gas,especially at that boost pressure.if it was me i'd inject after the cooler,use a threaded bung into pipe b4 the throttle body.

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
05-26-2008 03:37 PM
uj2 Offline

Appreciate your point of view but unless I read the attached 2 links incorrectly, I don't believe that injecting pre-turbo should be a problem. Hydrogen (according to the the attached links) has a higher ignition temperature than gasoline and would require a higher concentration that what I imagine a unit would be putting out. Being new to this myself if I've misread it or overlooked something, by all means please point it out.

Link 1
Link 2

Fuel - Autoignition Temperature
Hydrogen - 1085 ºF (585 ºC)
Methane - 1003 ºF (540 ºC)
Propane - 914 ºF (490 ºC)
Methanol - 725 ºF (385 ºC)
Gasoline - 450 to 900 ºF (230 to 480 ºC)
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2008 05:05 PM by uj2.)
05-26-2008 05:04 PM
bandit354 Offline

If you inject after the intercooler you are still putting the hho under alot of pressure. No matter how you look at it, the hho injection point has to be pre-turbo.
05-26-2008 07:10 PM
ptours99 Offline

if you are injecting hydroxy i think it's way more potent than straight hydrogen so just my 2 cents good luck!

selling an enclosure for the rear of cab semi truck 28''X20''X6'' CUSTOM MADE ALUMINUM TO HOUSE HHO GENERATORS AND INCLUDING A RESERVOIR BUBBLER AND REGULAR BUBBLR ptoures@sbcglobal.net usa only
05-28-2008 04:01 PM
uj2 Offline

ptours99, good point and thanks for making me go look at another point of view.

Oxyhydrogen is a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gases, typically in a 2:1 atomic ratio, the same proportion as water. This gaseous mixture is widely used for torches for the processing of refractory materials.

Oxyhydrogen will combust when brought to its autoignition temperature. For a stoichiometric mixture, autoignition occurs at about 570 °C (1065 °F).[2] The minimum energy required to ignite such a mixture with a spark is about 0.02 millijoules.[2] At normal temperature and pressure, oxyhydrogen can burn when it is between about 4% and 94% hydrogen by volume.

By ALL means, keep 'em coming...
05-28-2008 06:21 PM
snc22782 Offline

I don't think any of our type systems are making enough hydrogen to worry about. You need to inject it between the air filter and the turbo. Otherwise you will need to have your hydrogen pressurized to a level higher than what the turbo is making. it won't hurt the turbo or intercooler unless it somehow ignites. I can't see how it would.
05-28-2008 09:07 PM