Poll: Can tricking the car's computer lead to potential engine problems down the road?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harming the Engine
beni2200 Offline

Harming the Engine
I don't argue with the fact that tricking the car's computer by changing the sensor imputs and outputs will result in better fuel echonomy. But, is that damaging the engine in the long run to save a few bucks at the pump. By messing with the sensors, we cause the engine to run a lean mixture. A lean mixture creates a hotter burn which can lead to things like high cylinder temperatures, pre-ignition and detonation in exreme cases. what I'm getting at is while a lean mixture is good for the pocketbook in the short term, are we creating cumulative engine damage in the process? Any thoughts?

If it were healthy to run so lean, don't you think the car would have been manufactured that way? Thanks for any imput you may have!
06-01-2008 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmac0351 Offline

RE: Harming the Engine
As I understand it, we aren't trying to lean the fuel. The sensors add too much fuel because of the HHO making it too rich, so we are tricking them back to 14.7:1 or close to it. Correct me if I am wrong.

beni2200 Wrote:I don't argue with the fact that tricking the car's computer by changing the sensor imputs and outputs will result in better fuel echonomy. But, is that damaging the engine in the long run to save a few bucks at the pump. By messing with the sensors, we cause the engine to run a lean mixture. A lean mixture creates a hotter burn which can lead to things like high cylinder temperatures, pre-ignition and detonation in exreme cases. what I'm getting at is while a lean mixture is good for the pocketbook in the short term, are we creating cumulative engine damage in the process? Any thoughts?

If it were healthy to run so lean, don't you think the car would have been manufactured that way? Thanks for any imput you may have!
06-01-2008 11:10 PM
Atfab Offline

beni2200 Wrote:I don't argue with the fact that tricking the car's computer by changing the sensor imputs and outputs will result in better fuel echonomy. But, is that damaging the engine in the long run to save a few bucks at the pump. By messing with the sensors, we cause the engine to run a lean mixture. A lean mixture creates a hotter burn which can lead to things like high cylinder temperatures, pre-ignition and detonation in exreme cases. what I'm getting at is while a lean mixture is good for the pocketbook in the short term, are we creating cumulative engine damage in the process? Any thoughts?

[/quote]

They can make a car that won't rust out for 20 years and go 600K miles too, Have you seen it yet? Don't hold your breath.

The point is to stay within the computer's built in defenses, untill someone comes up with a better computer system and can live long enough to market it.

atfab

Atfab
99 S-10 Pickup 2.2L auto, Std cab, Short bed, Alum cap
Stock, Ave. 25.5 MPH
06-02-2008 04:56 AM
rpatzer Offline

You are correct about the lean-burn in a non-lean-burn car. It won't harm the engine, but it will contribute to more pollution due to the extra O2 combining with N to form more No2, Nitrogen Dioxide.
Toyotas Insight lean burn car installed a second cat just to handle the extra No2.
W/O that extra cat, the lean burn will put extra work on the regular cat to keep clean. It probably depends upon just how lean one can make it. They came up with a compromise of 14.7:1 ratio to best reduce emissions and fuel mileage was secondary. That ratio can be tweeked, but it is emissions v mileage.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2008 06:02 AM by rpatzer.)
06-02-2008 05:57 AM
tooler1988 Offline

rpatzer Wrote:You are correct about the lean-burn in a non-lean-burn car. It won't harm the engine, but it will contribute to more pollution due to the extra O2 combining with N to form more No2, Nitrogen Dioxide.
Toyotas Insight lean burn car installed a second cat just to handle the extra No2.
W/O that extra cat, the lean burn will put extra work on the regular cat to keep clean. It probably depends upon just how lean one can make it. They came up with a compromise of 14.7:1 ratio to best reduce emissions and fuel mileage was secondary. That ratio can be tweeked, but it is emissions v mileage.

I have the Honda insite. 2001, 198,000 miles. 61.5 mpg average. I am looking to add HHO. Car has (1) a/f sensor, (1) O2 sensor before second cat. (1) O2 after second cat. Any suggestions on how to control HHO system?

Thanks
Tooler
06-29-2008 11:25 AM