Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO bubbling fails
chris0147 Offline

HHO bubbling fails
Hi guys,

I am new on the forum. As I would like you to advice me how to make the bubblers in the water. There are no bubblers in the water, I have got 12v battery which it has got a lot of power in it. I uses the scraps instead of used the ring terminals, which it had fails to produce the electrical in the parallel circuits. So I uses the scraps right now which I can now see the electrical get through it, but there are still no bubblers...

I'd find it strange why it fails. There should have been bubblers in the water after I made the electrical get through in the circuits.

Anyone advice me how to get it right and I also needs some safety tips while I will be working on it...

Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-20-2010 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jbalat Offline

RE: HHO bubbling fails
give us a side view of the photo ?

Ok HHO 101...
Only the outer plates are connected to the battery neg and positive.. All the inner plates need to be insulated from each other and the outer plates. Use a multimeter Ohms setting to check that there is no continuity from any of the plates to all the others

Then you need to use a teaspoon of pure naoh (Sodium hydroxide) or koh (Potassium hydroxide) (or a combination of these) mixed in distilled water (not tap water).. The amount will vary how many amps are used. Make sure you dont go past 20 amps... Use a fuse just in case...
07-20-2010 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chris0147 Offline

(07-20-2010 03:49 PM)jbalat Wrote:  give us a side view of the photo ?

Ok HHO 101...
Only the outer plates are connected to the battery neg and positive.. All the inner plates need to be insulated from each other and the outer plates. Use a multimeter Ohms setting to check that there is no continuity from any of the plates to all the others

Then you need to use a teaspoon of pure naoh (Sodium hydroxide) or koh (Potassium hydroxide) (or a combination of these) mixed in distilled water (not tap water).. The amount will vary how many amps are used. Make sure you dont go past 20 amps... Use a fuse just in case...

Ok here it is you can see on below.

You may suspected that if I should change the bolts. I used the multimeter and I found that there was 12.73v in between two plates, so I guess that there was too much voltage in it??

If so, how can I stop too much voltage current in the circuits? I used the ring terminals on the top of scraps, which it allowed no more than 15amps. I'd find it strange as there was more voltage in the circuits to causes heats in both scraps....

07-21-2010 01:43 PM
jbalat Offline

Sorry I cant understand what you are saying..

You can add one or two more plates to reduce the voltage drop across each cell but it is important that the bolts do not touch any of the plates. That is why the Smack cell uses a bolt made from Nylon.
Once all plates are insulated properly from each other then the only way to reduce current is to have less NaOH, KOH or baking soda mixed in with the distilled water.
07-21-2010 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chris0147 Offline

(07-21-2010 03:49 PM)jbalat Wrote:  Sorry I cant understand what you are saying..

You can add one or two more plates to reduce the voltage drop across each cell but it is important that the bolts do not touch any of the plates. That is why the Smack cell uses a bolt made from Nylon.
Once all plates are insulated properly from each other then the only way to reduce current is to have less NaOH, KOH or baking soda mixed in with the distilled water.

I SAID that I used to measure the voltage in the circuits by put pointed the multimeter wire on neutral plate and then positive. I found that there was too much voltage in it as it was 12.73v, so I guess that there was too much voltage in it??

Added another plates WON'T HELP! SOMETHING GOT TO DO WITH THE THE WIRE OR RING TERMINALS THAT ALLOWED TOO MUCH VOLTAGE GET IN THE CIRCUITS.......I used the ring terminals on the top of scraps, which it allowed no more than 15amps but it allowed over 12v in it which I believes that there would be over 30amps in the current flow. How can I stop that? like changes ring terminals or something....
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2010 04:37 PM by chris0147.)
07-21-2010 04:29 PM
chris0147 Offline

please can you help???????????
07-22-2010 11:19 AM
spinlocker Offline

I'll take a stab. From your pics, it appears you are using stainless steel bolts to hold the array of plates together. Therefore, I would assume the risk of neutral plate contact with said bolts. Because you said you get 12v off 'neutrals', I'd conclude, the bolts are touching the neutral plates.

Change the bolts to nylon bolts.

I know it most frustrating to come into this forum among so many that take the beginning level folk for granted, when in fact, they are the most precious experimenters out there, with fresh ideas.

To summarize, the array in the pics appears structurally right. You have separated each plate with a nylon washer as is good for that design. Each plate should be electronically and physically isolated from any electrical contact with exception of the end plates, one positive and one negative. Nylon bolts should be used to hold the array together.
07-22-2010 01:44 PM
chris0147 Offline

(07-22-2010 01:44 PM)spinlocker Wrote:  I'll take a stab. From your pics, it appears you are using stainless steel bolts to hold the array of plates together. Therefore, I would assume the risk of neutral plate contact with said bolts. Because you said you get 12v off 'neutrals', I'd conclude, the bolts are touching the neutral plates.

I know it most frustrating to come into this forum among so many that take the beginning level folk for granted, when in fact, they are the most precious experimenters out there, with fresh ideas.

