Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has anyone done HHO on a GEO METRO???
Handy Offline

Rolleyes Has anyone done HHO on a GEO METRO???
Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done HHO on a GEO METRO? I have just finished mine and I'm still trying to get it tuned in. Some say to much HHO is bad and I'm putting out 1/4 liter per minute for a little 1.0 liter 3 cyl. motor. Also some say to retard the timing a little as HHO burns quicker. Any comments would be great.

I have a 1990 Geo Metro XFI with a new rebuilt motor and new 0/2. It has a 1.0 liter motor with one single wire upstream 0/2. It is Fuel injected Throttle body. The EFIE is attach├ęd right next to the 0/2 and finding the wire was a snap as I rebuilt the motor and replaced the 0/2 myself. All Gaskets are new in the exhaust. All grounds on chassis are ground down and cleaned. I have installed the Basic EFIE as per instructions with solder and shrink wrap. The EFIE is in a new outdoor Electric Box with cover in the engine compartment close to the 0/2 line insulated and attached with velcro inside the box. I have a home built HHO Generator that puts out 1/4 liter per minute doing a water bottle displacement test. I have done a poor mans quality test and the stuff burns nice (Pops very Loud) ! It's using KOH for an electrolight and pulling about 10 to 15 amp depending on temp. All wire is Stranded 10 gauge with relay and fuses (except for the EFIE). All leaks have been checked with soap and water. After reading the check list page I added a small hose inside my air filter housing so that it goes directly into the throttle area. I have the EFIE now set at .250.

HandyCool
06-12-2011 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Has anyone done HHO on a GEO METRO???
Well, 1/4 liter is enough for a 1.0L engine. But you shouldn't be pulling more than about 5 amps to get a liter of HHO. 10 to 15 amps is probably too much for your electrical system, and could cause other problems. This may not be a fatal problem. But if your voltage goes down significantly (like 1 volt or more) when you run the HHO system, that is a sure sign that you're pulling too many amps off of your alternator. My first suggestion would be to cut back on the KOH and get those amps down.

But you haven't said anything about your fuel mileage. Are you getting better mileage? What problem are you trying to solve?

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-16-2011 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Handy Offline

(06-16-2011 07:51 AM)mike Wrote:  Well, 1/4 liter is enough for a 1.0L engine. But you shouldn't be pulling more than about 5 amps to get a liter of HHO. 10 to 15 amps is probably too much for your electrical system, and could cause other problems. This may not be a fatal problem. But if your voltage goes down significantly (like 1 volt or more) when you run the HHO system, that is a sure sign that you're pulling too many amps off of your alternator. My first suggestion would be to cut back on the KOH and get those amps down.

But you haven't said anything about your fuel mileage. Are you getting better mileage? What problem are you trying to solve?

It's funny but I notice that when I get up to about 12 amps (almost 1/4 liter it seems to really lose power. If I'm running it at about 9 amps it really does well. My EFIE is set at about 290 or so. Not seeing any gains yet... But I have not been able to do a good long trip. Will be doing that shortly and I let ya know.
06-16-2011 10:37 AM
mike Offline

Ok, great.

I notice that I had a mistake in my last post. I meant to say that it should take about 5 amps to make 1/4 LPM. However, I wrote that it should take 5 amps to make 1 liter/min. That was incorrect. I think you knew what I meant, but I wanted to make sure that was clear. No one is making 1 LPM with 5 amps with a conventional dry cell.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
06-16-2011 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Handy Offline

Wink RE: Has anyone done HHO on a GEO METRO???
(06-16-2011 02:33 PM)mike Wrote:  Ok, great.

I notice that I had a mistake in my last post. I meant to say that it should take about 5 amps to make 1/4 LPM. However, I wrote that it should take 5 amps to make 1 liter/min. That was incorrect. I think you knew what I meant, but I wanted to make sure that was clear. No one is making 1 LPM with 5 amps with a conventional dry cell.

I'm sure that my generator is not very efficient as it was only my second one. But at this point if I start letting it put out 1/4 per minute it seems to lose power instead of gain and it's very noticeable. So I diluted my electrolyte to keep it at about 7 to 9 amps and that's giving me about 1/3 of a liter per minute. Seems to work better. The other day I noticed that when I start to go on any long trip, the first half of the trip the car really has pep and it doesn't take much throttle for the car to stay at speed and it seems to have more power. But on the way back I started to go up a slow incline and it was doing ok but then like a switch it lost it's pep and it took more throttle to keep going. So the ECU seems to be having a problem with the high output of HHO. I have noticed this before on other trips but I had not figured out what it was at the time. Also just as an after thought, My generator does not get very hot, not even over 110 degrees even when I was using 13 to 15 amps. I have my EFIE set at .250 and that seems to keep the ECU happy. When I ran it at 1/4 liter per minute my mileage actually went down from 58 mpg to 50mpg and it smelled rich.

So I'll run it at the lower setting for awhile and see what my mileage does. Now my little Geo is the XFI and it was built to run very lean already so I'm not looking to make some super gains in mileage but it would be nice if it just gave this little motor a little more umph if you know what I mean.

HandyCool        
06-17-2011 10:34 AM
Zarko Offline

(06-16-2011 02:33 PM)mike Wrote:  Ok, great.

That means 20A for 1 LPM?Shocked Too much. Look at a little bit this croatian forum:
http://autodijagnostika.biz/forum/viewforum.php?id=33 guys with a dry cell 11plates, 12x10cm, 3mm seal, one hole 6mm up, down - one hole 3mm left on first plate, right on the second, again left on the third plate and so on get 1 LPM on 8A without any problem...no heating, no foam etc. Especially look at posts of the guy called danek. And it is true that the best results are achived with 0.5 - 0.8 LPM on engines till 2.5 liter even without any efie.
06-19-2011 09:25 PM