Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with 2006 Chrysler Town & Country
jsherk Offline

Help with 2006 Chrysler Town & Country
I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country with 3.3L engine.

PROBLEM #1:

I have located my 4-wire upstream oxygen sensor (my mechanic showed me where it was), and I am trying to determine which wire is the signal wire, but here is what happens when I take measurements on the 4 different wires:
First wire = +14 volts (this is obviously the heater wire).
Second wire = varies between 7 and 8 micro volts (probably a ground?)
Third wire = varies between 1 and 2 micro volts (probably a ground?)
Fourth wire = holds steady at about 2.5 volts

I watched the fuelsave-mpg video, and understand that I should see a fluctuating reading between about 0.1 and 0.9 volts on my digital multimeter. I made sure my meter was on VoltsDC (I tried VoltsAC, but all readings were 0), and I made sure my meter was on the correct scale.

I also have a ScanGauge II, and it reports the O2 sensor readings, which I can watch fluctuate between about 10 and 80 (range is 0 to 99 which I assume would represent 0 volts to .99 volts).

I took the readings on the pigtail wires that come right off the oxygen sensor, so I know I have the right wires.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

PROBLEM #2:
Any thoughts on using the really skinny vacuum line that goes to the cruise control box? Can I hook up my HHO mason jar to that line?

Thanks
03-11-2009 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

RE: Help with 2006 Chrysler Town & Country
Hi js.

You can email Bruce for info on which sensor type you have (narrow band/wide band), which efie you need and which wire to use.

Also note my Documents link below, which links to all of Mike's o2 sensor and efie documents.

Many of the Chrysler products use a 5 wire o2 and I believe a higher o2 voltage that still varies the same 1 volt, but is offset by a few volts so would be like 2.5-3.5 volts (or somewhere in that neighborhood). I'm trying to find some info, but nothing at this moment.

A 4 wire sensor without 2 sensor voltages or a ground and a quickly changing voltage sounds like you have the wrong wire or are missing one. You shouldn't have a steady voltage if the engine is running and warmed up.

If you feel you must use vacuum (I don't recommend it for beginners), I'd use the pcv hose. I wouldn't use anything critical like vacuum-boosted brakes or cruise control since it's very possible you're going to reduce that vacuum and find something doesn't work (or worse yet, develop a vacuum leak that leaves you without brakes).

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-11-2009 01:06 PM
jsherk Offline

Thanks colchiro...

I have already purchased a narrow band EFIE deluxe as recommended by fulesaver-mpg, and I already have the electrical schematic, but being color blind makes it difficult to distinguish colors of wires, so I prefer to rely on a volt meter to confirm which wire is correct. Also to get at the PCM (ECU) on t&c mini-van, you have to take the driver's side front wheel off and remove the indside wheel well cover, so the easiest place to check/test wires is right by the sensor itself. There are also no other sensors on the exhaust anywhere that I can see, and my mechanic told me that it was the oxygen sensor.

If the voltage is offset by 2.5 volts, then I probably need to use that 2.5v wire as the ground instead of the chassis. I will try measuring the wires relative to this 2.5v wire and see what happens and report back.

Thanks
03-11-2009 01:18 PM
mike Offline

Hi jsherk,

You are absolutely correct in taking your readings with your meter. Even if you had good color vision, once you find the "correct wire" you must test to make sure it's right.

First question: Is the sensor plugged in, with the engine running when you take your voltage tests? The engine must be allowed to run for a minute so that the sensor has time to heat up before it will give sensible readings (or any at all).

Next, I went back and read up on the oxygen sensor for that vehicle. As suspected in the earlier post by colchiro, this vehicle's ECU puts 2.5 volts on the ground wire to the sensor. That means that when measuring the output wire with reference to ground, your voltages will range between 2.6 and 3.4 volts. This is exactly the same as what you saw in my video, but has 2.5 volts added. If you put your meter probes between the signal wire and the signal ground (which the ECU is putting 2.5 volts on), you will see the same readings as in the video (.100-.900 volts).

I think I need to make a little note about this issue in the instructions so folks don't get stuck when this comes up. But that's what's going on with your vehicle.

[Image: signature.gif]
Visit Our Documents Page
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 02:07 PM by mike.)
03-11-2009 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colchiro Offline

Thanks for filling in the blanks, Mike. I did scan thru the wb and nb efie instructions, hoping there was some reference to this.

Rick

Links: Documents / Tuning for Mileage | Toyota Sensors | Autoshop Sensor Tutorials
03-11-2009 05:50 PM
jsherk Offline

I initially tried to take readings with the sensor disconnected, but all that did was cause my check engine light to come on, which by the way, is how I know it must be the oxygen sensor because the Error Code read by ScanGauge II is for the 1/1 Oxygen Sensor.

I then went back and used the 2.5V wire as the ground, and put the positive lead on the other wire, and the readings started to jumpt around exactly like in the video.

The pigtail wires that come off my oxygen sensor are white, white, grey, and black. The two white wires are for the heater, and the grey wire is the 2.5V GROUND, and the black wire is the signal wire.

There was no mention of this in the installation instructions for the EFIE, so it was a little confusing. I was looking thru other posts, and found this one with two references to people using the Black wire instead of the Grey wire and it working:
http://www.fuel-saver.org/showthread.php?tid=2344

So, anyway, it appears that the mystery of the Chrysler-Dodge O2 sensor is solved!!!

SUMMARY:
When checking pigtail wires from O2 sensor and measuring to Chassis Ground you should see:
White = Heater (+14 Volts)
White = Heater (Close to 0 Volts)
Grey = 2.5V (O2 Sensor Ground/Return)
Black = varies (O2 Sensor wire)

When checking pigtail wires from Grey wire (negative lead of multimeter) to Black (positive lead of multimeter) you should see the appropriate voltage varying from .1 to .9 volts. IF this is the case, then the Black wire is your signal wire.
03-12-2009 08:16 AM
colchiro Offline

Glad you got it figured out.

This is a rare setup, but Mike will get the documentation updated when he gets a chance.

Rick

03-12-2009 01:39 PM
John Sargent Offline

"I watched the fuelsave-mpg video"
Rick,
Would you please post the link to the video mentioned in this thread?
Thanks much,
John Sargent
03-12-2009 05:26 PM
colchiro Offline

My Documents link... Efie installation.... video link is just before section 2: http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieInstall.html

Rick

03-12-2009 05:37 PM