Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO test - 4Runner W/O EFIE
cadeco Offline

HHO test - 4Runner W/O EFIE
I just order EFIE from Mike, not coming yet, so I try HHO Generator and test my 4-runner.
Several months, I record mileage when fill gas, with my Toyota 4-runner 1998 normal run at 18.5milles/ Galond
I test a HHO (bought the whole kits over ebay)- installed and test the first tanks with normal city drive, millage go up about 20 miles/G
Not so bad.
This is my observed:
- Temperature under hood increase about 15 degree
- Plastic tubing too soft for high temp.
- The HHO jar too hot, when I start cool, AMP reading about 10 A, after 30 minutes ride Amp go up 25 A.
- The Oxygen reading with digital meter ran from 40 mV to 600mV, when cool start, O2 reading 40 - 150 mV for several minutes, after that it vary from 250 mV to 680 mV <--- I think that normal.

Wait until install EFIE and will test again

Newbie!
05-21-2008 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: HHO test - 4Runner W/O EFIE
Yes, the o2 sensor readings you report are normal sounding readings.

I'm sorry for the delay on your EFIE. I had so many orders recently that I got behind by 5 or 6 days. I usually ship in 24 hours.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
05-21-2008 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cadeco Offline

My EFIE coming and I installed without a problem, after test several times here my problem:
I set the EFIE start at 300mV, trip alarm because total O2 voltage go to computer go over 1000mV, drop down 250mV still trip alarm, drop to 200mV, sometimes trip alarm.
I leave the EFIE at 200mV, and sometime during last 3 day, I am reset alarm 3 times to continue monitor HHO and EFIE test.
Did my O2 sensor bad? It is normal that O2 made over 8-900mV and add 200mV from EFIE to trip alarm? One time the code read: O2 react slowly! Do I need to change my O2 sensor?
Any one ever build a Voltage Limited (clamp) at 990mV to cap off signal from sensor?
05-26-2008 05:10 AM
mike Offline

Yes, there is something wrong with the sensor, or, perhaps it's not a narrow band sensor. Turn the EFIE off, and with the engine running, measure the voltage between the black EFIE port and ground. You should see a constantly changing voltage between .3 and .7 volts or so. These would be the readings on a normal sensor. Please tell me what you get here for voltages.

Visit Our Documents Page
05-26-2008 07:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cadeco Offline

Yes, When I turn off power to EFIE, and park the car, the signal vary from 310mV - 710mV
But when I turn On the EFIE vary up to 960mV (When ride on the street - it vary up to 1000mV) Look like when the car running, the sensor send higher mV then park.
05-26-2008 01:09 PM
mike Offline

It's actually very hard to tell what the sensor is sending by using a multimeter. The problem is that the signal changes so fast, the meter can only be used to get some kind of a rough idea of what the sensor is doing.

When you say the signal varies up to 960 mv with the EFIE on, where are you measuring the signal? Are you measuring the signal to ground? Are you measuring it upstream or downstream from the EFIE? In other words is the EFIE's voltage being added in to that voltage?

I'm suspicious of a band oxygen sensor, but don't have enough data yet to be conclusive. How old is that sensor? How many miles does it have on it?

Visit Our Documents Page
05-26-2008 03:20 PM
cadeco Offline

Mike, here what I understood,
When I check voltage, I talking about AFTER EFIE ADD 200mV.
But I also verify that, when I start and parked the car, the O2 sensor send out very steady from ~280mV to ~700mV, and after running, signal from O2 + EFIE vary from 240mV to 980mV, mean the O2 sensor read low at ~30mV~40mV (240mV - 200mV) and high at ~780mV (980mV - 200mV)
So when car running, O2 sensor very from ~40mv -> 780mV.

I take the EFIE out and using a voltage transmitter to send 0mV -200mV - 400mV - 600mV and 700mV to INPUT and check the voltage output with another meter (digital multimetter) then I got: 220mV - 410mV - 618mV - and 907mV
I guess the EFIE working as 200mV add to input signal.

When my 4Runner normal running, EFIE change from ~220mV - 880mV- But when I change position from moving and parking after 30 minutes drive, the EFIE jump up 860mV - 980mV & sometime reach 1000mV, after about 30-60 second, voltage drop down to normal below 740-760mV.

My car are 10 years old (1998), I do not think Toyota have wide-band O2.

Well I will drive and test few more day and will post result here.
Thanks.
05-26-2008 04:32 PM
mike Offline

That all sounds fine, except the following:

Quote:When my 4Runner normal running, EFIE change from ~220mV - 880mV- But when I change position from moving and parking after 30 minutes drive, the EFIE jump up 860mV - 980mV & sometime reach 1000mV, after about 30-60 second, voltage drop down to normal below 740-760mV.

I don't understand completely what's happening here. It sounds like these measurements are all from signal wire to ground, after the EFIE has added voltage. These voltages can all be fine. A normal, healthy oxygen sensor will put out about .1 volt to 1.0 or even 1.1 volts. We usually don't see those extremes with a multimeter, but you would see them if you were using an oscilloscope that can keep up with the signal changes.

However, I'm just not completely clear on what you're reporting. Are you saying the EFIE voltage is going high? By EFIE voltage, I mean the voltage that the EFIE is adding, not EFIE plus sensor signal. The EFIE voltage should not be changing more than one or two percent. It doesn't matter if the engine is running hard, or idling, or whatever. Please clarify for me the paragraph I'm quoting. Are you reporting that the EFIE is changing, or the EFIE plus sensor voltage is changing?

Visit Our Documents Page
05-26-2008 05:01 PM
cadeco Offline

No! the EFIE voltage are okay, I talking about voltage O2 + EFIE (total voltage) - Well, if sometime O2 sensor put out 1000mV then my condition is normal. When parking, my O2 send out 300-700mV (before EFIE), but when driving, my 02 send out from 100mV and sometime put out over 900mV (plug 200mV of EFIE = total voltage ~ 1.1V).
Your EFIE voltage Okay.
I will drive test with my multimetter connect and check in few day, I will get a report in few day.
Mike, do you know in normal computer, how high and how long car computer trip Alarm of "Check Machine Light" ? When it read voltage over 1.0V for how long? Because, if my O2 send out 900mV + 200mV of EFIE then they trip alarm everytimes?
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2008 04:21 AM by cadeco.)
05-27-2008 04:20 AM
HerronPerformance Offline

The O2 is always moving from .3xx (or lower) to .999 (max) when in Closed Loop, this is b/c the computer is taking the readings and always adjusting the fuel delivery based on different conditions (MAP, MAF, TPS, MPH, etc input) and normally a computer is set up with like 16 'cells' that represent an RPM and MAP, and thru the Long term fuel trims it knows when it hits 'that cell' it should have this much fuel and then using the short term fuel trims it adjust the amount of fuel it delivers till it gets to the 14.7:1 ratio, that is it's goal to reach the 14.7:1 AFR.
It's sort of like you driving down a straight road, your intention is to to straight (long term fuel trims) but along the way you will have to move the wheel back and forth to keep it straight (short term fuel trims) and the end result is you went 'straight' down the road (14.7:1 AFR).

SO, I believe what you are seeing it fluctuating is good, that is what it is supposed to do. if the O2 is not fluctuating fast or at all this means either you are in Open Loop or the O2 is bad....
Also in this scenario, the time it takes for it to throw a code probably varies, b/c in reality the O2 should not be stuck at the high value, if stuck there is some issue that needs to be addressed.

Man, there is so much to the fueling it is tough to put it all in one post....b/c sometimes it becomes a viscous cycle.....

http://www.herronperformance.com
05-27-2008 04:48 AM