Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HOW TO TEST 316L STAINLESS STEEL
hygear Offline

HOW TO TEST 316L STAINLESS STEEL
With the many vendors selling hho generators popping up these days and with the costs of their units dropping due to increased competition.I'm wondering just how many may be using a lower grade of stainless steel instead of their claims of the use of 316L stainless,this would also have to include companys that sell just plates.I know what I had to pay for mine I got from a local sheet metal company when I was constructing my cell.

When purchasing a generator from a sellers site how do you know for sure you're getting what you paid for?Is there some way to test that can be easily done to insure that the products seller used 316L in construction as they've claimed.The old bait and switch routine in my opinion can easily be pulled off unless we can come with an easy and accurate way of testing it to be authentic.

If anyone has knowledge,insight or idea on how we can insure what we purchase is in fact what we receive please post it.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4 5.7 hemi
11-05-2008 06:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benny Offline

RE: HOW TO TEST 316L STAINLESS STEEL
hygear Wrote:With the many vendors selling hho generators popping up these days and with the costs of their units dropping due to increased competition.I'm wondering just how many may be using a lower grade of stainless steel instead of their claims of the use of 316L stainless,this would also have to include companys that sell just plates.I know what I had to pay for mine I got from a local sheet metal company when I was constructing my cell.

When purchasing a generator from a sellers site how do you know for sure you're getting what you paid for?Is there some way to test that can be easily done to insure that the products seller used 316L in construction as they've claimed.The old bait and switch routine in my opinion can easily be pulled off unless we can come with an easy and accurate way of testing it to be authentic.

If anyone has knowledge,insight or idea on how we can insure what we purchase is in fact what we receive please post it.

316L SS tends to be non-magnetic. Other types, such as 304, may not be. Other than that it is shiny Big Grin. Hope this helps.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2008 07:04 AM by benny.)
11-05-2008 07:03 AM
hydrotinkerer Offline

Some ss is magnetic and some is not. If you look on:
http://www.falcon-metals.com/stainlessan...-steel.htm

It tells alot of ss properties. I personally don't know how to tell the difference. But if there is a way I would like to know myself.
11-05-2008 07:27 AM
hygear Offline

benny Wrote:
hygear Wrote:.

316L SS tends to be non-magnetic. Other types, such as 304, may not be. Other than that it is shiny Big Grin. Hope this helps.

I remember when I called to inquire about the 316L the guy asking what kind of finish I wanted gloss or dull and I got the dull because they had to be sanded anyway.I think I've got a piece of 302/304 laying out in the shop and if I can find it and a magnet I try it and let you know what I find.

Thanks Benny

11-05-2008 07:28 AM
hygear Offline

Found this after looking at the link Hydrotinkerer posted:

Stainless Steel - Magnetic Properties
Topics Covered
Background

Austenitic Grades

Stress Relieving

Cold Working

Magnetically Soft Stainless Steels

Background
Magnetic permeability is the ability of a material to carry magnetism, indicated by the degree to which it is attracted to a magnet. All stainless steels, with the exception of the austenitic group, are strongly attracted to a magnet.

Austenitic Grades
All austenitic grades have very low magnetic permeabilities and hence show almost no response to a magnet when in the annealed condition; the situation is, however, far less clear when these steels have been cold worked by wire drawing, rolling or even centreless grinding, shot blasting or heavy polishing. After substantial cold working Grade 304 may exhibit quite strong response to a magnet, whereas Grades 310 and 316 will in most instances still be almost totally non-responsive.

The change in magnetic response is due to atomic lattice straining and formation of martensite. In general, the higher the nickel to chromium ratio the more stable is the austenitic structure and the less magnetic response that will be induced by cold work. Magnetic response can therefore be used as a method for sorting grades of stainless steel, but considerable caution needs to be exercised.

11-05-2008 07:39 AM
Wilsid Offline

I bought a piece 6" x 24" and it had 316L on it.
11-05-2008 07:45 AM
hygear Offline

Wilsid Wrote:I bought a piece 6" x 24" and it had 316L on it.

That 's how I knew what I bought was 316L because 2 of the 8 plates I bought had the ID stamp on them.

Ok while I've got this post still open let me report what I found using a magnet.

I had the remains of one of my first generators which was the smacks design and tried the magnet on the switch plate covers and they weren't magnetic.The stainless tongs I used for the electrical straps however were just as magnetic as steel.I then tried it on the electrical tabs on my dry cell(which in fact are 316L)and they weren't magnetic nor was some 316L shim stock I had left over from a hotsabi design.Also tried any ss hardware I had laying around and it too wasn't magnetic(I not sure what grade most hardware is supposed to be).

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2008 08:22 AM by hygear.)
11-05-2008 08:22 AM
hygear Offline

Ok just got this link from RealtyRoy over at hhoscambusters about chemical testing for sorting grades of stainless steel.

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=1234

11-05-2008 09:12 AM
HALS-GUNSMITHING Offline

300 series is usualy non magnetic and 400 series is magnetic.
11-05-2008 03:20 PM
hygear Offline

HALS-GUNSMITHING Wrote:300 series is usualy non magnetic and 400 series is magnetic.

So then like 316L,302,304 series are non-magnetic? Which are restaurant grade Stainless.So this being said we still don't know how to make sure that we're getting 316L right?Magnetically speaking.

11-05-2008 03:47 PM