Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HHO wet cell in winter
bb002h Offline

HHO wet cell in winter
Hi all,
Looking for results you have used to prevent wet cells from freezing in winter weather. I've seen many posts in the forums, but no good hard answers. (Isopropyl prevents freezing but reduces output & creates vapors, stronger NaOH solution also prevents freezing but draws too many amps, some people have proposed propolyne glycol but I have not read results, etc) A few quick notes:
Can't use plug-in heaters. I often work 24 or 48 hr shifts with the car parked outside, not at home, with no option to plug in. I'm in upstate NY. Similar temps to Chicago.
Please only post what has worked for you, not what you heard works or what you think what might work. (There's enough of those posts already)
Yes, I'm moving toward a dry cell, but for now am using the original wet cell I built last year.
Car is 2007 Honda Fit, Wide Band EFIE on upstream sensor and Analog Narrow Band EFIE on downstream sensor.
PLEASE don't tell me baking soda prevents freezing. If you believe that then there's other threads for you to corrupt.
I'm starting to believe that there is no real good solution (pun acknowledged) to maintain proper output and electrolysis but prevent freezing without external heat applications. Anyone care to prove me wrong?
Also, please don't bring up windshield washer fluid. All the different kinds and colors have differing amounts of different additives, and there is no way to maintain a control and get even results. If you want to use isopropyl, just use isopropyl. Don't use washer fluid.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2010 11:15 AM by bb002h.)
02-11-2010 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
burnsey111 Offline

RE: HHO wet cell in winter
Don't use baking soda, or polyprolyne alcohol, etc. That's a good way to ruin your cell. You need to use the right electrolyte, and then use a PWM to control the amperage. As the water and the cell warms up, it will begin to pull more amperage because the resistance changes. The proper way to control the reaction is by controlling the current across the plates.

Here is the best cold weather salt I've found. Increases my gas output, and guaranteed down to -40.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-BELOW-ZERO-MA...02&vxp=mtr

I'm using it now in Michigan, and no problem freezing.

You can find adjustable PWM through most HHO dealers. Make sure you also have a Amperage gauge installed in the circuit, so you can make adjustments to the PWM.
01-06-2013 03:50 PM
Claude Hubert Offline

(01-06-2013 03:50 PM)burnsey111 Wrote:  Don't use baking soda, or polyprolyne alcohol, etc. That's a good way to ruin your cell. You need to use the right electrolyte, and then use a PWM to control the amperage. As the water and the cell warms up, it will begin to pull more amperage because the resistance changes. The proper way to control the reaction is by controlling the current across the plates.

Here is the best cold weather salt I've found. Increases my gas output, and guaranteed down to -40.

You can find adjustable PWM through most HHO dealers. Make sure you also have a Amperage gauge installed in the circuit, so you can make adjustments to the PWM.

Hi can you give out the full detail on this salt, name, price, store, because the link isn't in use any more on Ebay. Do you have any data that you analyzed that would be useful ?

Thanks in advance
11-04-2013 04:19 PM
mybrid Offline

(11-04-2013 04:19 PM)Claude Hubert Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 03:50 PM)burnsey111 Wrote:  Don't use baking soda, or polyprolyne alcohol, etc. That's a good way to ruin your cell. You need to use the right electrolyte, and then use a PWM to control the amperage. As the water and the cell warms up, it will begin to pull more amperage because the resistance changes. The proper way to control the reaction is by controlling the current across the plates.

Hi can you give out the full detail on this salt, name, price, store, because the link isn't in use any more on Ebay. Do you have any data that you analyzed that would be useful ?

Thanks in advance

ShyI use sodium hydroxide in a strong solution (seems the seller of the system when he set me up put more than a cup full into the container which looks like 3 to 4 ltr) controlled by PWM.
Admittedly our winters on the west coast (British Columbia) are never very cold.
cheers
Gus
11-05-2013 01:53 PM
Claude Hubert Offline

Hi I travel north a lot and a -45 C is often seen where I go. From what you've seen does a cup full of this solution sodium hydroxide controlled a PWM do the work? did this solution work great for you? what is the coldest temp in your area?

I have a PMW and give feedback with this mixture and -45 C temperature.

Thanks in advance
11-05-2013 05:54 PM
mybrid Offline

Rolleyes RE: HHO wet cell in winter
(11-05-2013 05:54 PM)Claude Hubert Wrote:  Hi I travel north a lot and a -45 C is often seen where I go. From what you've seen does a cup full of this solution sodium hydroxide controlled a PWM do the work? did this solution work great for you? what is the coldest temp in your area?

Thanks in advance

First I want to say that I operate a dry cell set up..........appx 5ltr water container with about between 3 and 4 ltrs fluid. I run that with
2 1/2 cups of sodium hydroxide (Lye) that is good for about -15c. It rarely goes below minus 10c here.
I discussed with the builder of my system and his suggestion is to add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of methyl hydrate. he suggests to experiment to find the right balance........Hope that helps
Gus
11-07-2013 05:40 PM
Claude Hubert Offline

Thanks for the information! I experiment on this and send you a feedback!

(11-07-2013 05:40 PM)mybrid Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 05:54 PM)Claude Hubert Wrote:  Hi I travel north a lot and a -45 C is often seen where I go. From what you've seen does a cup full of this solution sodium hydroxide controlled a PWM do the work? did this solution work great for you? what is the coldest temp in your area?

Thanks in advance

First I want to say that I operate a dry cell set up..........appx 5ltr water container with about between 3 and 4 ltrs fluid. I run that with
2 1/2 cups of sodium hydroxide (Lye) that is good for about -15c. It rarely goes below minus 10c here.
I discussed with the builder of my system and his suggestion is to add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of methyl hydrate. he suggests to experiment to find the right balance........Hope that helps
Gus
11-08-2013 09:14 AM
thudpucker Offline

There are heat pad's called : "Battery Blankets" in cold winter climates.
Google it.
06-24-2014 08:02 PM