Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO cell not working?
Xeph Offline

HHO cell not working?
I recently built a 13 plate 6"x6" dry cell and when I hook it up to a car battery it does absolutely nothing. I'm using straight distilled water right now with no electrolyte. I'm using 316L stainless plates with a 1/16" gap between them. Any ideas?
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012 09:21 AM by Xeph.)
06-24-2012 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: HHO cell not working?
You'll need electrolyte, first of all. KOH and NaOH are the 2 preferred chemicals to add to your distilled water (one of the other, not both). I use KOH (potassium hydroxide).

Then if you have battery connections at the outside plates, with 11 neutral plates, then it won't work unless you use 24 volts. For 12 volts, you must use 5 neutral plates, maximum. This creates 6 gaps. When you divide 12 volts by 6 gaps, then you get 2 volts per gap. That's about what you want.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-24-2012 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xeph Offline

I know electrolyte helps but I thought you were supposed to get somewhat of a result without it? I was planning on ordering some KOH and a PWM once I made sure it was going to work.

I do have 5 neutrals. Two sets of them. 3 powered plates total with 5 neutral plates between each.
06-24-2012 09:25 PM
mike Offline

Ok, you're all set. But with that config, you'll need electrolyte. You should only use steam distilled water. Tap water will leave deposits on your plates that will eventually cut down production to near nothing.

Electrolyte concentration should be about 1/4 cup KOH flakes per gallon of water. That's to start with. You'll get gas production. If you need more amperage, add some more flakes.

Once you get your PWM, you can increase to 1/2 cup of KOH per gallon. The PWM will maintain the correct current. I'm assuming you're getting a constant current PWM. See this article if you're unsure: http://www.dry-cells.com/what-is-a-pwm

Visit Our Documents Page
06-27-2012 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xeph Offline

Thanks so much. I put in my KOH order just now. Hopefully this will get everything working properly.
06-28-2012 12:54 AM
mike Offline

No problem. Please let us know how it goes. (we usually only hear about the problems). Smile

Visit Our Documents Page
06-29-2012 08:23 AM