Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO outputing voltage after power down
spinlocker Offline

HHO outputing voltage after power down
After building my HHO 6 cell series unit (see my post over in the Results! section for build details), I have a question for you good folks here.

Is it normal to have the HHO unit emit voltage after power is turned off to it? Is that behavior an indication of something not quite right, like excessive resistance or inductance of some type? I have an LED across the HHO unit power leads, to show me power is to the unit. When I disconnect, the LED will stay lit for approximately 30 seconds and slowly dim out. My digital volt meter shows 3.05volts immediately after cutting the power. Yes, I physically disconnect the wires, still get the same behavior. Solution is filtered water with KOH at maximum saturation (ie, I can't dissolve any more KOH into it).
06-10-2010 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thomasbala Offline

RE: HHO outputing voltage after power down
(06-10-2010 09:15 AM)spinlocker Wrote:  After building my HHO 6 cell series unit (see my post over in the Results! section for build details), I have a question for you good folks here.

Is it normal to have the HHO unit emit voltage after power is turned off to it? Is that behavior an indication of something not quite right, like excessive resistance or inductance of some type? I have an LED across the HHO unit power leads, to show me power is to the unit. When I disconnect, the LED will stay lit for approximately 30 seconds and slowly dim out. My digital volt meter shows 3.05volts immediately after cutting the power. Yes, I physically disconnect the wires, still get the same behavior. Solution is filtered water with KOH at maximum saturation (ie, I can't dissolve any more KOH into it).
your HHO cell is actually a capacitor storing an electrical charge. Think about how a capacitor is made; very similar to an HHO cell: charged plate; insulated plate; charged plate, etc. That's why your LED stays lit for a few seconds.
06-10-2010 01:17 PM
staugur Offline

RE: HHO outputing voltage after power down
(06-10-2010 09:15 AM)spinlocker Wrote:  After building my HHO 6 cell series unit (see my post over in the Results! section for build details), I have a question for you good folks here.

Try building a 60 plate cell and see what happens! There's enough capacitance to severly shock you after five minutes.
06-11-2010 07:00 AM