Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO and e85 conversion?
firefly Offline

HHO and e85 conversion?
Hi everyone! Big Grin

I'm new here, and wanted to know if anyone has put a e85 conversion kit on their car and also put a HHO generator on at the same time? Will you get lower mpg's or the same or higher mpg's with this combination? Can you lean out the e85 being used by using an O2 extender or will you have starting problems in cold weather by leaning out the e85? Just wondering if running a lean e85 mixture plus HHO gas will get you extra mpg's? Will running e85 and HHO combined cause any engine damage since they're a higher octane? Any advice or thoughts on this? Thanks.
05-29-2008 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HerronPerformance Offline

RE: HHO and e85 conversion?
Are you doing a conversion to E85? That is one aspect to deal with, once you got that figured out adding the HHO should be 'simple'.

Stoich for E85 is 9.x:1, gasoline is 14.7:1 and the E10 (which is showing up more and more) has a value between those 2 numbers, hence why cars get less MPGs with the mixed fuel ie the E10 stuff.

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-30-2008 05:39 AM
colchiro Offline

I only know of two E85 users here and we're both dabbling with hho, although there's a couple people that own stills so may have more soon.

I'm currently running just e85 and since modding my coolant temp and air temp sensors and adding an o2 extender, have had starting issues when the vehicle is partially warmed up (like running errands first thing in the morning). I think I need to add a relay so the changes take effect a few minutes after starting. I suspect adding hho to E85 is no different than adding it to gas, you still need to tweak the mix to find the "sweet spot". FWIW, I didn't see a mileage increase after modding the sensors and using E85. An EFIE doesn't work with my air fuel sensor.

If you're interested in e85 you should be checking out the forum at [url= http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php]e85vehicles.com[/url].

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-30-2008 10:09 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

hmmm....what was the purpose of modding the Coolant Temp and air temp sensors? or even going to E85?
In SC the E85 is not that easy to get, not alot of stations have it and it is not that much cheaper to buy than 87oct so it's hard for me to see the benefit of this fuel when coupled with the lesser fuel economy.

BUT in other areas I think it is easier to get and cost much less than 87, I think here it is 20cents cheaper.

NOW, how are these flex fuel vehicles coping with going between the E85 and gasoline...that computer relationship would be interesting to figure out, b/c gasoline is shooting for 14.7 and the E85 shoots for 9.x, unless they are just letting the computer use the knock sensors to pull timing and add fuel, hence the crappier gas mileage on E85...I need to log an E85 vehicle to see what is going on....
colchiro Wrote:I only know of two E85 users here and we're both dabbling with hho, although there's a couple people that own stills so may have more soon.

I'm currently running just e85 and since modding my coolant temp and air temp sensors and adding an o2 extender, have had starting issues when the vehicle is partially warmed up (like running errands first thing in the morning). I think I need to add a relay so the changes take effect a few minutes after starting. I suspect adding hho to E85 is no different than adding it to gas, you still need to tweak the mix to find the "sweet spot". FWIW, I didn't see a mileage increase after modding the sensors and using E85. An EFIE doesn't work with my air fuel sensor.

If you're interested in e85 you should be checking out the forum at [url= http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php]e85vehicles.com[/url].

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-30-2008 10:25 AM
colchiro Offline

E85 in the Midwest is a minimum of 50 cents higher and climbing. Maybe ethanol producers aren't as corrupt as lawyers and oil companies. Mad

The places I fill are at 60 and 75 cents cheaper, which makes it cost effective. My main reason is it helps us get independent of foreign oil, burns cleaner, engine and oil stays cleaner and it helps us get independent of foreign oil. Hmm

Yup, South Caroline isn't the place to buy E85. Compare that to Colorado or Michigan.

The sensors were modded in anticipation of hho, but I wanted to see how it affected E85 as well.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
05-30-2008 11:29 AM
colchiro Offline

Wow, E85 just dropped another 20 cents... 80 cents cheaper now... $2.99. Cool

Rick

05-30-2008 10:11 PM
firefly Offline

ok, I was just wondering if anyone was running both e85 and a hho unit since in some locations e85 was cheaper. I was wondering how to get the most mpg and pay less for gas at the same time by possibly using e85 instead of regular gas. I was just looking at those conversion kits that connect between your injectors and your car's computer in order to do the e85 like FlexTek or Flex Fuel conversion kits. I was curious as to how this combination of HHO and e85 would affect your mpg, and was wondered if anyone was doing both and what their mpg numbers were.

I just installed a Hydro Super 2 the other day and will start to monitor my mpg to see how that goes.

Thanks for the input.
05-31-2008 08:03 PM
colchiro Offline

Sorry, can't help you more. My hho unit is on the bench in pieces, needing a new case and my new PWM kit is half assembled and I'm wondering if I have the right parts. Guess I should get the hho going since the PWM won't do anything by itself. Hmm

Rick

05-31-2008 09:43 PM