To summarize, the array in the pics appears structurally right. You have separated each plate with a nylon washer as is good for that design. Each plate should be electronically and physically isolated from any electrical contact with exception of the end plates, one positive and one negative. Nylon bolts should be used to hold the array together.

Thanks for the info, I'd understand what to do right now. As I have got the nylon bolts and willing to try it out, but I would like to ask few questions before I am going to try it out....

Q1: I just curious that if the nylon bolts would melts if the plates get too hot??

Q2: I am bit concerns about the short circuits, so is it safe to use the nylon bolts on the cell while it don't make the battery fuse to heat up and don't causes them to blow up when the electrical make the bubblers in the water??

Q3: Will the electrical returns to the battery when I input the cell in the water while I uses nylon bolts and if there will be bubblers??

Q4: I have measured the plates by negative and positive, so I found that there was 12.73v in the circuits which it was too hot. I believes that there could be over 20amps in the circuits, so do you know how to reduce the voltage??

I hope that you will give me the answers before I will be able to try it out.

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2010 04:17 PM by chris0147.)
07-22-2010 04:07 PM
bsmart Offline

(07-22-2010 04:07 PM)chris0147 Wrote:  
(07-22-2010 01:44 PM)spinlocker Wrote:  I'll take a stab. From your pics, it appears you are using stainless steel bolts to hold the array of plates together. Therefore, I would assume the risk of neutral plate contact with said bolts. Because you said you get 12v off 'neutrals', I'd conclude, the bolts are touching the neutral plates.

Thanks for the info, I'd understand what to do right now. As I have got the nylon bolts and willing to try it out, but I would like to ask few questions before I am going to try it out....

Q1: I just curious that if the nylon bolts would melts if the plates get too hot?? NO.... not likely.

Q2: I am bit concerns about the short circuits, so is it safe to use the nylon bolts on the cell while it don't make the battery fuse to heat up and don't causes them to blow up when the electrical make the bubblers in the water?? The nylon bolts will NOT cause a problem, it should correct your problem

Q3: Will the electrical returns to the battery when I input the cell in the water while I uses nylon bolts and if there will be bubblers?? YES, the electrical current will return to the battery after it passes thru the plate array. The water in the cell, when properly treated with electrolytes, will allow the current to pass from positive strap, from plate to plate back to negative strap and back to battery. When you get current flow, you will get bubbles.

Q4: I have measured the plates by negative and positive, so I found that there was 12.73v in the circuits which it was too hot. I believes that there could be over 20amps in the circuits, so do you know how to reduce the voltage?? You do NOT want to reduce the voltage. You want to control the amount of current flow thru the cell array. This is done by diluting the electrolyte/water solution. You should measure 12.73 VDC from one strap to the other strap. (the 2 outside plates in your pictures) That voltage should be equally divided across the plates as the current flows thru the cell. Measure voltage from the negative strap to the first plate, then to the second plate, and so on to see that the voltage is dividing as described.

Give this a try and report your results. Good LUCK !!!!

Thanks in advance!
07-26-2010 09:51 AM
chris0147 Offline

(07-26-2010 09:51 AM)bsmart Wrote:  
(07-22-2010 04:07 PM)chris0147 Wrote:  

Q1: I just curious that if the nylon bolts would melts if the plates get too hot?? NO.... not likely.

Q2: I am bit concerns about the short circuits, so is it safe to use the nylon bolts on the cell while it don't make the battery fuse to heat up and don't causes them to blow up when the electrical make the bubblers in the water?? The nylon bolts will NOT cause a problem, it should correct your problem

Q3: Will the electrical returns to the battery when I input the cell in the water while I uses nylon bolts and if there will be bubblers?? YES, the electrical current will return to the battery after it passes thru the plate array. The water in the cell, when properly treated with electrolytes, will allow the current to pass from positive strap, from plate to plate back to negative strap and back to battery. When you get current flow, you will get bubbles.

Q4: I have measured the plates by negative and positive, so I found that there was 12.73v in the circuits which it was too hot. I believes that there could be over 20amps in the circuits, so do you know how to reduce the voltage?? You do NOT want to reduce the voltage. You want to control the amount of current flow thru the cell array. This is done by diluting the electrolyte/water solution. You should measure 12.73 VDC from one strap to the other strap. (the 2 outside plates in your pictures) That voltage should be equally divided across the plates as the current flows thru the cell. Measure voltage from the negative strap to the first plate, then to the second plate, and so on to see that the voltage is dividing as described.

Give this a try and report your results. Good LUCK !!!!

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

Thanks for the answers. I have changed the bolts to nylon bolts. I carried out the test, but there is no bubblers.

I have measured the battery voltage to find out why it fails, the battery has got plenty of voltage so the problem is not come from the battery, I have corrected the wires and terminals to tighten them, but there are still no bubblers.

Do you know in what situation that I could correct the problem??

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 02:40 PM by chris0147.)
07-28-2010 02:37 PM