Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help!!! Installing EFIE
sumbich Offline

Help!!! Installing EFIE
I purchased Basic EFIE from Mike and am waiting for it in the mail, but I am wondering as to what the best way is to test the signal output from the EFIE on a Basic model as well as tweaking the board beforehand with the ignition on, engine off.

Thanks guys.
03-25-2009 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike Offline

RE: Signal Test for Basic EFIE
Hi Sumbich,

Please see http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieCircuitBoard.html

Near the bottom of the page is a section called "Test Points". That document should answer your question.

But basically you just need to read the voltage between the white and green wires to see the output of the EFIE. If you have a Dual unit, the voltage between the blue and brown wires is the output of the 2nd EFIE.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
03-25-2009 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sumbich Offline

Excellent. Thank you Mike.
03-25-2009 05:23 PM
sumbich Offline

So, after reading that, I set my multimeter to DC, black test lead probes the green wire, and red test lead probes white wire? I apologize for asking but I would like to clarify so that I don't burn out my board. I've had it happen to me a few times, multimeter was set wrong and damaged a board or two. (Not the EFIE) Just received my EFIE board today and shall be installing on Sunday, when I have time.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2009 11:19 AM by sumbich.)
03-27-2009 11:12 AM
colchiro Offline

The original efie is pretty durable and should even be able to handle a short for a few minutes.

If you're burning out boards, you probably had it set to current instead of voltage. I did that once with 800 vdc when I was a kid.

Yes black on green and red on white.

These units are tested before shipping. Wink

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-27-2009 12:37 PM
sumbich Offline

Great to know they're that durable, just in case. Thanks Colchiro. Smile
03-28-2009 12:40 AM
sumbich Offline

I am now testing for signal wire on my 02 Sensor. Is it best to set multimeter to 200m or 2000m when testing for mV? I believe I have found the signal, when I have it set to 2000m my signal is 334. The others are 12-13v (on 20v scale) and 27 on the 2000m scale. Am I correct about the signal wire here? Also, because it is reading 334 should I begin to set my EFIE at 335 range and go upward??
03-29-2009 09:04 AM
sumbich Offline

Help!!! Installing EFIE
I have probed my 02 sensor for the correct signal wire, 3 wire sensor: 12+V, 0V, and .22V. .22 is my Signal wire. I have hooked up EFIE exactly as instructed Red > 12+V, Black > 0V, Green > O2 Sensor, and White > ECU. When I probe for a reading I get a negative voltage (red to white and black to green), I have ensured that I have wired the board correctly.

When I probe the signal, and it is indeed negative, it gives me a reading between .22 to .25 V, but I have a problem when I hook the red wire to a 12V+ source: Voltage jumps to 1.86V. I hope the board isn't damaged, as a heard a slight click, but do not see any damage. What is the problem here? I tried hooking it up off the generator signal, battery, as well as the windshield wiper (12V+). Please help!!
03-29-2009 11:19 AM
colchiro Offline

See the efie installation instructions on the Documents page (link in my sig).

2 vdc scale or 200 mv scale, any of those that doesn't read over-range should work.

It doesn't sound to me like you have the wire, but that link above should explain it better.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-29-2009 12:52 PM
colchiro Offline

Did your efie work ok when you did the test Mike posted above (and the green, brown, blue, white are disconnected from the vehicle)?

In other words, without connecting to the vehicle (except for +12v and ground), and your black probe on the green and red probe on white and meter set to 2 vdc, your efie should range up and down when the pot is turned, yielding a positive voltage that gradually climbs when the pot it turned CW and falls when turned CCW. Your meter should indicate a minimum of about 100 mv dc when all the way CCW and somewhere around 400 mv or so when turned CW. The pot has about 20 turns from end to end and will click when turned too far.

Rick

03-29-2009 05:22 PM